Alarm and installer? (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Having read many threads on here regarding an alarm system for my new to me Burstner.
With so many of you recommending the Growler or Strike back as the Mutz Nuts,
I was about to phone Vanbitz to try and book a strike back installation when I came across this Youtube review.

As an retired Engineer I do agree with the reviewer that the installation seems/is poor.
The guy has a similar MH to my present pride and Joy and I would be more than upset if thats the standard of Vanbitz work.
Can anyone on here confirm if their installations are the same or was this just a friday afternoon job by the apprentice?
The van had a OSTT alarm system fitted by the previous owner but they had it transferred to their new MH so maybe I should go down that route?
Any recommended installers in the South East I should approuch?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I don't know about that video but they have more than enough satisfied customers on here not to be a cowboy installer.

We had a Growler fitted to our Burstner last year but I haven't crawled under the van to go into that sort of detail.

Maybe eddievanbitz may want to comment?

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
That is the problem I would crawl under the motorhome to check.
The quality of the installatation is as important as the quality of the equipment used.
I ignored the reviewers comments regarding the door switches as they are standard devices but he does have point regarding the underfoor installation work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have had two vans fitted with alarms by Vanbitz and they are second to none the workmanship is excellent and all cables and wiring has been carefully fitted no shoddy work on either van I would not hesitate o recommend them😊👍

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I am pretty sure they would rectify and alleged sub-standard work without a moment's hesitation. I didn't watch all the video but I do wonder if he called them to discuss. (Did he have it installed or was it on his van when he bought it?)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When we had the towing electrics fitted by Watling engineers I removed all the scotch locks when we got home, soldered and shrunk wrapped them. 👍
Nobody seems to bother, as long as it works 😒

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
The guy says he had it installed for £1200 which is a premium cost for an Alarm.
I'm not sure if he had an axe to grind which is why I'm asking on here as many funsters seem to recommend Vanbitz.
I'd hate to spend that sort of money and then find that sort of workmanship.
Problem is if you don't look under the van your not going to see it but I'm sure many funsters are like me curious to see what they get for their money.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The guy says he had it installed for £1200 which is a premium cost for an Alarm.
I'm not sure if he had an axe to grind which is why I'm asking on here as many funsters seem to recommend Vanbitz.
I'd hate to spend that sort of money and then find that sort of workmanship.
Problem is if you don't look under the van your not going to see it but I'm sure many funsters are like me curious to see what they get for their money.

Is there a year for the video, is it recent?

We had one fitted by an agent of theirs back in 2007, RV Tex of Nottingham and they made a balls up if it. Nothing but problems we had with it.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
They have been around for years and simply would not exist on a site like this if that video was a true indication.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Cue a rush of funsters crawling under their MH to have a look.

Apart from a sticker in the window we can't even be sure vanbitz fitted it, but the twin sirens etc do sound like their type of setup. Whoever did though he has a point about the workmanship as it pretty poor.

He may of dug some of the wires out to make it look worse inside but that wago block, cut back cable and cable routing aren't great. Resting it on top of the Anti-roll bar :O

Hope it turns out to be fake and not one that slipped past quality control

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I believe Vanbitz do no use outside installers they only do them at Taunton 😊
But I’m sure Eddie will answer soon😊

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Had our growler alarm fitted 3 years ago and it’s still working also had a strike back alarm fitted on the old van for 6 years never had any problems

I’m to fat to fit under the van to check the wiring lol 😂

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Well I must say I would have expected a much more professional installation for a mere £1200 ☹ But maybe vanbitz will be along soon to explain this video 🙂

I had Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system fitted for the insurance company. The local chap charges £295 including travelling to your address.
He did a first class job and even came back FOC to the turn the key alarm signal up to its loudest.
The only thing that seems to be missing is the internal 'Growler' alarm sounder.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well what can I say? The bloke is a cretin

just been alerted by friends about this, and am at a family BBQ

Will address more tomorrow, but a couple of snippets:

