LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
You might want to consider the inconvenience of being stopped by an enthusiastic police officer and being told to leave your car where it is or getting your passenger to drive it.

This is what happened to an acquaintance of mine..
That’s all very well if the passenger is a driver, otherwise you could have a problem, hence we never take our toad with us abroad as it’s not worth the hassle if the above situation arises, and my wife would certainly not be happy about driving abroad, also when we are abroad we normally use Aires or wild camp, in the case of Aires the majority of them are usually conveniently located I.e. in a village centre or on the edge of town or a canal or marina etc, so don’t find it really necessary to take the toad like in this country.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
If your theory was correct you would hire a motor home! Right?.
Wrong I wouldn’t like to think k what it would cost to hire for about 6-7 months of a year in various breaks plus you will never have all you want with you as you do in your own van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We have travelled Europe extensively and have never had any problems with Aires (car on trailer not a toad) but planning is the key to ensure hassle free parking. We identify suitable Aires with the use of google earth, the beauty of the Aires which are suitable are mainly the ones just outside a major town or village and then you can use your car to travel into the town or village. Also these tend to me less busy and more relaxed. This was us before upgrading and now we shove the car into the back 😂😂😁😁
6EC92042-9457-46F7-AD3C-EE3929A51138.jpeg
BBB74EF6-C365-4036-9497-ABC120C87268.jpeg

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It won’t be an issue as French plod will have fined you and made you unhitch long before you get to the Aire so it won’t be a TOAD anyway😉

Having said we never take the Toad to France, we don’t normally but on our winter stays (house sitting) we used to take it and never got stopped by Police/Gendarmes or otherwise!
We have seen French vans with Toads too.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our friends have a big motorhome and a trailer for a Smart car. They’ve stopped taking the toad abroad as they are sick of the inconvenience. It costs more on the ferry, you can’t turn round easily, Aires can be difficult and the toad takes up too much room on a pitch. They use E-bikes now when they go abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back