lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Shame he’s not a funster, he could have saved 10%.

I did wonder that as the OP's been a member for over 2 years and this was his second post, I'd have thought if he was researching alarms he'd have asked questions on here before looking on youtube.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I did wonder that as the OP's been a member for over 2 years and this was his second post, I'd have thought if he was researching alarms he'd have asked questions on here before looking on youtube.
I think I'd probably look at both reviews on here and the net. A pity the bloke complaining about the way it was fitted didn't contact to complain about the fitting I suppose we will never know why he didn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Having had a strikeback fitted, I am 100% satisfied that Vanbitz do a good job, the after sales service and support is as good as anywhere and by that I mean the likes of Apple. I would recommend anyone who has a motorhome to talk with vanbitz on the phone, go and visit them if they are unsure. I have seen the post on youtube and the individual is spectacular at whining!

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi, Having worked a lot with copex and spilt copex over the years at work, the thing I would have done different would have been at the Joint box, I would have used a multi way one and used glands, but that is my preference, not to say what was done is wrong.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am on a hiding to nothing really, because the really horrific looking images are photographs of things we didn't install, use or need. The wires that should have been hidden, are what looks to be a pair of twin core rear speaker wires and a camera cable, again nothing to do with us.

He makes a thing about cheap nasty door switches costing £1.19 Well ours don't but even so, the reason that "Contact switches" are widely used across the security industry is that they work, If I knew of a more aesthetic switch that was reliable and voltage free and Normally Closed, I would use it simple.

He complained that he had to fill the hole himself. Yes he probably did, but why would you want to? We have used 5mm sliding conduit and would have drilled a 5.5mm hole to allow the wire and the conduit snugly, which then the conduit would have been "P Clipped" and screwed and most importantly sealed completely with silicone. I think that a small neat hole with a piece of smooth conduit running through it far nicer to look at than a whirl of silicone around it inside a locker when the hole is sealed and waterproof from the underside. Had we silicone the inside of his locker as well as the outside I have no doubt that the narration would have said "look at that! Pointless as its sealed outside: Amateurs"

The cable run that "could" be construed wrong is the inside cable run. However, without access to the motorhome it is impossible to work out from the camera angle much, and I would guess that he hasn't taken anything from an angle that would remotely be flattering! But we would have chosen that path for exactly the reason that the OP states, when he complains that we didn't use the obvious easy straight run! Up and inside the chassis is better, more protected and hidden than on the outside of the chassis on the floor between the chassis rail and the side skirt. Listening to his grunting, huffing and puffing to gain access to video the wires prove the point

We have used Split conduit on that installation as the converter would have used it, Fiat for example use loads of it. For example, a lot of a Ford under dash loom is made using Ford looming tape, hiding trees in forests again.

The Waterproof LED he is being sarcastic about suggesting that the "split conduit" some how negates the fact that the LED is waterproof just shows he either knows nothing or a little bit. The LED's are waterproof, they are supplied to us on a "standing order" basis and are shipped to us (made in Europe as it happens) pre-wired, supplied with varying different lengths of wire. The split conduit that is slipped over the wiring is there more for aesthetics as much as anything else certainly not to make the wire waterproof.

The only thing that I would say is possible an issue is the wire emanating from the rear siren. Now, the wires are again, pre-wired and the sirens (and the wire connection) are waterproof. If you look you will see that the siren is screwed, securely with two large head galvanised screws, and the wire runs off at a right angle, and the conduit is again firmly fixed with a "P Clip" and a wide flanged screw to the wooden floor. For there to be a chance of the insulation being "worn away" the wire will have to be able to move independently to the everything else, but it can't.

Now lots of people would have an opinion on this, but the reality is that the Growler has a lifetime parts and labour warranty, and we have offered Growler since 2011 and have fitted that brand of Siren since the early 2000's I am not sure that I can remember any cases where we have had to replace the siren due to the wire wearing out on the bracket. The siren would have to be replaced as the "bend" is only a few millimetres from the wire ingress. This would result is the whole lot being changed and a bloody nuisance, We would have learnt our lesson.

So all in all, no idea who the bloke is, if he is a customer and so unhappy, I cannot understand why he didn't speak to us, email us, write to us! if I spent £1200 and thought that work was a fire hazard I certainly would want to discuss the issue with someone.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am on a hiding to nothing really, because the really horrific looking images are photographs of things we didn't install, use or need. The wires that should have been hidden, are what looks to be a pair of twin core rear speaker wires and a camera cable, again nothing to do with us.

He makes a thing about cheap nasty door switches costing £1.19 Well ours don't but even so, the reason that "Contact switches" are widely used across the security industry is that they work, If I knew of a more aesthetic switch that was reliable and voltage free and Normally Closed, I would use it simple.

