Aires - can someone please explain why they think they are a good Ida? (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
into the aire right into the centre of Reims went for a walk round

DING. Thank you. Thinking for entering southern Germany via Reims/Mulhouse for a change.

Last time we were in Reims was on a bike in September and we stopped and took shelter in the cathedral because we were so hot we could not continue.

Be nice to have another look round.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is another example of an expensive aire, 5 euros a night including electric and they had the cheek to charge extra for water (y) I't in Btittany
2012-09-17-001.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi, @lennyhb, can you tell us where the stellplatzs in your photos are, please?
That's taking a bit of brain wracking, and a bit of work with Google satellite views. Pleased I've just brought a new camera with GPS, it records location.

1st, 51.792987, 11.148089 Quedlinburg, about 350 km east of Dortmond, has best preserved ½ timber building in Germany, the war ignored it.

2nd, 54.671614, 13.407778 Putgarten northern extreme of Isle of Rugen

3rd, 54.449364, 13.560450 Prora about 4km north of Binz on Isle of Rugen, good spot for visiting Hitlers Prora, was an old Russian tank training ground.

4th 49.934419, 7.061361 Grassh an der Mosel, this one is on the banks of the Mosel close to Bernkastel.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for all your comments and pics. What are my thoughts of aires now? Some of them look really inviting, however some look totally unappealing to me. I am still not convinced that aires are conducive to the style of motorhoming we indulge in. Having said that we will probably at least have a look at some next time we are over there.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We tow a scooter and like you prefer to set up camp, at least for a while, but use aires for overnight stops en-route.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for all your comments and pics. What are my thoughts of aires now? Some of them look really inviting, however some look totally unappealing to me. I am still not convinced that aires are conducive to the style of motorhoming we indulge in. Having said that we will probably at least have a look at some next time we are over there.

I think technically you are still 'tuggers', just in reverse

Bev would love to do it your way, it really takes some mind training to get away from the idea of using a car (or bike in your case) for local work for those of us who have quite recently 'done' France by caravan, very much still work in progress for us

I have already added earlier in thread that we have found some aires that only just did for us, but arriving in the dark helps!! :D We are off to France at the end of April, we will use a few sites but also hope to have more nights on aires than sites, I would have liked to use some of those mentioned in this thread, but I see a few are keeping them anonymous to avoid overcrowding I guess :)

Good thread, :dogthanks:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
At €5 hardly a money spinner, it very convenient for town restaurants and nice walk/bike ride to the nature reserve. The one at the north end of town by the sand dunes is quite pleasant.

Probably the poorest quality moules we have ever had...and yes have stayed multiple times...must be a glutton for punishment. In Italy they would ot dare serve but bin them.....

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We spent 3 months in France 2013 and 4 weeks last year........... never used anything BUT aires :p

We love 'em, arrive, park, wander around the village/town/city.............. move on...........and repeat :cool:

For us touring in the van is all about the journey........... we can stay still back at home :eek:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
DING. Thank you. Thinking for entering southern Germany via Reims/Mulhouse for a change.

Last time we were in Reims was on a bike in September and we stopped and took shelter in the cathedral because we were so hot we could not continue.

Be nice to have another look round.

To be honest it's an aire of the type I wasn't expecting to like. Parking bays all together like a car park. But for an overnight so close to a city centre it was ideal..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We love 'em, arrive, park, wander around the village/town/city.............. move on...........and repeat :cool:

Quite sad this. You mean you've never been to a place where you've thought "I don't want to leave".

Well maybe I haven't but I like when after 3 or 4 days I think "Needed longer, we'll be back". Bruges, The Moselle, Fussen, Pesciera, Peurto del Sta Maria, Benidorm, Essaouira, Mekness and any many others fit that.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Quite sad this. You mean you've never been to a place where you've thought "I don't want to leave".

Well maybe I haven't but I like when after 3 or 4 days I think "Needed longer, we'll be back". Bruges, The Moselle, Fussen, Pesciera, Peurto del Sta Maria, Benidorm, Essaouira, Mekness and any many others fit that.

We have loads of places we want to go back to but there's always somewhere new to go so we never do...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have loads of places we want to go back to but there's always somewhere new to go so we never do...

Well one day you'll driving or planning and DING we must go there again.

Some places are just so good. Fussen for instance. It has the most spectacular castle in the whole world ( ticked off and it's expensive ), it has a second castle ( work in progress ), it has a lovely town to walk round, it has loads of excellent cycling, it has one of the finest campsites next to a lake. I make no apologies for returning.

