Alarm advice please (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
how come motorhomes don't come with any alarm ? , I would have thought the ducats base would have one on new vans ?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
how come motorhomes don't come with any alarm ? , I would have thought the ducats base would have one on new vans ?
They can be specified when the base Chassis are ordered however who pays for it? Its a £500 factory option.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Because how would a one size fits all alarm be suitable?

Each country has its own security requirements, so a pan european alarm would be pointless.

Also, people that don't believe in security wouldn't want to pay for it.

People that do believe in security would want a decent alarm system, and would object to wasting money on a cheap alarm that they would have to have removed and a bespoke system installed

lots of other reasons

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Hi all.
ive just purchased a MH and I’m wanting to fit an alarm. My installer has said that he could fit a cobra alarm and scale it up to want I need it to do. Any thoughts ?
if I go for a strikeback instead is there a mobile fittier in the Fleet, Hants area.
Thank you all
Alex

A cobra alarm came as fitted to my secondhand van. The system is hardwired and includes internal sonic sensors which can be disabled at night. I've not had any false alarms since purchase 7 years ago. The Cobra system works on the principle of "normally open". In other words, it only triggers the alarm when the door/locker is opened and the switch closes.

This is opposite to the Strikeback which is "normally closed" because it monitors each door/locker switch when in the armed resting state. This means the alarm will trigger if a door/locker switch becomes faulty. Some would say this a good feature as it warns of a system malfunction.

I had the Strikeback fitted in 2003 to my previous van with exterior flashing LED's. It was easier to operate than the Cobra but I did have problems with malfunctioning reed switches. Perhaps the reed switches now used are more reliable or been replaced by a newer switching technology....any comments eddievanbitz ?

Overall, I'm happy with the Cobra system but it does need regular testing to ensure it functions as intended.

Since the OP lives in Hampshire it's probably a no-brainer to discuss his requirements with Vanbitz in Taunton.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back