Aires - can someone please explain why they think they are a good Ida? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We prefer Aires & Stellplatz , always in convenient places, not keen on sites refer wild spots.
Here are a few German Stellplatz.

Hols June 09 231.jpg

Hols June 09 153.jpg

Hols June 09 104.jpg

P1000226.JPG

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This is the first one we ever used and loved it, right on the lake and every morning the bakers van came round and every second night the pizza van and the other nights chicken rotisserie. There's a campsite next door and they collect the payment.

Broken Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've not used a lot of Stellplatz but saw some fantastic ones last year when we were on the motorbike.
Just had the Stellplatz book arrive for use this year as we'll be in Germany quite a bit on 2 trips we're hoping to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
there are aires to suite every taste.. and pocket..

yes, there are many aires that are little more than a place to park for the night.. basic car parks with water and dumping.. ideal en route..

others, as you can see from the photos, you will want to stay longer.. and when it's out of season you can stay as long as you like, .. I've never been told to move on.. just go and try a few..

What I meant was that even among the photos there are some aires I wouldn't stop at. I won't name them as it would be unfair to the posters. It just goes to show that we all have different tastes and that is a good thing.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What I meant was that even among the photos there are some aires I wouldn't stop at. I won't name them as it would be unfair to the posters. It just goes to show that we all have different tastes and that is a good thing.

yes.. that is fair enough..

so what would be your 'ideal' aire ?

maybe we can suggest some to suite your taste ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd go along with all the others who've advised trying a few more aires. I'm not mad keen on the Calais port aire because of the overnight noise from the ferries but it's convenient for the beach.

They don't match everybody's requirements, and we sometimes use campsites if it suits us, but mainly we'll go for aires.

A bit of advance research on the CCI website and Google Streetview is well worth it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm not a big fan of the Calais port aire either but apparently it's due to close this year to be built on and another site is to be provided just outside the town. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/calais-aire-closing-2015.103194/

On our way back a couple of weeks ago we stayed at Broken Link Removed which is about 20 minutes from the tunnel and is nice and quiet with dump points so this one will be our automatic choice for a pre or post tunnel stopover from now on.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:france:Plus there are several Aires where you are not restricted to one night !
:wine: A big favourite of ours is Mortagne sur Gironde where we usually stay at least :wine: until we have been thru' the menus at both main restaurants :Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As Magicsurfbus say's
A bit of advance research on the CCI website and Google Streetview is well worth it.
I use searchforsites.co.uk read their info then go to google streetview with little yellow man, well before we go and pencil in which ones we like or dislike in the area which we hope to visit, still take aires books & tablet for looking up in the event aire is full or not suitable, only travel AM start looking for aire lunchtime or soon after. move on each day or 2nd day depending on whats on or whats worth seeing.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Saw this August 2014. I was drawn to the EXACT cost of the work.
The aire is at the top of their aerial view. Need a recent visitor to the aire to update us, or someone in Dover on a clear day on St Margaret's cliffs with good binoculars!!

aire.JPG

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
We don't want to drive the motorhome every day. We do use municipal sites because we can stay longer
Theres the difference then, I think...
I love driving every day and have the van for that very reason.
We used to holiday exactly like you, only it was with a car & caravan, not motorhome and motorbike.
We do all we want to see/do during the day then retreat to the nearest suitable aire. In one case it was the centre of Caen in the square immediately behind the main shopping street. Most times its a very quiet spot in the middle of nowhere

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't see what length of stay has much to do with it, although there are some Aires with restrictions we have yet to find one in over 6 years.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I don't see what length of stay has much to do with it, although there are some Aires with restrictions we have yet to find one in over 6 years.
I haven't been to an aire yet that hasn't had a 48 hr limit...
Perhaps that's why some aires look like Itinerant sites?? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
any aire near big cities or transport hubs like calais are not going to be very beautiful they are what they are convienient stopping places its the country side ones on lakes and rivers we love
obviously they dont suit the OP's needs for security due to long periods away from the van
nothing will suit everyone

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We like to sit outside of an evening and have a drink, is this possible? I ask this because as I understand it chairs and tables outside are not permitted. Is this a misapprehension ? Would I be right in thinking that trailers aren't welcome as they take up another pitch?

Much depends on the aire.. most have enough space, as you can see from most of the photos there is plenty of space to outside with a table and chairs.. you just need to be considerate of others.. when busy don't use a space meant for parking, you can sit in front or the rear of your van..

my guide is .. when in France do as the French do.. you won't see them sitting indoors on a nice day.. take your lead from them..

as I mentioned earlier, we never had an issue towing a box trailer.. sometimes I left it hitched other times unhitched and parked parallel... again play it by ear, don't deprive another camper from a place on a busy aire... rather look for aires that have plenty of space .. like many in the photos.