But Venice, so famous, well one day walking round got the feel of it. Crowded, queues too long and anyway I'm a peasant and too much art fries my brain.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@lennyhb, Many thanks for the co-ordinates. Much appreciated. Just 'liking' your post wasn't enough so a BIG thank you to you.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

We have been to plenty of places that we don't want to leave, but if we don't leave we won't find even more places that we 'don't want to leave' ;)

The one place that we really did not want to leave was NORWAY.... the whole of it :eek:

As I said, for us , motorhome travel is exactly that......... travel :D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As I said, for us , motorhome travel is exactly that......... travel :D

I think we may remain a little apart on this, I have been accused of "itchy feet" more than once but with age and retirement I've slowed down and come to terms with a week in one place. Garda for instance, it can be a week without driving but with bicycles, buses, trains and boats it's not a week stuck in one location.

The Rhein is similar. Cycle and boat up and down it. Find the best Schwarzwalderkirchtorte ( could be in Sankt Goer or Cochem, it's a close run race ) which bares no resemblance to what is served in the UK.

A week in Tafraoute, southern Morocco, was too short. So much to explore that is quite different to us Europeans.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I haven't read the thread at all so bearing this in mind this is my view.
Aires are specifically for us and us alone. I find that they are often much better placed for touring (than campsites) being in town or the very edge. We don't have kids and neither do most aire users (bonus).
There is no booking so no plans to make. I don't like to pay for facilities that I'm not using so Aires fit the bill perfectly.
I see no advantages for us personally in using a campsite.
Really the advantages go on and on if you don't have to keep anyone entertained.
I don't care what an aire charges, in fact a good fee helps keep numbers on site down (y)

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I think technically you are still 'tuggers', just in reverse
Never been a tugger. Used to camp (tent) with the motorbike and then went straight to a motorhome. That was 16 years ago. First van was a Laika which had a wind out bumper/scooter rack on which we carried a Gilera 180. Swapped that (the Laika, not the Gilera) for the Frankia and bought an Excalibur trailer in which we carry the Wing and that's what we've been doing ever since. Have toured abroad every year in either France, Spain, Germany or Italy but with the exception of the 2 mentioned in my OP we've never used aires.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have toured abroad every year in either France, Spain, Germany or Italy but with the exception of the 2 mentioned in my OP we've never used aires.

May have missed it, but I don't think you have specifically said why you don't like the idea of aires.. ?
I'm guessing it's a security issue.. you do a lot of touring on the bike, leaving the van on site all day.. maybe even overnight ?

If that is the case I can appreciate your concern.. and probably not ideal for your style of traveling.. aires by their very nature are not as secure as a gated site... most are open to the public.. many have footpaths going through them.. and at night you can get unwelcome visitors, boy racers and the like..

In saying that we've only had one theft on an aire.. Cap Breton, bike cut off the rack .. but that is over many years and hundreds of nights using them..same could have happened anywhere..

I guess you have to assess when you arrive... as you would with parking anywhere.. if it looks iffy.. move on.. if going out ask a neighbour to keep an eye on the van.. most vanners are very friendly and keep a look out anyway.. I love nosy neighbours..

If you feel more relaxed and secure on a site try the Municipals.

We don't do wild camping because we had a bad experience at Aldeburgh while parked on the sea wall.. it has put us off.. irrational maybe.. but we prefer the security of a site or CL now, but oddly have never felt insecure on a French aire..

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As I said earlier, we do use municipal sites. You are right in that one of the reasons we don't use aires is becausae of security but also we don't like being "crowded", we like to spread out and get comfortable, we don't like the thought that we may have to move on every couple of days whether we want to or not, we don't have to carry water for showers etc as we use the site facilities and finally, to be blunt, some of the aires we've seen look like car parks or worse.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@TheTwoOfUs

I agree with your sentiment and clearly Aires are not for you........ but........ you did ask members of the forum to explain why they are a good idea ;)

Many reasons have been given and quite clearly it can be seen that Aires are not as bad as you initially thought............ it is simply a personal choice and lifestyle :D

The motorbike issue does of course change things a little and help explain why you would not wish to use Aires.

All I would add to the debate is that now you are aware that Aires are not all as you thought perhaps you might try one or two on your next trip?

As has been said many times , we're all different and that's what make life interesting (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back