LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the French provide some very basic motorhome only camping spots, often in the village square or a flat carpark. these are there for everyone to use and are very often free or if not minimal charge. most include a disposal point and a tap for water (some take tokens) and a few have some electric hook up points

france is so much more motorhome friendly than the uk its great

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Short for 'Aire de Service - Camping Car' in France. In Germany they are called Stellplatz; in Italy Aree di Sosta (or just Sosta). Generically called 'Camperstops', they are available throughout much of Europe. Often free in France and sometimes in Italy; there is usually a charge in Germany and Holland, but some are free in most countries I think. When we are abroad, we use them almost exclusively, only occasionally using full service campsites.

Here is a short description http://www.motorcaravanning.com/travel/aires.htm

Here is a link to a French website that contains one of the best general listings: http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Vicarious Books publish "All the Aires in France" (and other books for different countries).
These show pictures of each of the Aires they have vetted, There are many hundreds of Aires all over Europe. They vary between the sublime to the basic. After using them for several years, a holiday with our van would not be complete without using them.

Alan

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome. I wrote a bit about aires in reply to a thread on a different subject

Broken Link Removed

You may find some of it answers your query.

If you have particular points to raise please ask. Always happy to share our experiences.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
:welcome: You need help and advice:youbetcha:
Well worth the £10 subs fee huh, help and advice as quick as that, and you may need scores more questions answered so loo forward to you being a full member, also here is the web site for the Aires books for all over Europe and I would not leave home without them, as they cover quite a lot of Europe and Scandinavia, any more help just ask as there is a fantastic amount of knowledge on here that you may need when just starting. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Link Removed
Tel : 0131 208 3333

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We usually only use Aires when we are in France. We used a campsite once last year because all the local aires were full. They range from very small, just for a van or two, to very large, 100+ vans.

heres a few we used over the last 12 months.
Aire at Quend. Somme
13956630154_a8a87fee08_m_d.jpg

Somewhere near Dijon
13956188855_d53d8b0e47_m_d.jpg

Next to River Lot
12977008515_065911cb87_m_d.jpg

A lot of them are quite basic, none of these were.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back