He complained that he had to fill the hole himself. Yes he probably did, but why would you want to? We have used 5mm sliding conduit and would have drilled a 5.5mm hole to allow the wire and the conduit snugly, which then the conduit would have been "P Clipped" and screwed and most importantly sealed completely with silicone. I think that a small neat hole with a piece of smooth conduit running through it far nicer to look at than a whirl of silicone around it inside a locker when the hole is sealed and waterproof from the underside. Had we silicone the inside of his locker as well as the outside I have no doubt that the narration would have said "look at that! Pointless as its sealed outside: Amateurs"

The cable run that "could" be construed wrong is the inside cable run. However, without access to the motorhome it is impossible to work out from the camera angle much, and I would guess that he hasn't taken anything from an angle that would remotely be flattering! But we would have chosen that path for exactly the reason that the OP states, when he complains that we didn't use the obvious easy straight run! Up and inside the chassis is better, more protected and hidden than on the outside of the chassis on the floor between the chassis rail and the side skirt. Listening to his grunting, huffing and puffing to gain access to video the wires prove the point

We have used Split conduit on that installation as the converter would have used it, Fiat for example use loads of it. For example, a lot of a Ford under dash loom is made using Ford looming tape, hiding trees in forests again.

The Waterproof LED he is being sarcastic about suggesting that the "split conduit" some how negates the fact that the LED is waterproof just shows he either knows nothing or a little bit. The LED's are waterproof, they are supplied to us on a "standing order" basis and are shipped to us (made in Europe as it happens) pre-wired, supplied with varying different lengths of wire. The split conduit that is slipped over the wiring is there more for aesthetics as much as anything else certainly not to make the wire waterproof.

The only thing that I would say is possible an issue is the wire emanating from the rear siren. Now, the wires are again, pre-wired and the sirens (and the wire connection) are waterproof. If you look you will see that the siren is screwed, securely with two large head galvanised screws, and the wire runs off at a right angle, and the conduit is again firmly fixed with a "P Clip" and a wide flanged screw to the wooden floor. For there to be a chance of the insulation being "worn away" the wire will have to be able to move independently to the everything else, but it can't.

Now lots of people would have an opinion on this, but the reality is that the Growler has a lifetime parts and labour warranty, and we have offered Growler since 2011 and have fitted that brand of Siren since the early 2000's I am not sure that I can remember any cases where we have had to replace the siren due to the wire wearing out on the bracket. The siren would have to be replaced as the "bend" is only a few millimetres from the wire ingress. This would result is the whole lot being changed and a bloody nuisance, We would have learnt our lesson.

So all in all, no idea who the bloke is, if he is a customer and so unhappy, I cannot understand why he didn't speak to us, email us, write to us! if I spent £1200 and thought that work was a fire hazard I certainly would want to discuss the issue with someone.
Eddie, you have a great product and the thought you put in to what you do is second to none, there is always someone wishing to criticise and belittle. Everyone who come to you benefit from your experience. I would certainly be back if I had another van and would imagine so would every other customer of yours.

What makes me laugh is that in a reply to a comment on you tube he says " Try mabey todds They use a vodafone system" I assume he means https://www.toddsmotorhomes.co.uk that well known MoHo Security system provider (not).

Irritating as it is the guy is a 1st class plank

Just a thought on the old fashioned magnetic contact switches.....you right they work whilst there have been many changes in the security market those contact switches are still a core part of most if not all systems.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Perhaps offer a limit switch option (they are like a big industrial microswitch) 👍😁

Screenshot_20200602-124632_Opera.jpg

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
When all is said and done, statistics speak for themselves and I think we can all agree that these systems are one of, if not the best around.

just remind yourself of this little story

a proper mess these professional thieves left, but hey... the Vanbitz Installation did exactly what it was supposed to do !

I for one am not put off by one bad bit of feedback when it is put up against 99.99999999999% positive feedback.

After nearly a year of waiting for my new motorhome to arrive, I will be collecting it at the end of June and heading straight down to Taunton to have Eddie and his technicians kit my van out substantially. (subject to CV rules of course)

But why you might ask, it’s a 500 mile round trip and surely there are people closer to home....well because I know that if I ever have a problem it will be dealt with swiftly, courteously and professionally, not only for a miserly 12 months manufacturer’s warranty, but for its lifetime.

I don’t know Eddie at all and I wouldn’t recognise him in the street, but my experience so far has been absolutely top notch.
Ive had many an enquiry dealt with, received Genuinely helpful telephone calls from Eddie along with explanations to all of my questions with no pushy sales pitch.

Now that is something of a rarity these days !

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
I seemed to have stirred up a hornets nest which wasnt my intention at all.
In my defence I actually Googled Vanbitz to find his phone number to enquire if they are presently working, and installation costs with all intention to book a date once my snaggings had been corrected by the dealer.
My homework had been already done and I had very much short listed Vanbitz.
It was Google that presented the link to the Youtube video and I had expected it to be a either a favorable or an impartial review.
I was more than a little surprised to find the Youtube review was actually a hachet job by someone presenting a major issue with his Vanbitz installation.
As a spur of the moment thing I then asked on here if this was just a one off and what are the alternatives if it wasnt.
I can see that by the amount of funsters who are backing Eddie and are very happy with Vanbitz installation that this guy is on a vendetta.
I have sent a PM to Eddie and apoligised for my thread, but at least he is now aware that someone is out there uploading this crap.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Waiting to collect our new van. We had expected to have collected it in the first week of lockdown and had an appointment at Cornish Farm for an overnight stay to install a Vanbitz Growler.

