Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry to be such a pedant Mr DBK but I certainly did NOT clean my loo for visitors. :Eeek:

I would not allow "visitors" to use MY loo.

However if the one and only Supreme Commander informs me it might be needed by her then I know what I have to do.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thinking about buying the All the Aires book for next year - we've never stayed in an Aire so far and I'm wondering about the W.C. facilities. I see that the book tells you if there are W.C.s but not what type. Are most of the ones in French Aires the 'hole in the floor' type, or do most of them have 'proper sitty downy' ones?
Most aires are wonderful and well worth visiting but very few have WC's .... Oradour-sur-Glane is one that comes to mind that does, but I doubt you would want to use it.:sicker:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The op has not replied to any of these posts explaneing why she does not use her own toilet, can't see why myself , but maybe a good explanation, perhaps not one on the mh or something but as others have said why you would rather use a dubious public toilet than your own escapes me even on campsites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I thought it was just caravanners that had an obsession with toilet blocks, but if you visit St Aignon in Brittany there is a toilet block, the toilets even have paper, but you will need a torch unless you can remember where everything is. There are no lights. There's even a church with an English audio recording to listen to about the Tree of Jesse if you don't speak the language
Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Bear in mind that even on the odd occasion when aires have a loo we're talking about French loos here. Assuming you can actually see the loo through the various encrustations, there is always something missing from a French loo. Paper, the seat, the chain, the loo - it's anyone's guess.

A couple of the aires on Ile d'Oleron have them, but that's because they're ex-campsites. Others I know of with loos are Les Eyzies de Tayac, Concarneau, Mont St Michel (ex-campsite), Chamonix, and Calais Port. Actually the loo at Calais Port is very well-maintained and is a positive pleasure to bare one's bum to.

As you seem averse to using your own loo (assuming you have one) I'd suggest spending your entire French trip at Calais Port.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Louhans Aire not only has nice toilets but showers and free wifi. Can't say the same of some of the others we have stayed at. I guess that's why they put toilets in our Motorhomes eh?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
DSC_0002.JPG

Embry Aire - Toilets in the back ground.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the aire at L'odour de la crap is one to be avoided I hear:rofl:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
well apart from the initial question and a nope thats all we have had now from the op asking a question he wanted answered people really need to say a thanks or at least something else when others have given their input and time :rolleyes:

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
well apart from the initial question and a nope thats all we have had now from the op asking a question he wanted answered people really need to say a thanks or at least something else when others have given their input and time :rolleyes:
Blimey Bill! Give me chance! It's less than 24 hours since I posted the question and I've had a few other things to do since then.
Anyway, THANK YOU ALL (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y).

Sounds like Aires are not for us. Chaser suggested French Passion sites as an alternative so I'll investigate that now. Also have heard of some bags that you put over your own loo before using, but I can't remember what they're called.
Thanks again.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
sorry for being impatient but as you knpow some ppl dont even bother

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
but from what i know not all french passion sites have facilities including dumps for waste etc ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
but from what i know not all french passion sites have facilities including dumps for waste etc ?
Quite true but a lot of them are working places so have staff toilets, but as you say on the other hand some of them have nothing at all

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Also have heard of some bags that you put over your own loo before using, but I can't remember what they're called.
Thanks again.
Do you mean these:
Broken Link Removed

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Blimey, I'n not a Scot but 15p every time you have a dump, and the Mrs would finish that pack in about 3 days max. :rofl:

Mind, I did have a fussy friend who drove home to Woodford from Perranporth to do his business once when we all went on holiday together.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Blimey Bill! Give me chance! It's less than 24 hours since I posted the question and I've had a few other things to do since then.
Anyway, THANK YOU ALL (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y).

Sounds like Aires are not for us. Chaser suggested French Passion sites as an alternative so I'll investigate that now. Also have heard of some bags that you put over your own loo before using, but I can't remember what they're called.
Thanks again.

Doggy Poo Bags :LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Also have heard of some bags that you put over your own loo before using, but I can't remember what they're called.
Thanks again.

I sometimes wonder if anyone understands a MH toilet. It's a toilet not a water closet. If you treat it like a WC at home you are doomed, it's too shallow.

1. Place some toilet paper over the hole. This protects the plastic and blocks smells.
2. OPEN FLAP. This is the essential bit. You don't want your feces in a shallow bowl.
3. Discharge your waste direct into the tank.
4. Maybe wipe bowl a bit with paper.
5. Rinse with water button.
6. May need 4+5 again occationally.
7. Close flap.

And don't make the mistake some distraught person on here did, you do not need the door open, the toilet bowl swivels to accommodate you.

A SOG is a great help.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Thanks again.

By not using aires you will restrict your motor homing to quite an extent. Most France Passion places we have stayed at do not have toilet facilities. Your prerogative of course, but If you are thinking of going to the fuss of using these bags things, you will have to dispose of them, if they go down the loo into the cassette it's no different to emptying your cassette in the normal manner. If they don't are you really going to remove the bag thing from the seat and wrap up the contents for later disposal somewhere.

I wonder why you won't use your own toilet, perhaps there are reasons you would share with us. Understand if you would rather not say, but even if you restrict yourself to sites only, will you be tripping the light fantastic to the facilities in the middle of the night, in the rain. You do seem to be making very heavy weather of what really a routine matter for motor homers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back