Alarm advice please (2 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have booked in to Van Bitz to get an alarm fitted to our new Burstner. Question is....Growler or Strikeback?

The Growler is obviously a mega system and not to be trifled with but do I really need it?

Strikeback is a few hundred £ cheaper. But is it worth not investing the extra money.

Could owners of either system please comment as to their choice and if they are still happy with their decision?

Advice most appreciated

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Some would go for the minimum spec their insurance requires.
Others would do for every extra possible.
The choice is yours.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Insurance are not interested. They don't want anything. But that's this year's insurer, others may want security and I do as peace of mind

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
We don't have an alarm yet but have considered both and the OSTF one as well

For me it depends on the value of the MH

For one worth 20k then spending 1000+ on an alarm is maybe a bit extravagant and the insurance probably aren't bothered at that value. But on an 80k one its probably money well spent in the long run going for the top one.

Ours is worth about 27k so if went for vanbitz would probably be the cheaper option or OSFT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Depends on how much you value the loss of your MH is it worth scrimping for the extra security it gives you. I have a growler, non starter & a shadow vts tracker In my Burstner IXEO i728g
also had a growled & non starter in previous MH

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I have had the growler (with Bike/Property Loop as well) and would certainly like to replace the Sigma on our current van with an alarm/tracker/immobiliser. (waiting to see if I win the competition in the Magazine first though)

Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
We had the same decision to make recently and opted for Growler. This was based on the fact we kept our first motorhome for 14 years and will hopefully keep our second one for a similar length of time. On that basis it's worth the extra spend as the Growler has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.

On the other hand if you anticipate changing your motorhome in a couple of years time you may not consider the extra spend worth it?

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I have both, plus non-starter and tracking. Worth their weight in gold for peace of mind.
Ditto for us. We don’t have a particularly valuable motorhome but for flexibility to have perimeter security whilst asleep in van gives real peace of mind. The non starter has worked well too and the tracking system is helpful. We didn’t do it for insurance reasons, simply for our own security when out and about.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
For me it was Strikeback "plus" coupled with the non starter.

I wasn't that convinced I needed the internal sounders, and was more fearful that I'd damage my own hearing setting it off accidentally, than annoying a thief. Lifetime warranty might have been worth is. But by getting "plus" it meant an extra LED out the back so much more chance some scroat would get the message whatever direction they approached. But I really liked the idea of the external accessory loop to secure the bike or whatever on the rear carrier (I visit New Forest regularly and bike theft is a real issue off campsites), and the extra peace of mind of setting the alarm with the internal sensors off so you can sleep at night.

But the immobiliser is the real advantage. My van is in open sight outside my house. Sooner or later anyone knows it's there and would know I'm not in. Even if they do get into the van, they won't drive it off. Setting that by the mobile app is so easy. It does add a tracker but you control that yourself so it's not an insurance benefit.

Installed by Vanbitz with no fuss, or mess. I wouldn't know they'd been there apart from the extra key fob thing, and the LEDs. But, at night the dashboard LED is slightly annoying flashing away, even though you want it on so you know not to open a door in the morning without disarming. Open whilst alarmed and your neighbours will forget criticising WhooshBang, or a smelly SOG, they will have real cause for complaint as you shatter that tranquil campsite.

NB this is on an new PVC that I expect to keep for many years

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We considered a Vanbitz one but wouldn't want the extra sounders - if it went off for some reason with our dogs alone inside I don't think they'd be happy!

We've had Autowatch alarms on a few MHs/PVCs and have been more than happy with them so that's what we had put on our current Carthago. It had 6 sensors included in the price and a Thatcham 2 to 1 upgrade for the immobiliser so meets the requirements for insurance. We can isolate the interior sensors too so can have the exterior protected when we're in it/overnight etc.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We considered a Vanbitz one but wouldn't want the extra sounders - if it went off for some reason with our dogs alone inside I don't think they'd be happy!

We've had Autowatch alarms on a few MHs/PVCs and have been more than happy with them so that's what we had put on our current Carthago. It had 6 sensors included in the price and a Thatcham 2 to 1 upgrade for the immobiliser so meets the requirements for insurance. We can isolate the interior sensors too so can have the exterior protected when we're in it/overnight etc.
You can turn the internal sounder off when you have your dogs inside. You can also turn the internal sensors off which is a good idea if your dogs are inside too!
We have the Growler, the non-Starter, the tracker. We like the additional features of the Growler over Strikeback and can’t remember the price difference now.

596A

Free Member
Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
I am having 2 systems fitted, I looked at Autowatch and spoke with them (head office) its a canbus system so vulnerable to being hacked wirelessly IF set up with the OEM fob to activate it, one way to get extra safety is to have it set up with their fob activating it so that it sits as an independent system, the problem is their fobs doesn't work with the central locking, well they do but nobody has worked out how to do it as it involves hard wiring to the central locking sensor in the doors, SO you need to use the OEM fob to unlock and the Autowatch fob to set the alarm, the Fiat apparently only comes with one fob, and an extra OEM fob is £300 plus (I will find out next Wednesday when I pick mine up).

If you want your motorhome totally disabled then the Ghost II is the way to go, it sits quietly with no visual sign that it's there but nobody will be driving off with your vehicle, its an immobiliser only so I am having a Sigma S30 fitted as well, this is a stand alone alarm with two fobs that will link to your central locking saving having to buy another OEM fob, I am also having all doors including 2 x garage doors hard wired to sensors and an interior sensor that monitors the internal pressure, so any window opened or movement will trigger it. I also have a wheel lock, steering lock and tracker as well as live interior video with movement sensor so hopefully it will be harder to steal.

