Alarms and trackers -on the brink of buying (1 Viewer)

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Hi Funsters, I've gone for two separate but linked posts as I see multiple questions in one thread gets messy.
Looking at a new MH 2017 Chausson Welcome 638EB.
Cars stolen from drives locally in the last weeks. Apart from the obvious home security and keeping the keys safe I'm think we need an alarm and possible a tracker.
Advice welcome, K

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The first question is whether or not it will be an insurance requirement which only your insurer can tell you.

If they do have a requirement it will be for a Thatcham Category 1 (or 2 to 1 upgrade which is the same thing) alarm or a Thatcham Category 5 or 6 tracking device or possibly both.

These have to be professionally fitted by an approved installer. The approved installer is the key thing as nobody else will be able to provide the paperwork you need.

A Cat 5 or 6 tracker comes with a subscription based monitoring service so they aren't a cheap option if you don't need one.

If it's not an insurance requirement you have more choice.

You could still go with proper Thatcham systems which is what I would recommend, you could go for professionally fitted but unapproved systems or you could buy and fit some DIY kit yourself which would probably be the cheapest option but unless you really know what your doing also by far the worst option.

If you're looking for recommendations then I would speak to your insurers first and find out exactly what they will require if anything and then speak to @eddievanbitz for a Growler alarm system to start with and then either a Thatcham tracker or a Non Starter depending on what the insurers want.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The first question is whether or not it will be an insurance requirement which only your insurer can tell you.

If they do have a requirement it will be for a Thatcham Category 1 (or 2 to 1 upgrade which is the same thing) alarm or a Thatcham Category 5 or 6 tracking device or possibly both.

These have to be professionally fitted by an approved installer. The approved installer is the key thing as nobody else will be able to provide the paperwork you need.

A Cat 5 or 6 tracker comes with a subscription based monitoring service so they aren't a cheap option if you don't need one.

If it's not an insurance requirement you have more choice.

You could still go with proper Thatcham systems which is what I would recommend, you could go for professionally fitted but unapproved systems or you could buy and fit some DIY kit yourself which would probably be the cheapest option but unless you really know what your doing also by far the worst option.

If you're looking for recommendations then I would speak to your insurers first and find out exactly what they will require if anything and then speak to @eddievanbitz for a Growler alarm system to start with and then either a Thatcham tracker or a Non Starter depending on what the insurers want.
Agree with all that. Strike back or growler alarm from vanbitz is the best and dedicated to motor homes, rather than a car alarm installed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Thank you. We're not DIYers so approved fitters work for me. Should we get the dealer to sort an appropriate alarm as part of the purchase in this situation?

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thank you. We're not DIYers so approved fitters work for me. Should we get the dealer to sort an appropriate alarm as part of the purchase in this situation?
No is the answer, follow the previous advice and have a ‘proper’ alarm fitted by @eddievanbitz , anything fitted by a dealer will be inferior.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Personally I wouldn't. I'd always use Vanbitz.

You could ask the dealer to arrange a fit but if you have to have Thatcham systems for insurance purposes you need to make absolutely sure beyond any doubt that that's what the dealer will fit. Ask who will be fitting the system and check them out here. If they don't appear on that list they are not an approved installer and your insurers will not accept the system.

It's not unknown for dealers to sell a system promising that it will be what you need and then not be able to provide the correct installation paperwork.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Vanbitz. Excellent system and excellent help if you need it. We had him fit the Growler alarm and Non Starter tracker and immobiliser. The advantage with that system is that you get a warning on your phone if somebody tries to start your motorhome or your alarm goes off.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have a Thatcham 1 Alarm and Cat 5 Tracker. However, I'm going to stick my neck out here and give my honest opinion. If it was not an insurance requirement I would have neither. How many times do you hear car alarms going off and nobody pays any attention what so ever. Granted, it may be different in your case if it was to alarm on your drive and should alert you. As for the tracker, my policy is new for old until 24 months old. So if someone makes off with it I never want to see it again and want the insurer to fork out for a nice new one. That's my honest view, I only fit because I have no other choice if I want to insure it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Thanks guys- so buy it from VanBitz and then use a local Thatcham approved installer from the list Nick helpfully linked to after scoping out what insures require?
Better just to see if we can push the price down a touch than get "extras"?

Upvote 0

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
@Griffithii - and don't forget that, as a Funster member, you get a 10% discount on the purchase and fit of systems from VanBitz. Their aftercare is excellent too. I recently had a problem with the microwave (internal) sensor on my Strikeback Growler, with intermittent false alarms. I contacted VanBitz and they very quickly sent out a new sensor, with detailed instructions on how to replace it, or an offer to book in and have it replaced by them. Good after sales customer service is hard to find in the motorhome world.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Another recommendation for strikeback/growler - great system!

