Alarm? Tracker? What do I need????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Anesta, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi everybody,
    in the process of buying a Hymer (still deciding Exsis-i or Exsis-t....) , both worth around £60000. I have been reading quite a lot about insurance and I am now so confused: can I get insurance without a tracker? Does having a tracker mean having to pay an annual fee on top of the purchasing and fitting costs?
    i know the argument: if you spend so much for the van, why worry about a few extra hundred (or thousand...) £ for security. The thing is that the motorhome will sit in storage, so who is going to do anything about it if alarm goes off anyway? But, ok it is still good to have an alarm for when I move around and park up.
    But how about the tracker? Does any reputable insurer accept that I may not have one?
    Thanks again for any help from now...
    And another thing, just out of curiosity: Exsis-i or Exsis-t? My wife and I can't seem to agree!

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +87,768
    We have a Strikeback Growler fitted by Vanbitz in Taunton, contact @eddievanbitz. All doors and lockers are alarmed, it has a remote engine blocker and a tracker built in to it. The alarm alerts us by phone if it is set off.
    Other alarm systems/trackers are available but a large number of Funsters go to see Eddie........... Well not actually Eddie 'cos he's an ugly old bugger. :sick: :imoutahere:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,307
    Speak to your insurers and ask their requirements.
    As for the growler alarm, if you disable the interior sensors because you're in the van, or you've left pets in there, the alarm won't go off if they get in through a window.

4. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +21
    Thank you Paul. Do you have to pay every year for the tracker part of ii?

5. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +22,964
    You would hope that the four daylight bright LED's (one inside and three outside) and the fact that your in the van may have put them off in the first place, but you can elect to have vulnerable windows switched if your really worried (y)

I think that the numbers of people that suffer losses with our Growler system fitted is extremely low, given how many times we are recommended:)

To the OP there was a good example posted on here last week where a Swift was stolen from a Funsters drive, tracked but not alarmed. The motorhome was recovered in less than two hours.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
    • Like it Like it x 2
  6. stewartwebr

stewartwebr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    The only way you will know the requirements is by speaking to the insurers who will advise the requirements of the particular underwriter.
    Most insurers, if they do stipulate a tracker and alarm will want Thatcham approved. My tracker HAD to be Thatcham Cat 5 (highest) and Alarm Thatcham Cat 1
    If they do stipulate Thatcham Cat 5 tracker their will be installation costs of around 750GBP and an annual fee of around 200GBP. You can pay a one off fee to have subscription for as long as you own the vehicle in some cases.
    Check with insurer first and I would only go with the highest Thatcham as that is the ONLY thing insurers recognized regardless how good the system is. The question gets asked by the computer, "is it Thatcham Cat 5" simply a yes or no can be put in, you cannot negotiate so be careful what you select.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. stewartwebr

stewartwebr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    Eddie,

Just for my reference, is Growler Thatcham approved?

Thanks,

Stewart

8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,307
    I breed special chihuahuas. Think of them as canine piranhas.....
    Screenshot_20180725-170054_Google.jpg

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Ratings:
    +892
    What he says, we have a Strikeback from @eddievanbitz which also includes a remote tracker/immobiliser. Eddie's boys will do a very professional installation. The new tracker is I believe better than the one we have which requires a new Sim every so often if the MoHo is stored out of mobile range. The new one is sub based so remains 'live' even if not interrogated for a while. Just be warned they will want you out of the van at some ungodly hour in the morning so come prepared and set your alarm early:whistle:. Oh and yes Eddies box of tricks is Thatcham approved, you will get a cert with the installation

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Badknee

Badknee Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +87,768
    Yes, works out at a £1 a week. (y)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +21
    Looks like I will contact Eddie before I head off to Germany to pick up the van, then!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. The Dotties

The Dotties Funster

Ratings:
    +2,506
    If you do decide on vanbitz, there’s 10% discount for funsters. Make sure you ask before booking.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +8,271
    First port of call is your proposed insurers - you may not need a tracker at all. Our insurers (NFU) don't require a tracker of any kind.

• Like it Like it x 3
  14. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +21
    I will contact a few insurers. Do they all cater for German imports? Or are they going to be picky? Just because steering wheel is on the other side (which makes driving on the continent easier...and since that's where I spend most of my holidays...)

15. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +8,271
    No, it shouldn't make any difference which side the steering wheel is on. Ours is LHD.

16. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +22,964
    Yes it is (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Jenben

Jenben Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,013
    We also have an Exsis, picked it up in Belgium and had an alarm fitted whilst it was parked on the drive. The insurer didn’t need us to have a tracker , just a Thatcham approved alarm and a mobile fitter was able to do this for us.

18. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +21
    Exsis i or Exsis t? :)

19. Jenben

Jenben Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,013
    Exsis i. @Anesta , we have had it almost 3 years now.

20. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +46,462
    I’d suggest an alarm
    An immobiliser
    And a tracker

Maximum deterrent
    Maximum protection
    And maximum likelihood of recovering your van if it’s stolen

• Like it Like it x 2