Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sort of .could be free or a small charge made. believe it comes from aire de repos . (rest area) in summer in france i,v even known free drinks and ice creams being given . the police wave you in to the aires ans issue a drinketc .you cant leave till you have had a rest.
normally there is water grey waste etc faciliteis in a machine a bourne .hope i spelt it right. some aires take over 200 vans . free leccy sometimes. could be in a town by a railway station outside police sttion in fact anywhere. time we had some here they are growing more and more on the continent.
i peyed 39fr. for my first aire de service book in 99 still use it worth every cent .
cheers alan.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi its a place you can park a motorhome, they can be a rough bit of grass, or purpose designed with hardstandings and electric. They can be halfway up a mountain with superb views, or in the middle of an industrial estate. Some will only take a eurovan, others will easily take a 40' rv and trailer.

Most if not all will have water and dump, some will also have electric, some are free, some cost a few euro's. At the moment I believe France has over 4000, it can be a very cheap and pleasant way to camp around France.

Germany also have them called "stelplaze" and in Italy they are called "sosta's"

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Goffer not thick at all thick people dont ask questions:ROFLMAO:

You get 2 types of Aires in France aires stands for reat area you can get a motorway one just like our service stations or you can get a camping car aires these are normally in or on the edge of towns and villages they range in size and facilities. You can stay overnight some are free some cost a few euros some are just a car park for motorhomes but some are in awesome locations.

Ones we have used range from basic carpark to one next to a lake with toilets on site some have pizza vans and bakers vans coming round.

When we go away we tend to stay at a campsite for a few nights then at aires for a few nights and when staying on aires we tend to eat out as saved money on campsite fees.

We have also stayed on aires that are right next to local open air swimming pool so just like a campsite.
Hope this helps and if your off to France id recommend you buy the all the aires book and use some of them you will be surprised how good some are.

Gerry

OP
OP
G

goffer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
weymouth sunny dorset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 but tugged for 10
thanks for that information, we could do with some of them around here instead of no motorhome signs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back