Airstream Caravans (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
That's very useful stuff to know. In that case what would you suggest would be the ideal cleaning regime for Airstream vans, incl materials etc.

Not a expert but my guess is that the whole of the Airstream will have a clear coat similar to a painted vehicle so will need polishing and protecting in a similar way.

Just found this info on the type Aluminium used in the past, clear coats and why some of the older Airstreams you see at shows have an incredible mirror finish.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just for info guys;

I had a quick tootle around the local car places today to see what was available in the 3T tow capacity sector and my only choice was Nissan, Toyota, Ford and VW. I have ro travel to see the Landy choices.

The Toyota range looks quite favourable but surprisingly when I went to see the Nissan Navara Tekna @ £33k, the sales guy said he would knock 16% off the price due to my C&MC membership.

That's not bad at all chaps and it certainly makes it a good potential pull car - Andrew Ditton has one:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Apparently that and it's not just the dealer trying to sell his wares. Here's a pic from my shiny new brochure:)

View attachment 242559
From different programmes I have watched all American RV’s are subject to this type of test as they leave the factory’s
With regard hailstone damage etc the decades they have been in production and the weather extremes over the vastness of America compared to any where in Europe I think they would be more than fit for purpose

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
From different programmes I have watched all American RV’s are subject to this type of test as they leave the factory’s
With regard hailstone damage etc the decades they have been in production and the weather extremes over the vastness of America compared to any where in Europe I think they would be more than fit for purpose

That's a good perspective Dave(y). The US does seem to build good gear from the few articles that I've read so far.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
One thing that I have noted is the payload of the Airstream Trailers.

Take the Colarado for instance (from the Swift brochure):

MIRO: 2,135kg
MTPLM: 2,400kg
Payload: = 265kg (includes 45kg of water and twin gas).

.......but this doesn't include the twin hab batteries (50kg); motor rollers (64kg), aircon (25kg), TV (6kg) and it certainly doesn't include any variation in materials which is a point highlighted in the brochure under EU Regulation 1230/2012 (the dreaded +/-5%). This could mean that the van is close to a zero-kg payload allowance before we drive it out of the showroom.

The MTPLM can be increased to 2,680kg so I'm going to enquire about that option today.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Blue Knight I increased the MTPLM on my last twin axle caravan and it was a simple enough process, using SV Tech for the task.

I noticed you had VW on your earlier tow car list, is that the Amarok or Touareg ? I've never owned the pick up, but have owned and towed with Touaregs, which are awesome tow cars. My first was the 5 litre V10, which I followed up with the 3 litre V6, both of which will easily cope with the Airstream with their 3500kg limits.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight I increased the MTPLM on my last twin axle caravan and it was a simple enough process, using SV Tech for the task.

I noticed you had VW on your earlier tow car list, is that the Amarok or Touareg ? I've never owned the pick up, but have owned and towed with Touaregs, which are awesome tow cars. My first was the 5 litre V10, which I followed up with the 3 litre V6, both of which will easily cope with the Airstream with their 3500kg limits.

Some good advice there Ken. Sadly though, I didn't get to see the VW Amarok V6. I visited Gilesgate yesterday to see the Ford, Toyota and Nissan cars and then went across to the Arnison Center to check out the VWs, only to be told by VW that I had to go back to Gilesgate to visit the Skoda dealer who retails the VW commercial models - I went home instead!

However, what I did discover from Nissan is that it will reduce the cost of a vehicle by 20% if I can prove that I know an employee at the main Nissan Factory. That's me sorted since one of our tenants is a Nissan chappy. A win-win IMO.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I could never see the attraction of a caravan that looks like a wood louse :D
10521-Pill-Woodlouse-white-background.jpg

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010

We had a V10 Toureag also, awesome bit of kit even took it too Superchips in Northampton for a remap :D
5 Litre V10 twin turbo diesel, instantaneous MPG showing 3mpg
and people ask if our RV is thirsty ::bigsmile:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
We had a V10 Toureag also, awesome bit of kit even took it too Superchips in Northampton for a remap :D
5 Litre V10 twin turbo diesel, instantaneous MPG showing 3mpg
and people ask if our RV is thirsty ::bigsmile:
Yeah but.... They were good for towing Boeing 747s :LOL:

Did you ever see that on Fifth Gear (I think) ?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Chaps, the problem we're having is that the tow hitch weight of the Airstream Colarado is 150kg and the only vehicles that can cope is a Ford Ranger (225kg) , Range Rover (150kg) and a Disco, also 150kg.

