LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Having now trawled through the plethora of threads on this very emotive subject, I have just one question.
Has anyone, with a sophisticated alarm system, and I’m thinking more of the Strikeback (No 1 on the thread count so far) and high end Cobra (No 2 on your threads), ever been robbed or unit stolen with the Alarm set?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having now trawled through the plethora of threads on this very emotive subject, I have just one question.
Has anyone, with a sophisticated alarm system, and I’m thinking more of the Strikeback (No 1 on the thread count so far) and high end Cobra (No 2 on your threads), ever been robbed or unit stolen with the Alarm set?

Alarms are to keep you and your contents safe, and rather the Immobiliser should take care of the unit theft. That said vehicles with sophisticated alarms and immobilisers are stolen every day. Immobilisers are hard to defeat so very often the theft is made using the owners keys.

I rely on two things to keep my vehicle from being stolen. The regular factory fitted immobiliser, for when crooks don't have my keys, and a phone operated immobiliser/tracker for when they have stolen my keys and negated my alarm and immobiliser with them.

I rely on the alarm to deter crooks and give me a restful sleep within; knowing that I will be woken should someone try to break in. And to scare the shite out of them with internal sirens if someone breaks in when I'm not in it.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
A very good point Robert, but insurance companies insist on alarms that range from £185 - £599. So, do the higher range ones deter more, or is it just piece of mind?

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
I am with Jim on this. Alarm immobilisor a MUST. I also have a tracker (self fit in my case) which will notify me if any breakin takes place. With mine it also can be linked to various sensors. The ones I chose to link up were:-
1. Alarm
2. Immobilisor.
3. Fuel Shut Off.

These were the ones I felt were of most use for Security. Also enable Geo-Fencing so if your Motorhome is moved it will notify & track.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A very good point Robert, but insurance companies insist on alarms that range from £185 - £599. So, do the higher range ones deter more, or is it just piece of mind?

The cost of motorhomes vary considerably as do the uses that people use them for.

I would suggest that a couple that park their motorhome in a locked garage, (alarmed) with security posts and only ever travel to Caravan Club sites, never park on car parks or open parking places, have a different security criteria to a couple who live in or are enjoying an extended trip, travelling around Europe.

With all of the permutations in between.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I think the cost element for me is more to try and guard against the alarm unit failing or a fault in the installation leaving me miles from home and high and dry!

Nothing is 100% but a system that's been tried and tested by many others before you, fitted by a company that's highly experienced at the job and totally familiar with the product they supply is worth a few extra quid in my view

No prizes for guessing who springs to mind re the above!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

If you have to have one no need to spend more then £4-500. I dont see that lighting the van up like a Christmas tree as any kind of deterrent.....the opposite probably true (again my opinion) flashing leds behind windscreen sufficient

You can go on Thatcham site and ID Approved commercial van company's. it good to have local support I think. I like Autowatch, have found them very reliable, they now do specific systems for motorhomes.... You only need a 2 for 1 upgrade as you already have a cat 2 immobiliser..

Broken Link Removed

have been at this 25 years and not been burgled yet..I don't even have an alarm now. just the flashing led in windscreen ( fitted outside blind) and cheap window and door alarms. dummy Cobra alarm stickers:) better to fit a safe (again my opinion) as most either opportunist theft(door unlocked) or smash and grab with alarm sounding...Secondary dead locking a good investment, with security plates on door handles....stop them getting in in the first place.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think the problem with a single internal flashing led is that an attacker may assume it's the engine immobiliser rather than a perimeter alarm

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Thanks to you all for the input so far. I will have the factory fitted Fiat alarm and immobiliser as standard and have, ready to be fitted, a Smartrack Tracker System. So it is the alarm side that is still posing the thought process at the moment.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

In answer to the original question, I have strikeback growler fitted an not had a break in or the Moho stolen, last year stayed at various UK sites & two weeks in France, this year various UK sites and 3 weeks touring around France.

We do use Aires and as other Funsters will point out some are better than others, but if it looked iffy we didn't stop. Though if an aire is empty on arrival you have no idea if it's a crime hot spot. Having the alarm set does give us peace of mind.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A simple siren alarm is only good for your own peace of mind.

When did you last see a crowd of people rushing to a vehicle whos alarm was sounding to see what was happening........NEVER.
They are so commonplace nobody takes any notice....even on houses.

A more complicated alarm/immobiliser may stop vehicle theft but the siren side is just the same....ignored or complained about.

