Aires, Spain/Portugal, is it worth it...? (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We've been in Spain/Portugal for nearly a month now and I'm a bit disappointed with the Aires or sometimes the people in the Aires, now I've paid from 6€ to 12€ A night and some have been "ok" to great and then there are the ones that I've driven on and straight off again. These are the ones with no facilities and are probably just designed for over nighters but it seems it's the green light for staying weeks on end and treating it like a campsite..! Sorry campsite is too good,... dare I say they look like gypsies sites.... where are they dumping their waste..?

The people stare at you like "who are you" and with their paraphernalia spread all over the place "don't park there" like I'll shoot you if you do...look on their faces ...

Is it any wonder why I stay on ACSI sites for 5-10€ more, or am I just a snob.? In my 10y old Rapido to their 80k Concords and Carthago's...? Why spend all that money on a beautiful Motorhome to park it in a shit hole for the winter...?

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I forgot to say that I'm in a campsite today after witnessing the debacle I saw at the camperstop near Villamoura, the market appeared to be packing up and the hordes of Motorhomes trying to get the best spot from the carpark next door that they have to go to while the market is on that there was actually crashing into each other and arguing in the street while the traders are trying to leave but are blocked by Motorhomes.... and I'm ashamed to say there where some GB number plates involved....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm certain that we would not enjoy our 5 months in Spain if we were using Aires or camperstops or wilding.
Quite happy to park up at La Manga (Yes I know not everyones cup of tea )which we have for 11 years now, use the bikes or the Citroën C1 that we bring and enjoy the surrounding area. We have a large serviced pitch for 11.50 euros a night.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I forgot to say that I'm in a campsite today after witnessing the debacle I saw at the camperstop near Villamoura, the market appeared to be packing up and the hordes of Motorhomes trying to get the best spot from the carpark next door that they have to go to while the market is on that there was actually crashing into each other and arguing in the street while the traders are trying to leave but are blocked by Motorhomes.... and I'm ashamed to say there where some GB number plates involved....
Almost as bad as free loading tossers !!.:D:D:D:D:D.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yes we came through Castro Marim and it just seems to have got out of hand and why. We are now on Albufeira Camping with the Camping and Caravan club rally at the costly sum of £ 7.80 per night with 10 amp electric and wifi better than we have at home, oh and heated shower blocks and oh sufficient space for our drive away awning

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We have stayed on some great free and cheap Aires in both Spain and Portugal. There will always be someone who spoil's it for others.

Sooo right..... we have stayed on some good ones and even freeloading..:eek:

As here last night...(y)
IMG_0780.JPG

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Portugal is rubbish... I suggest you all stay away.

Parkups are crowded... GNR move you on all the time (after fining you). The beaches are deserted. Off-site camping is illegal. Crime is rife everywhere, and the prices of everything from coffee to burgers are unbelievable.

And did I mention the AWFUL weather?

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Parkups are crowded... GNR move you on all the time (after fining you). The beaches are deserted. Off-site camping is illegal. Crime is rife everywhere, and the prices of everything from coffee to burgers are unbelievable.

You could be right JJ, or I could be a snob...;)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It would seem that wintertime touring in both Spain and Portugal are beginning to overload the free Aires. I have not encountered overcrowding problems in the rest of the year. However, as France and most points north are a bit chilly at this time and the most reliable sunshine is in Spain and Portugal, who can blame people wanting to use the 'free' Aires.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I'm certain that we would not enjoy our 5 months in Spain if we were using Aires or camperstops or wilding.
Quite happy to park up at La Manga (Yes I know not everyones cup of tea )which we have for 11 years now, use the bikes or the Citroën C1 that we bring and enjoy the surrounding area. We have a large serviced pitch for 11.50 euros a night.

Spent several Winters, or parts thereof at La Manga, up until 2007/8.:). How is it Now. they where going to run the "promenade" all the way along the beach front, did they ever do it?. It would have taken out the Bar/Restaurant and some of the Closer pitches?:(. We had one of the bigger pitches, near the Shop/Reception, because of the size of the R-V. When we first went the cost was still in "potatoes"!:D2. when it went to "E", the prices went up too!:(.

As for "aires", have used them for "overnight stops", mostly full of "Borderline Travellers". have also wild camped along the coast, we knew some lovely spots, mostly deserted, and having tons of water/waste capacity. A couple of nights or so leave it clean.:) and move onto a site for a time. Towards the end of our time, the police did start to move you on, in as much the local officer might come and "indicate" that you should go, usually after a couple of days. I guess that has been spoilt by people taking the "piss" :mad: and leaving behind a load of crap?. The Beach front at Villajoysa, was crowded with Germans, and the Market area at Altea, always full of mixed "races", except on Market day!.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It's the same in Quateira Portugal, they get kicked off for the market, always a panic to get back on for the best space, usually a big concorde, either German or Dutch.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

What you playin at JJ?