The likes of VW, Nissan and Toyota are all 140 to 120kg max.

The Colarado is a big old beast.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If I were you I would get a American type hitch , then you can use a equalizer hitch assy , they really make a difference when towing a heavy van :)

eqhit.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If I were you I would get a American type hitch , then you can use a equalizer hitch assy , they really make a difference when towing a heavy van :)

View attachment 243012

I really appreciate your input and as a consequence I have been reading about the Equalizer since 6 this morning.

What I am finding though is that an Equalizer is intended to work as a load leveller system by distributing the tongue weight of the trailer but what it doesn't seem to do is alleviate the overall downward force on the actual tow bar itself. I've read a number of articles today that stipulate the need to stay within the manufacturers quoted hitch weight.

I have scrtinised my figures further and it seems that I can no longer use a Vogue or Disco to pull the Airstream if the trailer is plated at 2.68T.

The standard 2.4T is unusable in its current guise so I need to up-plate the MTPLM but, by doing so, the hitch weight then increases to about 170kg if I use the 6.25% of MTPLM figure which Swift uses to calculate it's brochure stats.

The Equalizer will spread the tongue weight but from what I gather I'll still need a vehicle with a minimum hitch weight of 170kg.

This is probably why they can't sell the bloody things.(n)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Where is the 170 kg figure coming from ? The problem with hitch weight is a bit of a non factor , as the weight transfer is a constantly changing figure . The equalizer hitch helps mitigate this and by its design transfers weight onto the front axle of the prime mover .
With a close coupled trailer the hitch weight can be within reason
controlled by how the trailer part is loaded. eg just removing the gas cylinders from the drawbar and relocating behind or even on top of axles will drop the nose weight by more than 20kg . Likewise with a rear mounted water tank traveling with a full or empty will affect the nose weight considerably . The Vogue or disco are both rated at 3.5 tonne train weight IIRC , which they can handle easily from personal experience . You might find this article interesting https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/driving-towing-towing/towball-weight-and-trailer-stability .

How do people tow 3.5 tonne trailers thruout the EU (inc UK) if a 2.6
tonne caravan needs 170kg hitch load ? :)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Where is the 170 kg figure coming from ? The problem with hitch weight is a bit of a non factor , as the weight transfer is a constantly changing figure . The equalizer hitch helps mitigate this and by its design transfers weight onto the front axle of the prime mover .
With a close coupled trailer the hitch weight can be within reason
controlled by how the trailer part is loaded. eg just removing the gas cylinders from the drawbar and relocating behind or even on top of axles will drop the nose weight by more than 20kg . Likewise with a rear mounted water tank traveling with a full or empty will affect the nose weight considerably . The Vogue or disco are both rated at 3.5 tonne train weight IIRC , which they can handle easily from personal experience . You might find this article interesting https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/driving-towing-towing/towball-weight-and-trailer-stability .

How do people tow 3.5 tonne trailers thruout the EU (inc UK) if a 2.6
tonne caravan needs 170kg hitch load ? :)

I'm looking forward to reading that- many thanks indeed (I'm on the hop at the moment).

Ref the 170kg figure - Swift have calculated a 150kg hitch weight on 6.25% of the standard 2.4T MTPLM. All I've done is apply that same % to the uprated MTPLM of 2.68kg, hence 170kg.

All the best,

Andrew

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The

irony is the lada Cossack engine was a Fiat made under licence .
They were rattly from new but lasted well :)

The whole Lada was licenced from Fiat and paid for in Russian steel which was why Fiats of a certain period rusted away in no time.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@tacr2man - A very good article(y)

It was most evident from reading the contents that both the US and AUS systems are hugely different from our own UK system in terms of hitch weight allowances.

The point about an Airstream being of a US design, albeit internationally realigned to European roads, may be the primary reason why the hitch weight is so much more significant than that of a conventional UK caravan hitch.

Airstream must have made a number of significant changes to its primary design because unlike the Americans with their F150 and F350 trucks, the Brits have small diddy things like a Hilux, Navara, L200 and Range Rover to tow a US-designed trailer.

I'm getting the impression that Airstream has attempted to shoehorn a US design into a UK market and this is where the problem ultimately lies for the big Airstream trailers.