3ECFC0B4-FAE4-4ACA-8EB7-1025E4AA13E1.png

absolutely nothing to do with the alarm installation, nothing Goes under the seat. I agree it’s a fire risk, made by the posters converter by the looks of it. Why we are being slagged off for it? God only knows.
98EB9CEE-218C-40F0-A2AF-ADD2A7A90908.png

Our job is to hide wires? Well we did it so well the guy can’t find them so resorts to videoing, what look to be, again wires badly installed by the converter
CAAE6644-950E-448C-96BC-1E311EE422C7.png

Our job is to hide wires? Well we did it so well the guy can’t find them so resorts to videoing, what look to be, again wires badly installed by the converter, hang on, I said exactly that about the last picture slagging us off, for wires we didn’t install!
299A599B-8ECB-462D-9DE4-DB7FEADECD96.png

Hmmn which wires are which, some are ours, some are the converters, yes we use a split conduit to hide wires, after all the best place to hide a tree is in a Forrest! For the record, our wires are in the thinnest conduit, the converters step wires are in the thicker split conduit!

I wonder why the man did this and not raise any concerns with us?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
According to my wife I am a fussy nit picker re having work on our motorhomes. I have had two strikeback alarms and gps trackers fitted by Vanbitz. One in 2003 one in 2008 know both the current owners of them everything is still working fine no problems excellent standard of workmanship

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I trusted Vanbitz to instal solar, inverter, full growler and strike back alarm system based on the never ending first class reviews of their work and quality of systems advocated by Funsters on here. I have not been disappointed. Vanbitz do not do installations like that shown in that "Fake News" video!

Over to you now to accept our reviews and feedback or decide based on that video!

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
So I am obviously biased as it’s my mum and dad. I have been so proud over the years of the sheer professionalism that vanbitz offers, my reviews are all positive but we are talking hundreds. Vanbitz literally have thousands of positive reviews. Ultimately it is impossible to keep everyone happy. However they offer a lifetime guarantee on everything they fit. Had said prick said he was unhappy and spoke to them directly they would have bent over backwards to sort it. No other accessory company would offer a lifetime warranty, I run a Motorhome dealership and deal with most of them.
The problem being this will be a trial by social media, had he spoke to them it would have been sorted if there was an issue however he didn’t And has gone straight to war. Vanbitz will sort any gripes. They will do that because they are the best.
Personally I would at this point tell him to Donnie as any goodwill would be gone, but again that’s more credit to Vanbitz

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
What I don't quite get is that clearly the man knows electrics and recognised installation practise. Surely when he collected his van he would have asked where's this, where's that, hows this bit fitted, show and explain, etc. And ducked under to look. Then said "what's this shite", there and then.

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
I think you’ll see the growler starts from £999 then you can add led’s and window/door sensors so wouldn’t take much to ouch it up to £1200

my understanding is that the Growler includes as standard,
3 external LED's, 1x on the Front, 1x Habitation Door side and 1x at the rear of the vehicle, and sensors to cover your Bonnet, Cab Doors, Habitation Door and one locker as standard. Any additional locker doors are subject to a £50.00* charge per door I know, but I didn’t see the gentleman showing off 4 extra sensors anywhere.

it seems a little dodgy to me.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Obviously a nut job.

There are plenty out there and the likes of You Tube give them a platform for their nonsense :rolleyes:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
my understanding is that the Growler includes as standard,
3 external LED's, 1x on the Front, 1x Habitation Door side and 1x at the rear of the vehicle, and sensors to cover your Bonnet, Cab Doors, Habitation Door and one locker as standard. Any additional locker doors are subject to a £50.00* charge per door I know, but I didn’t see the gentleman showing off 4 extra sensors anywhere.

it seems a little dodgy to me.
I'm not saying it wasn't dodgy I was just explaining how the price can rise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back