LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I went for the Strikeback as it's lower cost, does everything I want and for me the extra features of the Growler (extra flashing lights and mega horns) weren't worth it.
Me too.
I have the Strikeback and nonstarter.
I didn't want the extra internal sirens as we have a dog that might be in the van.
Perfectly happy :)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Autowatch for me, mainly because I trust the alarm installer I've used for other customers for over 10 years and that was his recommendation.
If your Autowatch alarm is controlled by your OEM fob through the can bus system then it is now vulnerable to being stolen with the new technology available on eBay, this take seconds, speak to Michael who heads development at Autowatch. You CAN however make this more secure by having the installer set it up as a stand alone system so THEIR remotes operate the alarm, this means it is NOT linked to the van bus system so in order to open the van door you need to use your OEM fob THEN use the Autowatch fob to disable the alarm and vice versa. Installers use can bus as it’s plug and play, the other way is hard wiring, but plug and play comes with vulnerabilities.

The ghost 2 system is also an Autowatch product and impenetrable as an immobiliser. Do NOT take the word of an installer do your own homework, as stated technologies change and your installer may not know what can now be done, speak to the manufacturer who DO know. What I have come to understand in the motorhome industry is how little some people do know, whether it be payloads, whether updates are required for certain systems, the vulnerability of can bus alarms, or even the weight rating of a Fiat alloy wheel (even Fiat have no idea!), if you are serious check things out yourself, if you can’t be bothered then no good crying later.

The above is for information only, its just what I have found out in the last couple of weeks, it’s up to you what you do, just don’t say you haven’t been warned!

Examples:

Security holes found in big brand car alarms

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Growler & non-starter system covers enough bases for us.

If the dishonest types want something bad enough, there is only so much you can do to prevent them taking it. Whilst they may alert you to the event or track location thereafter, I guess none of these security systems can physically stop a van being dragged onto a flat bed and driven away.

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
We have a growler. The amplified intensity of the lights makes them more visible in daytime but too visible at night (but of course you can turn the amplification down at night). We were recently at Rowntree Park York CC site and unexpectedly didn't get got back to our van until after dark.
Our neighbour (jokingly I think) made reference to our disco lights !! I do wonder this if blue lights on a vehicle albeit a stationary one comply with lighting regulations.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have strikeback with extra external sirens and non starter mainly because we have dogs and did not think internal sirens compatible with them as we could trigger accidentally which I often do.???
Best alarms you can buy IMHO?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Link Removed
Would I be correct in thinking the link posted is for members only? As all and sundry can now see the code. It may be they cannot open the link but thought it worth mentioning.?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We went for Strikeback with extra lockers protected as well as the Gas locker, Gaslow system in there!

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Has anyone ever had a motorhome broken into via a window as I would have thought this could be a fairly easy entry for a thief

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We went for the Growler option. Love bells and whistles and lifetime warranty. I tend to leave the LED and Internal Siren switches off and switch them on only when we leave and take the dogs. The very comprehensive Warning signs - different languages are on the windows, so any would be low life must be really stupid to come in through the windows. Never have the internal siren switched on with dogs or us inside.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Has anyone ever had a motorhome broken into via a window as I would have thought this could be a fairly easy entry for a thief
Yes we have, if a thief wants to be in this is by far one of the easiest ways to do so, no alarm installer that I'm aware of has anything that also includes specific window security relying on internal sensors to be activated once the window has been opened and someone tries to enter the vehicle so their presence is 'noticed'.

This is why you should never ever leave anything 'in view' when you leave a MH, or even if you're in it overnight, if they can open the window and reach in, even if an alarm goes off, by the time it is noticed they'd be long gone ... ALWAYS put stuff that might 'entice' someone to break in out of sight.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
My MH windows are alarmed as part of my Growler/Strikeback system. If I leave a pet inside, hence not setting the internal alarm, the exterior protection will still go off if someone tries to open a window.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Examples:

Security holes found in big brand car alarms

None of the links are relevant to motorhome security, so no need to worry, and I doubt that Clifford have millions of systems out there aftermarket fitted to cars!