You forgot to mention that the food is sh*te, the wine is like paint stripper, and the scenery is like an industrial wasteland.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We use a mixture of Aires/Camperstops , wild camping and campsites on all our trips. Although not many campsites as we often don't need all the extra facilities they offer.

We like the freedom that our motorhome gives us and often don't want or need much. A lovely view and a nice walk or bike ride from the van is our ideal. We are currently at the Sierra Espuna Totana camperstop, it ticks all our requirements at the moment.

Some camperstops/Aires are lovely and some are not whether in Spain, Portugal or France. It's the same with campsites and that's the lovely thing about having a van. You can change your scenery and your experience by just moving to another spot.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've been in Spain/Portugal for nearly a month now and I'm a bit disappointed with the Aires or sometimes the people in the Aires, now I've paid from 6€ to 12€ A night and some have been "ok" to great and then there are the ones that I've driven on and straight off again. These are the ones with no facilities and are probably just designed for over nighters but it seems it's the green light for staying weeks on end and treating it like a campsite..! Sorry campsite is too good,... dare I say they look like gypsies sites.... where are they dumping their waste..?
Not just there.. we rurned up at les angles aire to ski last winter and it had a load of the types you describe in it... we walked the dogs... avoiding their scavenging dogs ... and left.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Spent several Winters, or parts thereof at La Manga, up until 2007/8.:). How is it Now. they where going to run the "promenade" all the way along the beach front, did they ever do it?. It would have taken out the Bar/Restaurant and some of the Closer pitches?:(. We had one of the bigger pitches, near the Shop/Reception, because of the size of the R-V. When we first went the cost was still in "potatoes"!:D2. when it went to "E", the prices went up too!:(.

As for "aires", have used them for "overnight stops", mostly full of "Borderline Travellers". have also wild camped along the coast, we knew some lovely spots, mostly deserted, and having tons of water/waste capacity. A couple of nights or so leave it clean.:) and move onto a site for a time. Towards the end of our time, the police did start to move you on, in as much the local officer might come and "indicate" that you should go, usually after a couple of days. I guess that has been spoilt by people taking the "piss" :mad: and leaving behind a load of crap?. The Beach front at Villajoysa, was crowded with Germans, and the Market area at Altea, always full of mixed "races", except on Market day!.
The site has not changed much in the last 11 years but the surrounding area has more veggies growing such as cabbage, broccoli and so on. We have a good golf society going and play once a week at reasonable rates. We keep finding new Spanish restaurants to try where you get a 4 course meal for 10 euros, so it's as it was and you either like it or not. You generally find that the ones who stay for a reasonable length of time get to like it more as time goes on.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
where are they dumping their waste..?

This is the whole point. I think you're seeing motorhoming in a different way. I'm not saying you're wrong. I think you just find the cons of your choice after a while.
JJ and I have this in common: we see motorhoming the same way! We mostly wild (except when it comes to the odd chores day), but we both know that emptying won't be a problem (especially me as I have a cassette, JJ has a tank so no worries it's...huge lol!) because we never stay more than 4 nights on one spot, and this is when we really enjoy the area. We've been to lovely places (always in august), and some were just like desert land! A whole lake/beach for us... not a single noise...paradise indeed, ....AND not a penny! When we leave, it's spotless! We know where the nearest dump point is... off we go, empty and fill up, do some shopping... and off to another place! Never ever had we a prob with authorities, people, dogs (I love dogs... barking ones a tad less!), babies/toddlers/ children yells.
We both know what we like, and always try to find what suits us whatever the country. Sometimes ..... some weird people try to park next to us or even in between, while it's empty around.... we go then a bit cheeky.... start engines.... AND OFF WE GO! Simples really! But we never stay a whole month on one single place. Our choice, and it works fine for us.
Amicalement
Frankie:)

Last edited:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Aires and wild spots are like campsites, some are great, some are awful. What's great for one person is torture for another.

We've just got used to the barking dogs as the pros of Spain & Portugal far outweigh the cons for us. Plus we've got one who likes a bark - not incessantly though!

