Alarm remotes have lost their range (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Can anybody through any light as to why both our alarm remotes have lost their range or the alarm has lost it's receiving range.
I can now only set and unset the alarm if the remote is used at the bottom corner of the windscreen at the drivers side.
Yes I have put fresh batteries in the remotes and the alarm is an Autowatch 695 fitted to an Elddis Autoquest 175.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Have you tried it when the motorhome is parked in another location? Could be local interference?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wonder if the backup battery in the alarm has had it. I would talk to your Autowatch supplier. I've had Autowatch alarms fitted to all 3 vans we have had, very little problems with them and the back up from the guy that fitted them is great.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Have you tried it when the motorhome is parked in another location? Could be local interference?

Our motorhome is parked in the same place at the back of our house and has not move for a couple of months.
I have now moved it 50 yards and still the same.

I wonder if the backup battery in the alarm has had it. I would talk to your Autowatch supplier. I've had Autowatch alarms fitted to all 3 vans we have had, very little problems with them and the back up from the guy that fitted them is great.

I have just been on the phone to a tech guy at Autowatch and he is baffled as to why the lose of range and he says the only backup battery is in the sounder unit and has no influence on the control unit. I have even asked the neighbours if they have any new tech that might cause the problem.

I'm now trying to locate the alarm unit antenna to see if that has moved to nearer metalwork or power wiring.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It's been a bit nippy out there this morning, so popped in for a warm up.

It is just about ½ m of wire coming out of the main unit.

Struggling to find the main unit as it looks to be well buried. Logically the antenna should be somewhere near the bottom of the "A" post as that's where the fobs are setting and un-setting.

One of these is handy for checking fobs etc...
You could determine if the fob is transmitting and over what range... it could rule out that and point to the receiver side..
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/sealey...&utm_medium=Social+Search&utm_campaign=176013
Andy

Thanks for the link Andy.
As all 3 fobs are acting over the same short distance now, I feel that the problem points more towards the alarm unit end. A bit reluctant to fork out 20 odd quid until I have exhaust other avenues.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I was having the same operating range problem with the garage roller shutter remote when I went to get into the garage yesterday afternoon so wondered if next doors new VW 4x4 which was sat adjacent to our van on the other side of our hedge with it's keyless locking was interfering the frequency that my remotes are on, but after they garage that the problem persisted so I gave up for the day.

Just stepped out of the back door and bugger me as both the motorhome and garage shutter are now operating at normal range again, so I reckon that there must have been something fairly powerful in the area pumping out a radio signal that was interfering with the remotes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back