The best advice for anyone is to ensure that their alarm installer does his or her job properly and hard wires the security system, no wireless, absolutely NOTHING plugged into the OBD port and not simply turned on and off via the vehicles central locking button/fob

An alarm plugged into the OBD port makes the installation easy for the installer, or allows a poorly trained installer carry out the installation. It only benefits them, as does wireless switches on doors and lockers.

Often these types of systems are used where the dealer has been asked to install an alarm and gets a local mobile fitter in to do the job.

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cool! I have an AW alarm and are very happy with it now I've had the auto re-arm feature disabled and it's stopped locking me out of the van. Apparently you don't need this feature on a MH and it should have been disabled when the original installer (not Lee) fitted the system.

Reactions: GSD

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Growler and non starter here!! Wouldn’t be without it. TBH I saw all the blue leds flashing on various motorhomes at the Norfolk show last year (our first rally) and I thought I want some of them, then I realised what a great system it was, so shortly after had it fitted then onto the second rally, the Shepton show! ??

George Thomas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2018
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f 2006
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Kev & Ju. Only saw your post today so any advice now is too late but I think you have made the right choice. We have had the Strikeback with the Non Starter for four years now & wouldn’t be without it. It’ a great system. Would have liked to have the Growler fitted but at the time of installation we also had two new leisure batteries, solar panel & Gaslow system fitted so settled for the Strikeback. Good choice - good system - great company. We have found everyone at Vanbitz to be the most helpful, knowledgeable & professional group of people you could wish for. Plus they are nice folk as well. Good choice.

All the best Nikki & George.

JonHG

Free Member
Oct 30, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 540
Exp
Since 2008
After some debate and thought we have booked VanBitz for both the Growler and Nonstarter system. it wasn't so much for insurance requirements (SAGA didn't seem bothered and were still competitive) but for the enhanced personal security. The 10% subscriber discount from here helped!
From someone old enough to know better, young enough (at heart) not to care).

George Thomas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2018
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f 2006
Exp
Since 2014
Good for you - I’m sure you will be pleased. From someone old enough - sorry I can’t remember for what.

Sep 6, 2016
Northants/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Rapido 646F
Exp
Since 2016
We've just returned from VanBitz after having the StrikeBack and Nonstarter systems fitted to our newly acquired Autosleeper Broadway. We can now sleep comfortably in our bed at home knowing any lowlife who fancies their chances breaking in or nicking it from our drive is in for the shock of their life when the sirens let rip and the engine won't start.
We stopped on the Cornish Farm caravan site adjacent to the workshop for two nights, the first so we could deliver the Moho to them for an 08.30 start the following morning, and the second to save a three hour drive home in the dark afterwards.
We, plus dog, were dropped off in Taunton town centre for the day to have a mooch around and have lunch, whilst the installation took place and walked back to the workshop once the work had been completed mid afternoon. We can't fault either the VanBitz staff, who were all friendly and helpful, or the Cornish Farm site which was very clean and tidy.

Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi all.
ive just purchased a MH and I’m wanting to fit an alarm. My installer has said that he could fit a cobra alarm and scale it up to want I need it to do. Any thoughts ?
if I go for a strikeback instead is there a mobile fittier in the Fleet, Hants area.
Thank you all
Alex

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all.
ive just purchased a MH and I’m wanting to fit an alarm. My installer has said that he could fit a cobra alarm and scale it up to want I need it to do. Any thoughts ?
if I go for a strikeback instead is there a mobile fittier in the Fleet, Hants area.
Thank you all
Alex
I could be wrong, but is the Cobra not just a generic car alarm?
As far s I’m aware, the MH specific Strikeback/Growler alarm system is installed by VanBitz at their premises in Taunton, they also have a campsite next to their workshop (Cornish Farm) at which you can stay over. Before you pull the trigger on anything, I would suggest giving VanBitz a call to discuss your options, the pros/cons of different systems etc, they’re very helpful down there.

For the record, we have the VanBitz Growler & Non-Starter systems installed with which we’re very happy.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
We had a Cobra fitted on our PVC, as its designed for cars kept getting false alarms really annoying especially in the middle of the night, which ended not turning it on.. Waste of money. From experience I would avoid, pay the extra and go to VanBitz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back