Al-Ko Spare Wheel Carrier (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2009
Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Since 2007
Having had a puncture in middle of field, had to call out a mobile tyre fitter at £90 call out plus repair etc. This got me looking at the Al-Ko spare wheel carrier for 16 inch wheels, underslung model (1614232). Has any one had any thoughts/ knowledge of this after market product, cost around £120.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
The AMC Spare Wheel Carriers for motorhomes come in two sizes, suitable for either 15 or 16 inch wheels. This particular model is for carrying 16" Wheels.

Simply unhook and swing down to access wheel

The AMC Spare Wheel Carrier is the ideal place to store your motorhome spare wheel. When needed simply unhook the fasteners at the rear of the chassis, which will allow the carrier to swing down for wheel removal. The carrier is suitable for fitment to most motorhomes on an AL-KO AMC Chassis,

Well it sounds good! " Simply unlock and swing down to access wheel"?

Not in my experience when I wanted to inspect the spare on our new to us van . It turned out to be a brand new tyre date stamped 2007. Hell of a job getting the carrier down without killing myself underneath it and probably even harder to get the thing back up again. And that was on my drive in my own time on a nice day with a helping hand to raise and secure it.

Not surprised the spare had never been out of the carrier.

£90 doesn't seem bad to me but at least I have a spare wheel which I will never ever try to use. Leave it to the breakdown service.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Also you need the space under your moho to fit it. I thought i could fit one but waste tank in the way. I made my own to fit behind the rear wheels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rammygb

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Having had a puncture in middle of field, had to call out a mobile tyre fitter at £90 call out plus repair etc. This got me looking at the Al-Ko spare wheel carrier for 16 inch wheels, underslung model (1614232). Has any one had any thoughts/ knowledge of this after market product, cost around £120.
May I ask where you purchased this from please.

rammygb

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have not bought the carrier, decided to live without carrying a spare
I’ve not had a spare on any of my Motorhomes but getting a little paranoid now in case of a puncture or blowout.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
The AMC Spare Wheel Carriers for motorhomes come in two sizes, suitable for either 15 or 16 inch wheels. This particular model is for carrying 16" Wheels.

Simply unhook and swing down to access wheel

The AMC Spare Wheel Carrier is the ideal place to store your motorhome spare wheel. When needed simply unhook the fasteners at the rear of the chassis, which will allow the carrier to swing down for wheel removal. The carrier is suitable for fitment to most motorhomes on an AL-KO AMC Chassis,

Well it sounds good! " Simply unlock and swing down to access wheel"?

Not in my experience when I wanted to inspect the spare on our new to us van . It turned out to be a brand new tyre date stamped 2007. Hell of a job getting the carrier down without killing myself underneath it and probably even harder to get the thing back up again. And that was on my drive in my own time on a nice day with a helping hand to raise and secure it.

Not surprised the spare had never been out of the carrier.

£90 doesn't seem bad to me but at least I have a spare wheel which I will never ever try to use. Leave it to the breakdown service.
You can use the jack to lower/raise it. Much less hazardous

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back