Alarm System (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
We are soon to take ownership of a new motorhome, the trip to the Show at the NEC proved very costly. I wondered what type of alarm system funsters recommend (it would have to be CAT 1 level) and where best to get them fitted. I expect it will cost £600 - £700 is this a realistic price?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Strike back would be my choice and that of many. You get a punster discount as well. Eddie Vanbitz is your man - he is on here

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I too would go for the Strikeback. It is designed specifically for motorhomes with features such as a microwave internal sensor (PIRs are not ideal in a motorhome) and an accessory loop to secure a rear bike rack etc.
A bit of a haul from Leicestershire to Taunton to get it fitted, but you can stay on the campsite at Cornish Farm. Welll worth the trip in my opinion.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd go with the Strikeback too. And Cornish Farm is a great site.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here is a few tips on buying an alarm.

Don’t choose an overly complicated alarm.
Ask for a demonstration of the alarm, you want to know that it is easy to arm and disarm, some are fiddly, especially to get into sleep mode.

Remote Notification

If your budget runs to it; look for an alarm that will communicate with your phone and let you know when it is triggered. Preferably with a map showing precisely where it is and better still if you can have it alert more than one phone.

No really loud chirps.
Choose a motorhome alarm system that flashes to indicate it is working, rather than one which loudly beeps or buzzes as this noise can make you pretty unpopular on a campsite.

Insist on interior sirens.
These are so much more important than external, (though you will want external as well) A loud internal siren is incapacitating and burglars will not stay long in a van with these screaming; leaving well hidden items undisturbed. Internal sirens need to be very loud to be effective, so its important that the internal sirens can be isolated for times when we leave pets in the van.

Choose an alarm that lets people know it is alarmed.
The biggest value that an alarm gives is one of deterrent. Warning stickers are good but in-your-face warning LED’s are better. So many alarms designed for cars which are sold to motorhomers; are not equipped with external warning LEDS, Of course internal ‘warning-I-am-alarmed’ are great in a car, flashing away on the dashboard, but in a motorhome, as soon as curtains and screens are in place burglars cannot see the vehicle is alarmed. You cannot have too many external lights. These should leave a burglar in no doubt that your vehicle is alarmed. This will push crooks toward softer targets.

Lockers need to be secured.
Lockers are an easy way into many motorhomes and should always be secured and alarmed. The best alarms also have alarm extension loops so you can easily secure exterior items such as bikes or trailers, bringing them under the protection of your alarm system. These loops are handy on site too as you can quickly loop all exterior items such as bikes chairs and BBQs and have them alarmed over night.

Sleep mode.
You need to specify a sleep mode. This should be easily and positively activated; if it is not then you will not use it. You should always sleep with this sleep mode activated, whether on site or not. We get used to noise from outside, especially when parked up on motorway service areas or busy sites, this makes us sleep pretty soundly and this is one of the reasons we are more vulnerable to theft when we are asleep that we might imagine. The sleep mode should activate your perimeter to include doors and lockers.

Panic Button
Good alarms have a panic button mode. Activate it and all the sirens sound. There are a number of scenarios where a panic button is a good idea. Especially when incorporated with a pager/phone system that lets others know you’re in trouble.

Last but not least.
Alarms have mechanical as well as electrical components and they involve a lot wire runs all over your motorhome. While a good alarm should last as long as a motorhome, it may well require servicing from time to time. So satisfy yourself, as much as you can, that the dealer you buy from is going to be around for a while and is professional enough to make detailed notes and photographs of your particular installation so should something go wrong in even years from now, they know exactly where to go to put it right.

If you can tick all those boxes you'll have a good alarm and it will probably be a Strikeback. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My take on it for what its worth...

Thatcham site for recommended and approved commercial van installers in your area:
https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/thatcham-assured/thatcham-recognised-installer

Don't go over the top, no one takes a blind bit of notice of alarms these days..simply seen as an annoyance. The thieves are certainly not bothered, will be in and out with alarm blaring....then seen exiting your pride and joy with your pillow case full of your valuables in minutes?

a properly fitted safe a good idea

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Most crime that Motorhome owners encounter is opportunistic, people creeping around scrumptiously, spur of the moment not wanting confrontation. These people are easy deterred and will move onto the next easy target if confronted by the possibility of a security system being present. The proof of this is the number of reported cases where three or four Motorhomes are burgled and the ones that are obviously alarmed are left untouched.

Vehicle crime has plummeted over the last decade or so, down to more effective security and locks. That is not an opinion but fact.

Saying that all alarms are the same is like saying that all Motorhomes are the same.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Thanks for all your replies, extremely helpful and informative

When you go for the Strikeback alarm get used to using the sleep mode. We switch ours on even if we are in the most secure of places as we can sleep, move around etc whilst alarm is ON. PERFECT.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
until you take the dog out for a leak at 0300 and forget to turn it off before you open the door:D

not that I've ever done that of course:whistle:

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have been looking at alarm systems for a few weeks after reading the great reviews from other funsters on the strickback alarm Ihave booked in to have one fitted by vanbitz staying on there site at taunton.living in Leicester myself It is around a 3 hour trip If you time your trip to miss rush hour traffic.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back