Aires - not all created equal (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
we have just completed a 4780 mile tour of Spain and France.

We visited some great sites and some not so great, to say the least.

When we returned to France we looked forward to staying on Aires whenever possible.

Last year we visited Aigue Morte, staying on the Aire to the north of the town, right alongside the walls. At 8 euros it was well worth it, as evidenced by the 60 plus m/h using it. Plenty of space for all.

This year we returned to find it almost empty. When we checked, the cost of a 24 hour stay had increased to 23.30 euros!:eek:

No wonder it was empty. 23.30 euros for a car park with dump points and water, no electricity.

We had to stay as our friends were already there but, never again.

Between the two m/h we spent over 250 euros on our evening meal in the town, plus restocking wine.

They won’t get it next year!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Aigues-Mortes has another aire over the river by the fishing lakes at €11- 13 https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr...99/motorhome-parking-aire-de-camping-car.aspx

meal and wine was your choice..
Oh, dear.

Of course the wine and meal were our choice. The point I was making was that local businesses will lose income if such rises become general in the area.

The first para of your post was helpful. The second unnecessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh, dear.

Of course the wine and meal were our choice. The point I was making was that local businesses will lose income if such rises become general in the area.

The first para of your post was helpful. The second unnecessary.

sorry if I was unhelpful.. wasn't intentional

the way I read it you were complaining about the cost of the aire, plus the high cost of food
and wine.. which was your choice..

we spent over 250 euros on our evening meal in the town, plus restocking wine.

obviously I misunderstood what you meant...

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
sorry if I was unhelpful.. wasn't intentional

the way I read it you were complaining about the cost of the aire, plus the high cost of food
and wine..

OK!

I did find your info re the other Aire useful.

We can consider the rest a misunderstanding between us.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OK!

I did find your info re the other Aire useful.

We can consider the rest a misunderstanding between us.

fair enough.. :)

on the topic of aire prices, yes, I think they are going up,and generally high near tourist centres, visitor attractions etc.. for example Brugge aire is now €25 .. the only cheap or free ones tend to be in rural villages where there is little to see or do ..

France used to be a cheap alternative to UK touring .. with cheaper fuel, cheap airs and cheaper food.. not any more .. sites are also expensive now

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
fair enough.. :)

on the topic of aire prices, yes, I think they are going up,and generally high near tourist centres, visitor attractions etc.. for example Brugge aire is now €25 .. the only cheap or free ones tend to be in rural villages where there is little to see or do ..

France used to be a cheap alternative to UK touring .. with cheaper fuel, cheap airs and cheaper food.. not any more .. sites are also expensive now
Having just returned from France this afternoon we can safely report that DERV is now practically the same price as in the U.K. two years ago there was about a 20% lower cost in France.

Camp site prices have also increased but, with the preponderance of ACSI sites in France, costs are much lower than in the U.K., (in low season).

On our journey back home from our base in Burgundy we also stayed on a Municipal site in France, large pitches, hard standing, electric (10 amps) and water/waste disposal on each pitch, bar and snack bar together with an on site lake, boules, football and basketball area, for 15 euros a night.

The exception now, rather than the rule.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we also stayed on a Municipal site in France, large pitches, hard standing, electric (10 amps) and water/waste disposal on each pitch, bar and snack bar together with an on site lake, boules, football and basketball area, for 15 euros a night.

yes, municipals are indeed GVFM .. we look for them in preference to aires.. simple basic sites, not crammed in like sardines and better security.. last one we were on was at Chateaudun , about 1km from the town, right on the riverside.. good clean facilities, if a little dated .. it's on our 'must go back' list

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think basicly the hobby we all love has become too popular..probably encouraged by social media.I cannot believe how busy everywhere in Spain and France are this year..and the weather is not at it's best..Think we all need to be travelling elsewhere..ie Romania..Bulgaria..Poland etc..but no good in the winter. BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

He got me too. "I object to paying €23 for an aire but I can splash out €250 on a meal" is how is misunderstood it.

It's so easy to misunderstand some posts.

Got to agree, €23 for an aire is taking the p$ss. Or maybe a cunning ploy to reduce the use of it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Until a year ago (when I got my van) I'd have had to pay loads more because we'd have been in an hotel. So it's good value for me.
not if you work it out, motorhoming is a dear hobby, in an hotel you have your meals provided, no lugging a heavy motor about, never mind the cost of buying it , taxing it, insureing it, mot, tyres, gas, ,
not knocking motorhomes, as that is what we do , do your own thing when you want , where you want, but cheaper than hotels, no way.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
cheaper than hotels, no way.
I said good value, for me. I didn't compare the cost with hotels and, of course, the value of a thing to someone is completely different from the price of it. I don't fly and tend to stay in cities at a cost of less than a fiftteenth what I'd pay in a hotel in, say, Amsterdam, where I went last weekend. I like nice hotels. The van gets better mpg than my oldish high performance petrol car and tyres etc are cheaper for the van. I'm going to the Le Mans Classic soon and it will be good to be camping trackside yet not in a tent (unlike my previous visits). The van has plenty retained value, so, good value for me.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
not if you work it out, motorhoming is a dear hobby, in an hotel you have your meals provided, no lugging a heavy motor about, never mind the cost of buying it , taxing it, insureing it, mot, tyres, gas, ,
not knocking motorhomes, as that is what we do , do your own thing when you want , where you want, but cheaper than hotels, no way.

If you are comparing a two week holiday maybe, but 3+ months away?

Well we are flying to Greece for 2 weeks this coming Saturday.

We are taking a ferry to a special island which is not cheap, but just staying in an apartment, meals out and hiring a scooter, will I estimate cost us €2000 - without the €1000 I have set aside for a visit to the jewellers(many good ones there). It is a special birthday!

I used to moor my boat on same island - same as MH, and spend about 25% of that.

Except for night-stops and business trips while working, I have only booked apartments for very a few holidays. Other than that have island-hopped, sailed my own boat and motorhomed.

Going back to hotels v MHs. If you cost it over 2 weeks of course hotels are cheaper, but over say 13 weeks average use I am sure MHs are cheaper - unless you buy a Phoenix new.

Geoff

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We've been 10 months now in France and Spain, it is fairly easy to find municipals and aires in France well below 13E including EHU. I won't list them here, or you'll all turn up !

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Give us a clue. :sun:

I was on a fairly isolated beach on the island and met a lady who had brought a car there from Corfu for friends. I said 'That must be for Zef and Odile'. She was amazed as I was correct. Probably not much f a clue.

The island has only one scheduled bus.

It is the northernmost island of its group.

Those are your starter clues.

Geoff

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I was on a fairly isolated beach on the island and met a lady who had brought a car there from Corfu for friends. I said 'That must be for Zef and Odile'. She was amazed as I was correct. Probably not much f a clue.

The island has only one scheduled bus.

It is the northernmost island of its group.

Those are your starter clues.

Geoff

Skopelos??

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
For us it’s getting to one place from another, we see many beautiful places on the journey that you cannot see any other way.....:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back