Frankly there is a lot of do's and don'ts spouted by those who have never actually used aires.. they read a guide book and take it as gospel.. 'armchair campers' I call them... probably never even been to France..

I gave a link in my first post for municipal campsites.. these are around €15 per night, great value for money.. all have EHU, toilets and showers.. don't expect CClub site standards with polished shower floors and neatly trimmed grass , but they are perfectly acceptable and some are beside municipal pools..

Aire in France simply means 'area' .. it doesn't mean a camping car place.. so don't confuse parking and service aires on Autoroutes which are used by all, trucks, cars, coaches, etc.. with Camping Car aires which are only for Camping Cars..

I really hope you give them a try.. like many, once you do you will be hooked , no need to book.. you can't, free to come and go.. they really do make motorhoming enjoyable..

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Well on Friday after work I got home and we decided to off for the weekend. we packed up and threw all in the overhead lockers and headed off. On the way to folkestone we stopped off for some tea. Then we booked the tunnel weekend special.

Got off the train and Ms Tigger fell asleep. I drove generally onwards until I saw the sign on the edge of a small village. We stopped, put the silver screens up and went to bed. In the morning, we woke up next to a fishing lake.. beautiful.

We drove on for another few hours stopping to look at stuff or have a coffee and about 6pm pulled into the aire right into the centre of Reims went for a walk round and picked up fresh bread Etc. Sunday had an explore and a lovely breakfast then a slow mozey back to Calais and a late train. Home about 1am.

Without Aires that sort of trip just isn't possible without loads of pre planning and some very understanding site owners.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'd go along with all the others who've advised trying a few more aires. I'm not mad keen on the Calais port aire because of the overnight noise from the ferries but it's convenient for the beach.

They don't match everybody's requirements, and we sometimes use campsites if it suits us, but mainly we'll go for aires.

We sleep in the ferry car park at Calais and sleep through everything..noise no problem.BUSBY.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
like you busby we can sleep through any thing. and we are yet to find a aires in the state that we would not use. but we have been in and out of campsites the same day.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Earlier poster mentioned the aire at Charmes by the canal. We have stayed there on and off over 20 years, but it is so popular we have now taken to staying on the municipal site next door which gives us more space and is very reasonable.
We regularly stay there because of its convenient position for a quick run up to the tunnel from the south, and theres a good vet for Meg, up behind LeClerc. From there its about 360miles on the free but bumpy Belgian motorways to Calais, easily done in a day.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The one at Ouistreham is even closer to the ferries. You can listen to the PA announcements on board the boats from the aire.

No big deal though. Still on the list of places to revisit.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have stayed on dozens over the yrs and also on France passions-for us it's more about where the aire is in relation to what we want to see and do.
Several have been on car parks and bus stations in the centre of a town.Basic facilities,but, only 5 mins walk from a Michelin starred restaurant or an art gallery,museum,a world famous piece of architecture etc.etc.
Campsites,being commercial operations,are generally sited in tourist areas and outside towns often necessitating a bus journey or taxi.
Aires are run by local councils for visitors to the area and often in 'La France Profonde' off the beaten track, are the only place to stay.
A few yrs ago we stayed in a grotty hotel in the 11th arondissement in Paris-it was either a short Metro ride or bus ride to everything we wanted to do,and at night the area was buzzing (y) We often laugh about the hotel now,but it was perfectly situated for what we wanted to do. Exactly like aires.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yes Le Crotoy IS a money spinning dump.. BUT, we use it on the way back home because there is a reasonably priced Vet at Rue, which is 15 minutes up the road..
Then we have a 90-ish mile run up to Calais..
Some great photos of aires and "wild" places.. Obviously a lot of like minded folk on here.. What a great life !!!! :LOL: Mitch..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes Le Crotoy IS a money spinning dump.. BUT, we use it on the way back home because there is a reasonably priced Vet at Rue, which is 15 minutes up the road..
Then we have a 90-ish mile run up to Calais..
Some great photos of aires and "wild" places.. Obviously a lot of like minded folk on here.. What a great life !!!! :LOL: Mitch..
At €5 hardly a money spinner, it very convenient for town restaurants and nice walk/bike ride to the nature reserve. The one at the north end of town by the sand dunes is quite pleasant.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
At €5 hardly a money spinner, it very convenient for town restaurants and nice walk/bike ride to the nature reserve. The one at the north end of town by the sand dunes is quite pleasant.

And we enjoyed the train ride around the Baie de Somme when we stayed there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back