Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're planning a wee trip to France at the end of October early November. Will most of the Aires still be open then? I'm sure I read somewhere that a lot of them close for the winter. We would only be there for about 6 days so would be in Northern France. Thanks for any help.
Mags

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think you will find they just turn off the water and power, the aires are still functioning although most are open all year:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We're planning a wee trip to France at the end of October early November. Will most of the Aires still be open then? I'm sure I read somewhere that a lot of them close for the winter. We would only be there for about 6 days so would be in Northern France. Thanks for any help.
Mags
Hi Mags,

Many are still accessible during winter, but often the water has been turned off and drained down, and electricity isolated.

HTH,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks. We would need to find a campsite every three days or so then. We're up for the adventure though! :Smile:

I dont think you will find many sites open in November, unless you are going right down south.. The aires will be open and you can dump your toilet and grey waste.. Like others have said, water will most likely be turned off to avoid freezing.. So look for alternatives like garages and cemetaries etc for water..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks. We would need to find a campsite every three days or so then. We're up for the adventure though! :Smile:
As Tonka has indicated, you'll struggle with sites, between October and March, especially in the north.

Good luck though.

Jock.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Mags

Recommend you get All the Aires France and ACSI books from www.vicarious-shop.co.uk , and or Camping Cheque book you will find all the information you need in these .:thumb:

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Pretty sure the Aire at Embry will still have water etc, 40 mins from Calais a good starting and finishing point to your trip, we use it every time we go over to France.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I dont think you will find many sites open in November, unless you are going right down south.. The aires will be open and you can dump your toilet and grey waste.. Like others have said, water will most likely be turned off to avoid freezing.. So look for alternatives like garages and cemetaries etc for water..

I believe all Aires are open all year round....as mentioned above.....Don't forget you can always buy drinking water from all supermarkets over here in France and it is very cheap......around 17cents for about 2 liters....at Lidl and Aldi......
So you can dump grey and empty your toilet....you can get clean drinking water...you can get gas at all supermarkets and other shops..... not that expensive...around 18 to 23 euros for 11kg to 13 kg.. all you need now is a small genny just in case you have any need of electricity.. Tv, laptop, ...just in case the solar is not giving enough energy for what you may be taking out, and of course... if it is very cold a small fan heater if you are saving on your gas ......sorted...
Have a very good holiday and enjoy yourselves

Mel
:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I think Tonka is correct...:Eeek:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A tip for toilet emptying when the water is turned off at an aire and you "really" need to swill out the Thetford. Empty toilet before dumping grey water.
First empty the toilet contents into the appropriate grill, then place the cassette nozzle under the outflow from the grey tank. Open the valve to allow enough in for a quick swill of the cassette, then empty as usual. Finally dump grey tank.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We've travelled in France for the last two winters for about 6 weeks. Although some are closed or have the water turned off we have always found plenty of aires open and water on at at least 50% of them.

The aires book is invaluable though to see which are open all year. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back