Also @eddievanbitz have a good campsite and provide great and friendly service!! :)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks guys- so buy it from VanBitz and then use a local Thatcham approved installer from the list Nick helpfully linked to after scoping out what insures require?
Vanbitz do not do sale only. They only sell and fit AFAIK. They give 10% discount for fun members, but only if you tell them when you book.
I have a Thatcham 1 Alarm and Cat 5 Tracker. However, I'm going to stick my neck out here and give my honest opinion. If it was not an insurance requirement I would have neither. How many times do you hear car alarms going off and nobody pays any attention what so ever. Granted, it may be different in your case if it was to alarm on your drive and should alert you. As for the tracker, my policy is new for old until 24 months old. So if someone makes off with it I never want to see it again and want the insurer to fork out for a nice new one. That's my honest view, I only fit because I have no other choice if I want to insure it.
Tend to agree with your point on normal alarms. But the Growler works on the principle that it is so loud that it actually hurts, especially inside the moho, so the thief gives up before he can do too much damage or steal too much. And, of course, as soon as it goes off my phone (and my wife's phone) tells me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
All really helpful.
I think 360 miles travel might make a dent in the 10% but I feel much better informed now.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So if someone makes off with it I never want to see it again and want the insurer to fork out for a nice new one.

Lots of people, including me, used to say that. I don't say it anymore.

A post I made here a couple of years ago.

I used to think trackers were a waste of time. Often repeating the old mantra, "I wouldn't want it back if it had been nicked" But then heard about the guy who had his motorhome returned in under two hours after it was stolen from a French supermarket carpark. Imagine that..

"All excited, your off on your holidays. First stop the French supermarket to stock up on wine beer and fancy French biscuits. So with a trolley full of shopping, you come out of the store and stand in shock. your motorhome has gone, stolen! Are you going to see your motorhome ever again? How are you going to get home? Holiday ruined, possessions lost, weeks or months of delay while your insurers haggle over how much they are going to pay you and they are not going to replace special jewellery or photographs etc.

Motorhomes are rarely if ever stolen by joy riders, they are stolen to sell on or ship quickly. With a tracker fitted, your motorhome could be located in seconds. In less than a couple of hours you could be putting your beer in the fridge and continuing with your holiday. Motorhomes don't get stolen that often, but if mine does, I'll know where it is.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My way of thinking too about alarms generally ... we've always had one fitted to our last few MHs/campers but no-one every takes any notice if the alarms go off so I can't really see the point, an extra immobiliser however is another matter as that would at least make it much more difficult to 'move' it.

As for the loud siren on the Van Bitz alarm, I certainly would NOT want to be in the camper if it went off accidentally and the though of our dogs being trapped inside if we're away from the van having to listing to it if it went off fills me with dread! I can appreciate that this is a very loud deterrent to anyone that does break in when the van is empty but for me the possible risk of us/dogs being deafened far outweighs it for me.

Now a tracker ... I'm undecided about them, I can see the appeal of being able to 'find' your MH if it gets nicked but in reality how 'real' is that risk especially if you've fitted an extra immobiliser unless they use a low loader in which case they are probably very well organised and would be able to 'shift' your camper very quickly and have a way to disable the tracker anyway!

If you HAVE to fit an alarm and/or tracker for insurance purposes (and can't get a policy not needing this) then obviously you don't have a choice but if you do, then don't think that an alarm or tracker will totally protect you.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
NOTHING will protect you from a professional thief determined to steal YOUR motorhome at any cost.

All I am trying to do is to make mine less attractive for him to steal than the other ones around it in the car park, campsite or Aire. And make it less likely that he will be able to drive it away if he steals my Keys, unless he also steals my phone and manages to unlock it. And if he manages all that I want to make it more likely that I will be able to recover it quickly.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Is this Chausson model one of those where you get a choice of Ford or Fiat? Insurers seem to asking the question whether it is a Ford on the proposal. Odd, that. :whistle:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Vanbitz won't sell you the kit. It's supply and fit only. I'm only up the road from you and I've been down there several times, the journey isn't bad, you get a night on their campsite so make a bit of a trip out of it.

You've probably got more chance of negotiating extras from the dealer than getting the cost down.

Just leave security systems off the list. There are plenty of other things you can try and get that the dealer should be more than capable of doing - an awning, solar panels, refillable gas, a decent TV, sat dish or aerial just off the top of my head. The list is endless and the dealers are usually more inclined to include things like that than give you money off the windscreen price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Thanks. The one we're looking at today is on the Fiat so marginally better re stealability. The best security will be if we can fit it up the side of the house with a substantial gate in front- works with a tape measure!
I can see getting LPG a good extra to try and negotiate =/- Tv aerial. Will bear all this in mind. :)

Upvote 0

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We have the vanbitz Growler and non start fitted and we traveled down from Glasgow specially to get it fitted. As to the tracker, as soon as our insurance does not require it as part of the policy it is getting cancelled, waste of money as the Locate GPS/GSM system keeps crashing and needs to be reset if possible by the Tracker control room. The VHF works all the time as it periodically checks in with roadside sensors which you can see on the tracker app. The non starter has a GPS system built in that allows you on the app to see the vans location. Also to steal the MoHo they will need a low loader and a decent set of ear plugs and that's just for starters.:whistle::D(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back