Alarming news about Motorhome travel to western isles (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
The soaring number of campervans travelling to the Western Isles has prompted a call for a new “motorhome levy”.

Local MSP Alasdair Allan, who is also Scotland’s minister for international development and Europe, has raised the controversial idea after highlighting a near tenfold rise in campervan numbers on the Outer Hebrides.

And he has written to his SNP colleague Humza Yousaf, minister for transport and the islands, to ask for the tax to be considered.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Where have you been this last week . :LOL:
It's been discussed several times:)

OP
OP
Rolly
Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
Where have you been this last week . :LOL:
It's been discussed several times:)
Whoops sorry missed that... and excuse was hospital having pacemaker fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@Rolly Hope all went well at the hospital.

IMG_4923.JPG

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Typical UK reaction, charge people more for something they are doing. But how does he think a levy will sort the problem out?
People will pay it, what then?
If he’s Minister for international developmenf, shouldn’t he be developing something to benefit the community from this massive influx of tourists?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And I have a reply from the MSP

"Thank you for contacting me about the debate in the Western Isles about how best to improve the facilities for campervans and for your interesting comments on this and the state of island infrastructure.

I should note that at this moment this is no proposal from the Scottish Government for any additional levy on ferry fares. There is however, a local debate about how best to ensure we have the infrastructure which motorhomes need, and as local MSP, I responded to that debate.

The idea of an additional charge by the community on motorhomes to fund facilities is one local suggestion, but only one of many, and it is a good thing we seem to have opened up a wide-ranging discussion on tourist infrastructure.

Kind regards,

Alasdair Allan
MSP for Na h-Eileanan an Iar
alasdair.allan.msp@parliament.scot
01851 700357
20 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, HS1 2DR"

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
They would have to put the levy on ALL vehicles visiting, otherwise could be construed as "Racial Harassment " to motorhomers.....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Sounds like it would be worth contacting Alasdair Allan and giving him some helpful pointers from our side of the fence.
As I recall, he was the one that stirred the idea up rather than the "local community". Same issue as Skye ....... infrastructure decades behind what is needed for today's visitors.

Reactions: DBK
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Typical.... people show an interest in a place then.... “let’s build a bloody big car park and charge everyone a tenner” I bet that’s what they do....(n)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Typical.... people show an interest in a place then.... “let’s build a bloody big car park and charge everyone a tenner” I bet that’s what they do....(n)
I think the problem is, not turning the Western Isles into a bloody big motorhome park :) . The meteoric rise in mh use in the UK has caught a lot of communities off guard and it takes time and will and money to develop suitable facilities.
Money in particular being in short supply at the moment!

Reactions: DBK

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
We have travelled to the Western Isles, well just Harris and Lewis, also Arran and Islay. On principal we purchase our fuel and food etc. from the locals instead of loading up on the mainland. This action puts cash into the local economy, even though it costs us a little extra. Our practice has been much appreciated, with results that we have been told of some brilliant wildcamp stopovers that we would not have found otherwise. Those vans that do not use local businesses are held in contempt, with that the result of a few tarnishing the reputation of many.
It is to catch these who do not use local services that this charge may be introduced (not sure though if the charge will actually go to support the local economy but end up elsewhere)

Just to add, we are planning our next Scots trip, from Oban to Barra, up through Eriskay, South Uist, North Uist, Harris and Lewis then over to Skye.
Cost of ferries with our 5.95M Benimar Mileo 313 and the good lady and myself works out to £178.35 so the wife will also have the scenery of the islands plus a sea cruise thrown in!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Typical government scrote idea,
Instead of saying we are looking into a charge for motor homes to enable us to improve road links, parking and welfare facilities that would have gone down better, it’s just another knob trying to get brownie points by bringing in more money to waste on crap ideas probably miles away.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just to add, we are planning our next Scots trip, from Oban to Barra, up through Eriskay, South Uist, North Uist, Harris and Lewis then over to Skye.

It looks and sounds horrendous. Ferry prices seem good but once you get there! What are the roads like?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have just discovered the Western Isles. A friend lives on Islay and we have stayed in her Garden.

I would not mind some form of Tourist Tax, after all, so many of us pay it in Europe. But it would have to apply to all tourists (non residents).

Otherwise, we will put the £120-£200 Ferry fare towards P&O North Sea or Brittany Ferries.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It looks and sounds horrendous. Ferry prices seem good but once you get there! What are the roads like?
The Islands have some of the most beautiful views in the UK, and the people are very friendly. Councillors and MPs need something to get publicity.

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
Roads can be 'interesting' with a lot of single track, but as our van is of the smaller variety of coachbuilt we had no problems.
When we arrived in Islay off the ferry, as we met 'the locals' driving in the opposite direction, we were given a wave. At first when the second and third 'local' waved at us, I thought that there was something wrong with the Mhome that I had not seen; but no; the majority of locals waved to us to welcome us onto the island!
Its because it is so beautiful there that we keep going back.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We traveled from Barra up to Lewis and back down again two years ago in a 7.0m coachbuilt, no problems whatsoever. Use sites, camped on beaches, bought local produce (scallops, salmon, crab and lobster). Possibly the best trip we've ever done, mind you, it didn't rain and had sunshine every day. Look forward to going back but not if they hike up the fares. I live in Scotland and understand the idea of a 'motorhome levy' has basically died the death, I've certainly not had any notifications about it for nearly three months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back