Aires with a toad (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Do you know your itinerary and roughly where you think you’ll be staying?
If so, I would use Google street maps like someone has mentioned above to help plan.
Do you have an All the Aires guide book?
There’s usually a description in there to indicate whether the Aire can accommodate large Motorhomes.
If so, you’ll probably have no issues with towing your toad and parking.
We have a large Motorhome and we have not had any issues with access or parking at the Aires listed with a large Motorhome symbol.
We have struggled with some Aires which don’t have that symbol (in the All the Aires books) - mostly, getting into the Aire due to a chicane type access or barrier.
As for raising eyebrows, our experience is that our French cousins can take the pi$$ when it comes to aire etiquette. We’ve had Motorhomes taking two spaces, parked longways, tables, chairs and windbreaks our, washing machines and carpets out drying. You name it. So I wouldn’t worry too much about your car being attached to your van.
We’ve also been blocked in due to no space being left but they tend to move before we have needed to move.
I think most of the time, if you are as considerate as you can be and meet the raised eyebrows calmly with a smile, you’ll be fine.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I once had a boyfriend who was a French teacher. He always took a coach load of kids to France every year and on their way to their accommodation he took them past the factory that makes wheelchairs for frogs. It was his little joke to get him through the trials and tribulations of a school trip.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Legless frogs Phil ? Have you slipped across the border for a quick one yet ;)
Cheers
Ed :drink:

No Ed I haven't. As you well know, I'm a law abiding goody two shoes who will only leave my property when the Senedd tells me I can:unsure:

ps - when I see you next, I'll give you the truthful answer:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Gavlad...that’s a bit more encouraging. Looking at the tunnel then aiming for La Rochelle as a start after a couple of stops on the way then take it as it comes form there. All subject to the obvious of course!

jazzijeff

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
south west
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
off and on since 2000
We have a toad and have no problem getting on aires. If it’s a barrier we drop the car outside as you can’t get in and out with just the car. Never had a problem in France and unhook and drive in Spain. Don’t let people put you off it’s great to have and we use it all the time. You can also carry more stuff to use when parked for longer.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We never take the toad to France, no need really as moving every couple of days you can get shopping on route!
You will find some Aires have a car park nearby so car can be parked in there.
We use a cable to lock the A frame to the undersides of the van when necessary!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We have a toad and have no problem getting on aires. If it’s a barrier we drop the car outside as you can’t get in and out with just the car. Never had a problem in France and unhook and drive in Spain. Don’t let people put you off it’s great to have and we use it all the time. You can also carry more stuff to use when parked for longer.

We have seen a convoy of French vans going through an automatic barrier, 3 vans, to save paying, we assumed. They were very close together and drove out very slowly.

jazzijeff

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
south west
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
off and on since 2000
Getting in and out through the barrier with the toad on board is no problem it’s just you can’t then get back out with the car and leave the camper if you want to go off for the day. That’s our experience anyway. So if we want to use the car we park it out side

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It won’t be an issue as French plod will have fined you and made you unhitch long before you get to the Aire so it won’t be a TOAD anyway😉

jazzijeff

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
south west
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
off and on since 2000
Never happened and I’ve never meet anyone it’s happened to although I’ve meet a lot of people who know someone it’s happened to. Much like the gassing I suspected.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Aires are not much bigger than 8 meters and if you put car in the next bay the French will drag it out, don’t tow use your van.

jazzijeff

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
south west
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
off and on since 2000
Last comment on the subject if you don’t mind. My rv is 10 metres and sure there are some I would struggle with but all the really good ones for us are no problem and if you spend a little bit of time there are thousands and I mean thousands you can get on and feel comfortable. Also I find the French very understanding and it’s mostly the brits who tutt and raise an eyebrow. Most French/Spanish people’s instinct would be to guide you in. Just from my experience over the years anyway

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Aires are not much bigger than 8 meters and if you put car in the next bay the French will drag it out, don’t tow use your van.
That’s not true we are 12m overall and there are lots of aires that can take us without the need to take two spaces🙂

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Never happened and I’ve never meet anyone it’s happened to although I’ve meet a lot of people who know someone it’s happened to. Much like the gassing I suspected.
Well I've met someone it happened to, taking their car to their second home in France.

They now drive both vehicles down.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I take my car on trailer only because don’t want aggravation in Spain etc. Never had a problem parking in Aires with it but normally pick my Aires where there’s plenty of room or car park attached or nearby. Never had any trouble in 10 years all over Europe. Just if possible google aire for size and entrance etc. you can normally always park your car close by aire if to tight or very busy. I have an
13m outfit and never had a problem yet In 10 years as always use the 6 Ps = ( Perfect planning prevents piss poor performance )
Always try and arrive early or by about 2pm as after this they all start arriving !!!!!
Have a great time :)

Attachments

• E17E20DD-612D-419E-B18E-2A99C22E0BF9.png
    E17E20DD-612D-419E-B18E-2A99C22E0BF9.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 31

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A friend of mine owns a campsite in France, about half way down and he has told us that "Peeple wif triangles" have to leave the car on the site when they go home, as only one will drive and train it back to collect the car

As for size?

1593940411107.png

I am not too sure that there is a "limit"

1593940671090.png

And if you tow, use bigger Aires

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are members of this forum who have been fined for using an A-frame.

jazzijeff

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
south west
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
off and on since 2000
I’m sure there are I’ve just not meet any and I’ve never seen a slip to say what law there breaking so if anyone has been fined for towing a car on an a frame I. France can you please post the receipt for the fine so we can see which law you e broken. Please I’m genuinely interested as I tow.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't think that the French and Spanish have a law banning A Frames, why would they when it is in real terms a handful of people that use them.

There are definite laws that ban one car being towed by another car, which is what people fall foul of.

I have towed extensively in Europe, big boats behind big RV's and I have a Car A Tow A frame which is fitted to a Terios ordered specifically for the job, as it is a big seller as a TOAD in the States and has a section in the handbook about what to do when the car is on a A frame

It has been to France and Spain, but I wouldn't bother to take it again as I know of too many people having hassle.

It will be going to Scotland later in the year so long as Mrs Sturgeon hasn't started building the wall

Truthfully if I wanted to take a car to France I would buy a trailer and be done with it, luckily we rarely bother with is as we love using our bikes and a bike trailer for the dog and shopping trips!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
check on Google earth.
Some aires are massive, and will take any size unit.
Some youll struggle with if youteover 8m

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
TBH, aires are great, but we’ve found village municipal campsites are cheap, (€10pn) usually basic but spotless showers etc And often less restricted. Again, we have a whizz - bang (pvc) so luckily we don’t have any size problems
Yes we’ve used them and they are really good value and in some nice places as well only problem is they are not open during winter months or we would certainly use them.😊👍

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes but if they are long ways big vans take up 2 spaces
🤔??? Don’t quite understand what you mean by longways if I can’t park in one bay I would not use the aire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back