Personally we like a combination of away from it all (and away from people) places and more crowded places if the location is great and the neighbours are nice ;)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Please excuse me... I forgot to mention the wild packs of barking dogs...;)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Garry, there is more to Portugal than the Algarve. We found some lovely free Aires inland from the coast when we were there in 2015. The ones on the Algarve were not so good, but still Ok for a few days. But then we were there in the spring when most of you snowbirds had left and before the happy hollys arrived :D2.

My guess is that this is a very busy time in Spain and Portugal for motorhomes, so that is always going to cause problems. Can't have helped that the big Aire at Portimao is now closed and the police have got funny with parking at Armacao. We stayed at both of those when we were there and they weren't bad.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For what its worth, I have developed a simple strategy for helping to avoid 'dodgy' aires and wild camping spots.

Firstly I NEVER use aires books, I look on Campercontact for aires in the area that I'm considering travelling to
I read the reviews and feedback from recent visitors. This is a great way of finding out what 'real' visitors think of the place.
Next I click on the MAP option for the aire, and open this location in Google Maps, this allows me to look at the local area, and walk round it.
If it looks like a dump, I don't go.

We've stayed at some fantastic Aires and wild camping spots in Portugal and Spain, and I'd advise anyone to give it a try, but do a bit of research first.

Finally - If I've had a good or bad experience of an Aire, I leave a review on Campercontact, so that other travellers can hopefully benefit.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
We arrived in Portugal yesterday having spent 7 weeks in spain using aires and wild camping. Arriving here at manta rota was a bit of a shock, the vans,are,squeezed in nose to tail although the board outside says they must be 9 metres apart, and many here look like they've been here for months. We were told that some have been here since last October. We thought it was a touring aire, not a long term site. It's in a great location and has waste facilities for only 4.50 euros a night, we'll be off tomorrow to try somewhere less crowded. Although from the comments,above I'm beginning to think I won't bother, maybe we'll head back to Spain instead.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
This is the whole point. I think you're seeing motorhoming in a different way. I'm not saying you're wrong. I think you just find the cons of your choice after a while.
JJ and I have this in common: we see motorhoming the same way! We mostly wild (except when it comes to the odd chores day), but we both know that emptying won't be a problem (especially me as I have a cassette, JJ has a tank so no worries it's...huge lol!) because we never stay more than 4 nights on one spot, and this is when we really enjoy the area. We've been to lovely places (always in august), and some were just like desert land! A whole lake/beach for us... not a single noise...paradise indeed, ....AND not a penny! When we leave, it's spotless! We know where the nearest dump point is... off we go, empty and fill up, do some shopping... and off to another place! Never ever had we a prob with authorities, people, dogs (I love dogs... barking ones a tad less!), babies/toddlers/ children yells.
We both know what we like, and always try to find what suits us whatever the country. Sometimes ..... some weird people try to park next to us or even in between, while it's empty around.... we go then a bit cheeky.... start engines.... AND OFF WE GO! Simples really! But we never stay a whole month on one single place. Our choice, and it works fine for us.
Amicalement
Frankie:)
I agree with Frankie is called planning.
Knowing were to get your next water fill.
How long your cassette lasts.
We're to get your food.
Don't overstay leave it cleaner than when you came.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We took one look at Manta Rota and did not bother even going in. Looked too crowded and more for the bucket and spade brigade. :D2

But don't give up. Head a few miles back towards Spain and stop at the Aire at Castro Marin. A lovely little town. Or head a few miles inland to Alcoutim, which has a nice little Aire, and is also a nice little town on the border with Spain.

Or you could always see if Pedros, outside of Albufera, is full. Not an Aire, but the most unusual (in a good way) campsite we have ever stayed at. And it was only about 8.50 Euros a night with hook up. His Saturday BBQ is a legend.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have lived in my van, mostly in Portugal and mostly off-site, for years and years and years and have never ever felt the inclination to spend one single night in Manta Rota.

If I don't like a place, for whatever reason, I don't stop there.

There are so very many options.

Don't follow the path... go where there is no path and leave one behind you.

Drive, park, live, move on... it's motorhoming.

Just saying

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I hate these motorhomers who find a cheap or free aire and stay for the whole season, or month. I found quite a few of these while touring Spain and Portugal just before xmas. Even saw them with sheds outside, genny sets and large propane tanks, cars and quad bikes Oh Please!,These are NOT campsites, also I heard about one person who booked a long stay at a camperstop near Malaga over a year ago and was pissed that his booking had to be cancelled. Well what do you expect? Its an Aire, a short stay place for god's sake! I am no expert in this but if you want long stay its a campsite, right? Touring its aires right? If you want long term winter sun go to an effing travel agent and rent a room. Oh Please!!

No better than Gypsy's, the lot of you!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back