We will be re-booking as soon as we take delivery. Prefer to be swayed by the overwhelming number of Funsters who recommend Vanbitz than someone with an unknown agenda on YouTube.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I know you have responded Eddie, but to us here you didn't need to.

Trial by media with no way to respond more widely. It's a modern-day-life thing.

If you know the guy then just let us know and we'll go round and uninstall whatever he is complaining about. Mostly other people's work.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Vanbitz fitted a Strikeback, with a couple of bits, to my then new PVC last September. Apart from the LEDs, and a dashboard switch to turn off the internal sensor and cycle carrier loop I wouldn't know they have been inside the van. I really have to look hard under the van to decide which bits of the split conduit are added by Vanbitz compared to the spaghetti of hoses and conduits of the converter. Yep there are a couple of cable ties but most has been threaded though various existing clips and apertures. It's certainly secure (more so than some of the water hoses).

Put it this way. Their workmanship was more than sufficient that I was booked in, just as lockdown struck to get the feeble leisure battery upgraded to Lithium which was going to mean them putting in a B2B and other stuff. I could do it, but I don't want to mess up the pristine interior and know their workmanship will be far neater and painless than I'd achieve (and it will work). As soon as they are able to open I'll be re-booking.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I didn't realise your alarm had a lifetime guarantee.. I've got a loose connection on mine apparently..... (it's been great for years), and I've been saving up to come South to have it fixed and stay down there.

That is a great help as struggle to keep van on road. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I seemed to have stirred up a hornets nest which wasnt my intention at all.
Actually you’ve done everyone a favour in finding and pointing out this obvious hatchet job. Nobody is perfect but Vanbitz quality is up there with the best. If getting a Growler fitted, the “non starter” is a great extra as testified above by the guy that had someone try and nick his van

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
When all is said and done, statistics speak for themselves and I think we can all agree that these systems are one of, if not the best around.

just remind yourself of this little story

a proper mess these professional thieves left, but hey... the Vanbitz Installation did exactly what it was supposed to do !

I for one am not put off by one bad bit of feedback when it is put up against 99.99999999999% positive feedback.

After nearly a year of waiting for my new motorhome to arrive, I will be collecting it at the end of June and heading straight down to Taunton to have Eddie and his technicians kit my van out substantially. (subject to CV rules of course)

But why you might ask, it’s a 500 mile round trip and surely there are people closer to home....well because I know that if I ever have a problem it will be dealt with swiftly, courteously and professionally, not only for a miserly 12 months manufacturer’s warranty, but for its lifetime.

I don’t know Eddie at all and I wouldn’t recognise him in the street, but my experience so far has been absolutely top notch.
Ive had many an enquiry dealt with, received Genuinely helpful telephone calls from Eddie along with explanations to all of my questions with no pushy sales pitch.

Now that is something of a rarity these days !
And they have nice hot chocolate

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
All I know is our alarm from Vanbitz has kept us safe for 3 years without a fault and we had a Vanbitz alarm on our previous van that never let us down

If I bought a new van tomorrow the first thing I would get fitted was a Vanbitz alarm

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
eddievanbitz I'm bringing a magnifying glass with me in July just in case LOL.

Seriously some people are natural moaners so take it with a pinch of salt because 10000 positives and 1 negative in my book shows the workmanship and quality of the system speaks for itself.

Thats why I’m getting one fitted with free coffee and biscuits owe and a free night at the farm.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Seriously some people are natural moaners so take it with a pinch of salt because 10000 positives and 1 negative in my book shows the workmanship and quality of the system speaks for itself.

In my opinion there’s nothing wrong in pointing out anything you think is wrong with any particular job or item you have bought.

I work for someone that has exacting standards and they are what we work towards.

If I buy something and pay good money for it I expect it to be correct.
If it’s not I will inform the seller.

There are ways to go about things though.

Having said that the film did seem a hatchet job 😳

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I didn't realise your alarm had a lifetime guarantee.. I've got a loose connection on mine apparently..... (it's been great for years), and I've been saving up to come South to have it fixed and stay down there.

That is a great help as struggle to keep van on road. :)
Just for clarity Growler has a parts and labour warranty for the original owner.

What makes you think you have a loose connection?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just for clarity Growler has a parts and labour warranty for the original owner.

What makes you think you have a loose connection?

Hi Eddie, I rang you up about 12months ago as alarm wouldn't switch off internally. The man went through a few press this and press that over the phone and my alarm didn''t make the right kind of beeps.

He said I needed to come in to check there wasn' t a break in connection... and he said a couple of things but I don't understand engine 'stuff' and said I'll phone to arrange to come in when I can get down South.. no worry... It doesn't apply though as per response, I wasn't the original installer. The alarm was in when I bought the van and worked fine. I think it may be the habitation door where there's an issue as my central locking doesn't work on that.

I'll phone when I am nearer being able to travel down.. realise there's probably a long waiting time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back