Aire hoggers (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
At Gruissan port at the moment and we have a space hogger. Seafront pitch. Large boulders in place to allow nobody to park next to him. Awning fully out all day. Some folk think the earth belongs to them. Tried moving the boulders last night but he was straight out there to put them back. Wonder why the management don't stop this. Perhaps he has paid double price. Opinions please?

Lin:RollEyes:

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
French. Been there 2 nights that I know of

Lin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We've seem quite a few of them, sitting under their awnings with seats everywhere smiling smugly as you drive around trying to find a space.
We drove to an aire in Normandy on the coast with 50 spaces. There were no more than 25 vans there and it was full.
Very annoying
Then you get to another aire and people move to enable you to park.
There doesn't seem to be one nationality worse than the others, but they never seems to be German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, British or Belgian!
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Wonder why the management don't stop this..

Maybe he IS management? Or management's cousin.

I remember once at the Dieppe aire seeing an Austrian MH owner who thought his vehicle had a 20 yard force field around it, and anyone violating his boundaries could be ranted at. All this in what was basically a bloody car park. Good job he wasn't at Calais.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
At Gruissan port at the moment and we have a space hogger. Seafront pitch. Large boulders in place to allow nobody to park next to him. Awning fully out all day. Some folk think the earth belongs to them. Tried moving the boulders last night but he was straight out there to put them back. Wonder why the management don't stop this. Perhaps he has paid double price. Opinions please?

Looks like an obvious case for some bread on his roof at night:winky:
images

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i agree its really annoying when some one sets out a full encampment on a aire [esp if its a free one]. which were never intended to be campsites in the first place. i must say though, that ,having just returned from a month in france i was quite surprised at the price that some aires were charging ,supposedly just for the purpose of allowing you to park up overnight !! in one instance [fort mahon i think] it was 9euros to park on a carpark in front of a sand dune for christs sake !!! for 3 euros more we were staying on municple sites with all amenities . ehu,all the water you needed etc and[ because it was the end of the season] as much space as you wanted!! very handy with me, my other half ,a lively black labrador and 3 guinea pigs !! talk about the CLAMPETS on tour eh !!!! regards garry

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Being booked on the 8.20am crossing, we went to the aire in Ouistreham last week. The charge there is €8 to be paid by card, unfortunately, the machine does not seem to accept British cards. The sign on the side of the machine informs that you can buy a ticket at the Municipal site (Camping Les Pommiers) which is about 1 mile back. This was confirmed by the local friendly policeman who was inspecting tickets on the other parked vehicles.

At the municipal, they offered us a ticket for the aire at €8 or stay over on site for €10 including electricity etc. We stayed there the night and had no complaints. There is a gate off the site onto the canal and a short walk back to the port.

We used to use aires a lot, but in recent times, attitudes (and now prices) seem to be changing. We were on the aire at Arromanches a week ago and it had more vans parked on it than the stated capacity, it was all very cosy! I must admit, we moved off onto the municipal site, big pitch in the sun.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Being booked on the 8.20am crossing, we went to the aire in Ouistreham last week. The charge there is €8 to be paid by card, unfortunately, the machine does not seem to accept British cards. The sign on the side of the machine informs that you can buy a ticket at the Municipal site (Camping Les Pommiers) which is about 1 mile back. This was confirmed by the local friendly policeman who was inspecting tickets on the other parked vehicles.

At the municipal, they offered us a ticket for the aire at €8 or stay over on site for €10 including electricity etc. We stayed there the night and had no complaints. There is a gate off the site onto the canal and a short walk back to the port.

We used to use aires a lot, but in recent times, attitudes (and now prices) seem to be changing. We were on the aire at Arromanches a week ago and it had more vans parked on it than the stated capacity, it was all very cosy! I must admit, we moved off onto the municipal site, big pitch in the sun.

If Aires are for motorhomes only then shouldn't municipals be for tuggers.

mr moo

Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
VW van conversion
Exp
on & off for some time!
had similar problem the other week at the aires near Sete on south coast of France. The place was crammed-pack-full, only room to open your door to get out, think it took 30 vans, but l guess there were more than that, those on the corners seemed to have been there a while, the awnings, the chairs, the washing etc.

Would hate to think what would happen if there was a fire? As the aires was full, we didn't stop, seemed to be loads of MH searching for somewhere to park, problem made worse with height barriers on what seemed all of the car parks in the area.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Just slip a German helmet on when you next see him. If he's French, he will pack up and head for Dunkirk record time...........:thumb:

We were stuck in a huge jam years ago, trying to get off the ferry in Dunkirk. The French farmers had blocked the road out of the ferry terminal. A very frustrated guy was chatting to me as we waited. "Pity", he said, "that they didnt block the bl**dy roads when the Germans were advancing in 1940"

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back