Aires at Lagos & Alvor, Algarve (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Just been told that these 2 aires are closed! Can anyone confirm open or closed before we head there?

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Just been told that these 2 aires are closed! Can anyone confirm open or closed before we head there?
We where in Alvor last week and if you mean the large aire and I mean large down by the the little port ,it had only 2 vans on it but the entrance was still open . It did look strange when I guess you could get probably 200 vans on it .

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Both are closed.
however, you are allowed to stay 48 hours now wild camping, but not where restricted ( national parks etc) .
the old aire at Alvor is now a car park, but I have seen several MH’s in there recently, but don’t know officially.
camping Alvor isn’t expensive and I believe is around €16 per night with ehu and ACSI card for short stays. Good location and easy walk into the centre of town about 10 mins. 👍

……the only problem with Alvor is……..I live there🤣🤣🤣😎🍺

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Both are closed.
however, you are allowed to stay 48 hours now wild camping, but not where restricted ( national parks etc) .
the old aire at Alvor is now a car park, but I have seen several MH’s in there recently, but don’t know officially.
camping Alvor isn’t expensive and I believe is around €16 per night with ehu and ACSI card for short stays. Good location and easy walk into the centre of town about 10 mins. 👍

We went on holiday to Alvor in Summer 2000 and loved it! I remember visiting the wee Museum that included a reference to the installation of electricity in the town [1947 IIRC?]. We would be back in a heartbeat! (y)

Steve

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Very many thanks BreweryDave for such a prompt and informative response! That’s a great shame and you can tell the tourist board that 3 couples are not now coming to Alvor! It was to be one of our trip highlights as we have been before and love the town. Unfortunately we were disappointed with the campsite last time so won’t be returning there. Alvor needs the aire! Now heading for a new aire on the coast near Cadiz.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Both are closed.

That would be our main reason for going their Dave! Love to you and Jac xx

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Very many thanks BreweryDave for such a prompt and informative response! That’s a great shame and you can tell the tourist board that 3 couples are not now coming to Alvor! It was to be one of our trip highlights as we have been before and love the town. Unfortunately we were disappointed with the campsite last time so won’t be returning there. Alvor needs the aire! Now heading for a new aire on the coast near Cadiz.
Shame, I was looking forward to you buying me beer all night 🤣

The site has 2 different areas for tourers, one area quite rustic, and a newer part with gravelled pitches. There’s a pool, a tapas bar, and another bar/restaurant, ( all at €2 pint😉) but best of all it’s safe and secure, friendly staff keeping the place nice, has all the facilities, and is only a 10 min walk into what I believe is one of the best unspoilt but fun towns in the Algarve with a fantastic selection of bars, restauants to suit all pockets and tastes, cocktails, the harbour area and miles of golden sands as well as lots of good nature walks along the river, as well as the miles of boardwalk across the dunes and the lagoon, and almost all the way to Portimão!

But never mind, enjoy Cadiz😎👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Arrived at Chipiona Marina aire in the dark but town seems quite pleasant with more restaurants than you can shake a stick at! There’s a castle, famous lighthouse and a beach next to the aire.

shame about Alvor, we do like it there. You don’t need to sell the town BreweryDave but it needs the aire on the front! We have a large van and could not find a decent pitch last time and its on the outskirts on the wrong side of town.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
just two weeks until we head to Portugal. Can't wait. Booked a site in Cascais for Ironman and it was dead cheap e20 a night on a big site I thought was quite reasonable. Looks a lovely place, just need good weather but more importantly no wind for Ironman on the Saturday... no hope though...

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Spent a few days in Cascais last year on my boat 😎
lovely town👍
F7C07E9C-68D9-48D9-88E1-51A979141A82.jpeg
41F5D1A5-9376-4B07-8275-DCBDD69716B9.jpeg
706E43DE-A3D3-4096-9375-E3A234F2AAEA.jpeg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can personally vouch that that is dangerous. Whenever we go out with Dave and Jackie I always get a terrible headache the next day. They are very good at the 12 hour lunch.

BEWARE - you have been warned :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mind you hope to see them again in the spring just to make sure they are not slacking. (y);)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Certainly not... Mr Boycott put me off most things "Yorkshire" many moons ago.

When I stay in Alvor I don't pay €16... mind you, I don't get my chair out and sit in that beside my van either!

JJ :cool:
When we toured Spain and Portugal before covid we spent 6 weeks staying on aires and campsites and our costs were 130€ total. Terrific value. Phil

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Love Alvor always spend some time there when in Portugal. We chose to stay on the site as the, at that time aire, had no shade at all, we costed the price for staying there, extra for water extra for waste disposal and, although ignored signs saying no awnings no washing lines. Not much different to the site with showers a lovely pool reasonable bar and food and an enjoyable walk to the port.
Should be there now but decided to give it another year.

Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1986
Lagos was closed when we were there last year, and we were told it would be permanent because they are building on it. There were some vans parked in the car park next door but we didn't fancy it.
IAlvor was also closed I think the previous year but some people we met said they had been allowed to wild camp in Alvor for 48 hours just outside the aire (where we always used to wild camp before the aire was opened)

Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1986
Lagos was closed when we were there last year, and we were told it would be permanent because they are building on it. There were some vans parked in the car park next door but we didn't fancy it.
IAlvor was also closed I think the previous year but some people we met said they had been allowed to wild camp in Alvor for 48 hours just outside the aire (where we always used to wild camp before the aire was opened)
Have heard about a new designated motorhome parking place in Lagos with overnighting allowed. The photos show lots of vans on the other side of the river from the old aire. GPS is N 37.113711 W 8.676813

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Love Alvor always spend some time there when in Portugal. We chose to stay on the site as the, at that time aire, had no shade at all, we costed the price for staying there, extra for water extra for waste disposal and, although ignored signs saying no awnings no washing lines. Not much different to the site with showers a lovely pool reasonable bar and food and an enjoyable walk to the port.
Should be there now but decided to give it another year.
Safer than UK and at my age I need to make every week count never mind year..BUSBY😄😄

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We hope to be back n the campsite in Alvor next year. But i might have to bring extra tea bags. looking forward to it . A great campsite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back