I have visited the dealer today for a face-to-face chat and they have offered to send an email to Airstream to help ascertain what towing vehicle would suite a 2.7T trailer. I've also asked about the use of an Equalizer as that could potentially open up my choice of vehicles by a good few; I'll report back accordongly(y)

Other than that guys, here are a few pics that I took of the Colarado in the showroom.:cool:

All the best,

Andrew

20180712_104359.jpg

20180712_104418.jpg

20180712_104426.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
This pic is of a caravan i had in Australia similar size weight to Airstream , but high ground clearance for outback . The 130 isn't using a equalizer but used the equalizer with my Range Rover
ozcvnlwr IMG.jpg

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Well with the way that looks, to me, it’s essential that a solution is found....I need one of those in my life!

Certainly watching the thread with great interest (y)

.........and now I'm going through the insurance stage:

My two best quotes so far:

1. " The most expensive caravan that we've ever insured was £35,000".

2. "My manager has referred it to her manager but we now need to get further approval before accepting the proposal".

This is tough going guys.(n)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Oh, yes, I've found a pulling car too. It's not quite got the lines of a Rangey but unlike a RR it can pull the Airstream with its 225kg hitch rating.

20180712_123314.jpg

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
.........and now I'm going through the insurance stage:

My two best quotes so far:

1. " The most expensive caravan that we've ever insured was £35,000".

2. "My manager has referred it to her manager but we now need to get further approval before accepting the proposal".

This is tough going guys.(n)
This was the company recommended by AVL at the time they were main dealers for Airstream; I actually used them at the time we owned a T@B and found them to be very good(y)

Simon Hogg
Director

S & C HOGG LTD TRADING AS PROAKTIVE

ProAktive

T
M
W www.proaktive.co.uk

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
This was the company recommended by AVL at the time they were main dealers for Airstream; I actually used them at the time we owned a T@B and found them to be very good(y)

Simon Hogg
Director

S & C HOGG LTD TRADING AS PROAKTIVE

ProAktive

T
M
W www.proaktive.co.uk

Thanks Christian, you're a star. I'll see what they have to say but I reckon that my provisional quote is going to be circa £1,200 to £1,500 a year with an allowance for 180 travel days in Europe.

There are 4 Colarados for sale in the UK and not one has been sold this year. I can see why.

We will give it a couple of more days and then postpone any Airstream purchase until next year. I'm quietly confident that they won't fly off the shelves in the meantime :D

All the best

Andrew

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I'm looking forward to reading that- many thanks indeed (I'm on the hop at the moment).

Ref the 170kg figure - Swift have calculated a 150kg hitch weight on 6.25% of the standard 2.4T MTPLM. All I've done is apply that same % to the uprated MTPLM of 2.68kg, hence 170kg.

All the best,

Andrew
Andrew,

I can understand why you've applied the % to the load on the hitch, but IMO it is not required and it's certainly not a legal requirement.

When I uprated my twin axle caravan, it had no effect on the nose weight, which as already mentioned, is controlled by careful loading.

All you are doing is taking some excellent tow cars out of the equation.

Ken.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew,

I can understand why you've applied the % to the load on the hitch, but IMO it is not required and it's certainly not a legal requirement.

When I uprated my twin axle caravan, it had no effect on the nose weight, which as already mentioned, is controlled by careful loading.

All you are doing is taking some excellent tow cars out of the equation.

Ken.

Ken, I totally agree with your advice but I'm keen to achieve a decent response from Swift which underpins the actual facts; after all, I think the price tag alone gives me the right to ask them a question regarding the tech-info contained in their brochure.

At this moment in time I am being told that a well balanced twin axle Airstream has a hitch weight of 150kg @ 2.4T so I'll post-up a response regarding the 2.7T option when I receive it.

That said, the whole concept of buying an Airstream is to help the owner break free from the trials of life - but it appears that my initial insurance proposal only permits me to camp on my driveway and on any caravan site equipped with machine gun positions and guard towers - all else is not covered:D

Cheers,

Andrew

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Aluminium inside and out, seems to me it would be hot in summer and need a lot of heating in winter, plus a lot of condensation. Following typical yank design like my RV regarding insulation, roof aircon to keep you cool in summer and a dirty great blown air heater for the winter.
Looks nice on the outside but I don't like bare metal walls inside.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Aluminium inside and out, seems to me it would be hot in summer and need a lot of heating in winter, plus a lot of condensation. Following typical yank design like my RV regarding insulation, roof aircon to keep you cool in summer and a dirty great blown air heater for the winter.
Looks nice on the outside but I don't like bare metal walls inside.

.........it sounds like a good environment for growing tomatoes. The aircon comes with standard but that in itself can be a pain in the ar$e.

Thanks for the post-up; some great info there(y)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Insurance Update:

4 x declines, 2 x referrals so that will translate to 6 x declines by dinner this evening.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back