AL-KO Hy4 Levelling System (1 Viewer)

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
We had decided on this levelling system after much consideration over e & p and ma-ve. In case anyone else is considering this system let me enlighten you of your journey!

We had agreed with our local dealer Dickson’s of Perth specifically Niki Dickson who is in charge of the Workshop to have them fit this to our new Frankia, Niki had done quite a lot of research for us as well and agreed that this was the best system in his opinion.

Niki contacted AL-KO only to be told that the system could only be bought through a AL-KO wholesaler, he contacted a wholesaler only to be told that the only way to have this system fitted in the UK is to have it done directly by AL-KO! This has supposedly to be done by the customer directly with AL-KO but when you eventually find their contact number and call them the system tells you that they will not deal with a member of the public and that you should contact one of their service agents, I did this and got the same response from another local dealer who is an AL-KO service agent after they had contacted another AL-KO wholesaler.

This seems to me to be a ludicrous situation unless there is something seriously wrong with this system or the dealers that AL-KO were allowing to fit the system.

If anyone can shed any light on this for us I would be very grateful.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The big technical difference between the Al-Ko and other systems is that the Al-Ko has a pump unit at each corner rather than a centralised pump on the likes of E&P.

Martin

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
AL-KO own E&P don,t quite know what the difference is

I understand AL-KO only own about 10% /20% of E&P although I have no doubt their intention is to eventually take control as they are much bigger and their products do compliment each other,however, E&P do wish to retain their independence but who knows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
@Hettie's Crew Thanks I did not really consider this system I will check into it but I must admit that the individual ideology of the Hy4 is forward thinking in my opinion.
It could also result in unnecessary additional weight to eat into your payload. I’ve read the claims by Alko but the routing of the pipes along the chassis rails on ours hasn’t interfered with any storage areas. Plus it’s all very neatly done. The weight may not be a consideration for your circumstances but a comparison maybe surprising.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought alko gave up on their own system, which is why they bought e&p.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
AL-KO own E&P don,t quite know what the difference is
I think This system uses 4 independent pumps and hydraulic tanks. One feeds each leg. Total system weight about 70kg. Edit. Just seen funflair’s post!,

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And a bit lightweight compared to E&P, 2000kg per corner or 6000kg total.

Plenty for a lot I know, but too close for me.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the theory is if anything is going to go wrong it will be the motor/pump assembly so why have 4 of them, hydraulic systems have traditionally had a centralised pump and then valves and pipes, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Martin

OP
OP
Alex and Lesley
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
@funflair Maybe long hydraulic pipes many joints bigger single pump. Don’t know if they will run different psi or not, and if something goes wrong hopefully smaller means less expensive and possibly still a usable system?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair Maybe long hydraulic pipes many joints bigger single pump. Don’t know if they will run different psi or not, and if something goes wrong hopefully smaller means less expensive and possibly still a usable system?
Different way to do the same job so personal choice at the end of the day, I am OK with E&P. Pressure has to be the same basically unless the hydraulic rams were drastically different diameters.

Martin

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
You also have to wonder why ALKO bought E&P when they already had their own system?

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Noob to MHs. Caravaned a lot.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I actually like the concept of HY4. Any system is seriously expensive, so a system that is corner based (4 pumps) rather than centrally (1 pump), *should* make it easier to remove and refit to a new motorhome with an Alko chassis. That's my thinking anyway. If I knew I could remove it relatively easily and bolt it onto a future van that would be a massive selling point to me. A bit like why many take GAS-IT or Gaslow systems from one van to the next - It makes the initial investment easier to swallow.
My guess is that centrally mounted systems would involve a lot more steps e.g. Hoses the length of the vehicle, re-bleeding etc etc.

Does anyone know if HY4 is still actually a purchasable product?

OP
OP
Alex and Lesley
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
7Hvn I had the first set fitted in the country in August at the factory as a bit of a test bed, the plan is that all E&P registered fitting companies will be selling both systems, also there is a new remote system called Hy4 2LINK coming soon which will only make the system in my opinion even more of the best choice on the market. I would suggest you check out the Al ko website.

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Noob to MHs. Caravaned a lot.
7Hvn I had the first set fitted in the country in August at the factory as a bit of a test bed, the plan is that all E&P registered fitting companies will be selling both systems, also there is a new remote system called Hy4 2LINK coming soon which will only make the system in my opinion even more of the best choice on the market. I would suggest you check out the Al ko website.

Thanks! Did Al-Ko make any mention of its ease of removal and refit at all? How long did it take them to fit at the factory? Most systems seem to suggest 2 days. Interested to know if this is quicker. Cheers

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Any update on the system fitted so far. ?

MikeandDi

Free Member
Apr 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 740i
Exp
Cairngorm system is operating very well we are waiting to hear from Warren SMC when the 2LINK becomes available

Hi Alex
Interested in the Hy4 system with the 2LINK Bluetooth so that you can weigh the van / payload. Do you know if SMC can retrofit this system and any news on the 2 LINK availability?

OP
OP
Alex and Lesley
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Hi MikeandDi SMC will be able to fit the system for you no bother. I must say however that the lack of communication from SMC and specifically Warren is disappointing as this has been since October last year that I have now been waiting to hear from him about the 2LINK system. Maybe this post will be read by SMC and contact will happen! I really do rate the system however and would not hesitate to advocate this over any of the others out there, people say about the cost of a system like this but with this system specifically I would estimate no more than a mornings work will remove and refit to another vehicle. This is in my opinion just one of the advantages it offers.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Hi MikeandDi SMC will be able to fit the system for you no bother. I must say however that the lack of communication from SMC and specifically Warren is disappointing as this has been since October last year that I have now been waiting to hear from him about the 2LINK system. Maybe this post will be read by SMC and contact will happen! I really do rate the system however and would not hesitate to advocate this over any of the others out there, people say about the cost of a system like this but with this system specifically I would estimate no more than a mornings work will remove and refit to another vehicle. This is in my opinion just one of the advantages it offers.
Yes SMC do read them. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back