I have spent a week researching these alarms and its amazing what is available on day to defeat the can bus systems, I would never entertain one of those! If you have any questions call Autowatch in Sevenoaks and ask them about the issues with a can bus system, they also sell the Ghost II so can also tell you about that (y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Never been convinced about the effectiveness of an alarm, but required by original insurance company - so went for Strikeback, but:

Am very convinced about Non Starter, alarm can be ignored but they're not taking the van anywhere (unless on a low loader, and even then I'll know whereabouts it is).

So that's my recommendation/experience.
A proper Motorhome alarm, not a plugin, adapted car one... and a non start system.

So that's basically VanBitz or Outsmart The Thief.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Never been convinced about the effectiveness of an alarm, but required by original insurance company - so went for Strikeback, but:

Am very convinced about Non Starter, alarm can be ignored but they're not taking the van anywhere (unless on a low loader, and even then I'll know whereabouts it is).

So that's my recommendation/experience.
A proper Motorhome alarm, not a plugin, adapted car one... and a non start system.

So that's basically VanBitz or Outsmart The Thief.
You may want to get a Ghost II as well as backup, only issue is they are not Thatcham approved yet but your van will NOT be going anywhere with one fitted (y)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I too want to get an alarm fitted

With the growler are the sirens not as loud as the strike back or is the strike back the extra bit which stops them starting it

I'm getting a bit confused with it all ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I too want to get an alarm fitted

With the growler are the sirens not as loud as the strike back or is the strike back the extra bit which stops them starting it

I'm getting a bit confused with it all ?
Strikeback is VanBitz standard alarm system - loud.
Growler is VanBitz enhanced alarm system - very loud.
Non Start is an associated system that prevents your vehicle being started, even if the thieves have the keys.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Why would I?
As a backup, if one is compromised they then face a second, I think you would be amazed at what can be done to overcome alarms, I learned so much this week speaking to the experts, I found the ones I spoke to very honest if you asked the questions. I have gone for 2 as well as the tracker and evidence gathering internal wifi cameras, my intention is to NEVER have to use my tracker (y)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I am having 2 systems fitted, I looked at Autowatch and spoke with them (head office) its a canbus system so vulnerable to being hacked wirelessly IF set up with the OEM fob to activate it, one way to get extra safety is to have it set up with their fob activating it so that it sits as an independent system, the problem is their fobs doesn't work with the central locking, well they do but nobody has worked out how to do it as it involves hard wiring to the central locking sensor in the doors, SO you need to use the OEM fob to unlock and the Autowatch fob to set the alarm, the Fiat apparently only comes with one fob, and an extra OEM fob is £300 plus (I will find out next Wednesday when I pick mine up).

If you want your motorhome totally disabled then the Ghost II is the way to go, it sits quietly with no visual sign that it's there but nobody will be driving off with your vehicle, its an immobiliser only so I am having a Sigma S30 fitted as well, this is a stand alone alarm with two fobs that will link to your central locking saving having to buy another OEM fob, I am also having all doors including 2 x garage doors hard wired to sensors and an interior sensor that monitors the internal pressure, so any window opened or movement will trigger it. I also have a wheel lock, steering lock and tracker as well as live interior video with movement sensor so hopefully it will be harder to steal.

I have spent a week researching these alarms and its amazing what is available on day to defeat the can bus systems, I would never entertain one of those! If you have any questions call Autowatch in Sevenoaks and ask them about the issues with a can bus system, they also sell the Ghost II so can also tell you about that (y)

Where do you live, Compton Los Angeles? Would it not be cheaper to move somewhere with less crime ?

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Where do you live, Compton Los Angeles? Would it not be cheaper to move somewhere with less crime ?

It doesn't really matter where he lives it could get stolen from anywhere he parks it whilst away from home using it

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks to getting so many recommendations on here for The Vanbitz Strikeback or Growler before we even got our first van, it seemed a sensible decision to have one fitted as we could not get cover for our van without a cat 1 alarm & most said they wanted a tracker also.
The fact that The Cornish Farm (Eddies place) was only a few miles from our dealership sealed the decision also. We even delayed our pick up day by a month to get a date in The Vanbitz diary to get the install done.
We went for The Growler, Best thing we ever did, as many others have said, cannot see a wire anywhere, all important external locker doors covered by magnetic switches, blue flashing LED's warns others and me that its armed. Internal sounders are very, very loud, but can be deactivated while we or those with pets are inside the van. Thankfully the Blue LED's can be dimmed when needed as they really are bright. The rear Bike Loop is, or will be useful, for when I cant be arsed to put bikes back in the rear garage whilst on site.
The Meta Tracker is OK if you make sure you keep in touch with them on the app, if not you will get an e mail saying your van has not moved in the last few weeks, and they will run a test.

Next security mod, I would suggest we all should consider, especially on Transits is an OBD lock to stop anyone plugging into the van and disarming the immobiliser. There are many on Fleabay and alikes, then also Hoesafe additional locks for hab door, cab doors etc, seem to be worth a look at, but these involve careful installation and are not cheap, but you get what you pays for.

Les

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Do vanbitz offer a discount to funsters on the prices quoted on their website

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Autowatch for me, mainly because I trust the alarm installer I've used for other customers for over 10 years and that was his recommendation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back