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Vanbitz Strikeback fitted when we were living and touring in our van. Felt very safe and secure and happy to leave the van parked up when we visited places. Now, no real alarm system but we only tour locally and have a much smaller/cheaper van now. Horses for courses?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

When did you last see a crowd of people rushing to a vehicle whos alarm was sounding to see what was happening........NEVER.

A more complicated alarm/immobiliser may stop vehicle theft but the siren side is just the same....ignored or complained about.
Your wrong

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Don't take my opinion! Reevsie posted this yesterday

Had the growler (along with other bits) fitted to my MH in June this year. Last night I forgot to turn off the internal sirens and I got up about 3am to let the dog out to do its business at it was barking at the door. I opened the door and all the sirens went off, inside and out. In the panic to find the key fob I dropped it down the back of the couch. The alarm went off after about 30 seconds. The only way to get to the key fob was to open an external locker, So the alarm went off again.

I would disagree that nobody takes any notice of the alarm as mote the half of the other motorhomes were woken up and came outside to see what was going on. And by the way the internal sirens are louder than I thought. It was painful to be inside the van. It may not stop a thief trying to get into the MH, But the lights will make it a deterrent and when the sirens go off they will want to scarper quickly.

Insurance companies aren't known for throwing their money around for no reason, so why do so many insurers give a discount when a qualifying alarm is installed? Insurance companies work on facts, current facts, not opinions, garnered and formed ten, twenty, thirty years ago.

How many of us would ignore, turn our backs, skulk away, if we saw a motorhome with an alarm sounding and an obvious burglary taking place? In this day and age of selfies and social media, can anyone honestly say that they wouldn't take a picture? phone the police, ask what was happening? I cannot believe that people would stand by and watch a motorhome be vandalised or riffled and do or say nothing.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But then, you have a vested interest to say that Eddie.
It may be different on a campsite but 8n the street or supermarket carpark nobody takes a blind bit of notice, often walking right next to the vehicle.
I refer to my previous explanations. Are you saying that you would turn a blind eye if you say a motorhome, being burgled?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But then, you have a vested interest to say that Eddie.
It may be different on a campsite but 8n the street or supermarket carpark nobody takes a blind bit of notice, often walking right next to the vehicle.
You may be right, but a decent Motorhome alarm with multiple external LED's will have a deterrant effect

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't take my opinion! Reevsie posted this yesterday
It would be interesting to know how many of the "half the other motorhomers" wandered over to ask if everything was ok or how long it took the police to arrive after all the calls regarding an alarm were made.

I stand by my comment.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't have a vanbitz alarm.. I do want one though as it ticks all the boxes for me. (And complies with insurance requirements )
If I was on a site or aire and I heard an alarm going off I would have a look.
In the street. .?? Maybe not as keen to check but I would look.
There's virtually no chance of the police attending a car (motorhome) alarm though as someone asked. If there's another factor such as suspicious activity or just damaged etc then it will get a graded response.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It would be interesting to know how many of the "half the other motorhomers" wandered over to ask if everything was ok or how long it took the police to arrive after all the calls regarding an alarm were made.

I stand by my comment.
Fair enough, are you prepared to answer the question?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Certainly Eddie, if i was up and about i would have a look, but my health and wellbeing is far more important than someones motorhome so i would not intervene...you dont know what the intruder is capable of.
If it was 3am i would grumble about the noise and go back to sleep...as reevsey said, half the campsite was awake and outside anyway.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Sirens are generally ignored by the public yes, but they are not fitted to alert the public. See this post http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorhome-alarms.118037/page-3#post-1601082

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
  • A thief looking at your van in the night, LED's flashing, obviously alarmed, most will be deterred and softer targets chosen.
So Jim, you dont actually need an alarm to deter a thief....just a flashing LED.
Just to remind everyone that this is just an opinion (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
And you can get them to spell "Merry Christmas" which is ideal for winter use :D

Having these fitted at the weekend......

eddies.jpg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
  • A thief looking at your van in the night, LED's flashing, obviously alarmed, most will be deterred and softer targets chosen.
So Jim, you dont actually need an alarm to deter a thief....just a flashing LED.
I am happy to lock you in a Motorhome with a Growler system doing its stuff, and time your exit lol

Your post goes contrary to all the advice from the Police, The Home office, the insurance companies, people who actually deal with crime and the effect and after mouth of crime of a regular basis, as opposed to an opinion based on..what?

It also goes against the experience of members of this club. People with first hand experience, but "hey, we'll gloss over that inconvenient truth"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back