Airbag warning light (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2017
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79 4T
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,can anyone help please,the airbag warning light on our 2017 Bailey Autograph is lit up on the dash.We last used the van in November and it was ok then, the vehicle battery needed charging last week so was hoping that might clear it but it is still on.Perhaps there is a way to reset it?your help would be appreciated.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi,can anyone help please,the airbag warning light on our 2017 Bailey Autograph is lit up on the dash.We last used the van in November and it was ok then, the vehicle battery needed charging last week so was hoping that might clear it but it is still on.Perhaps there is a way to reset it?your help would be appreciated.
I think it might need to be plugged into the fault reader machine to clear it. Maybe a local mobile mechanic could plug it in for you.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If the vehicle battery has went "flat" it may have triggered an error in the airbag ecu. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.

Have a look at these threads, might give pointers.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Check fuses, it happened to me when a fuse was blown while changing the vehicle radio. New fuse, light went off !!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If all the usual checks fail to find the problem it may be the Airbag ECU thats gone rogue. It's a common fault that seems to be linked to low batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My 2016 Fiat Airbag ECU failed earlier this year.
I got the codes read which showed it was the ECU that was knackered. Called Fiat camper assist in Italy and they told me to book in to a Fiat agent and if diagnosis showed that the ECU was the issue they would pay for the part if I paid for the labour. Took it in and Fiat did as they said and paid for the ECU.

My van was 4 years old so out of warranty but as I had a full Fiat service history and only 20K on the clock Fiat agreed to pay with no argument. They even phoned me after the work was done to check all went well.

So my advice is contact Fiat and get it booked in.

OP
OP
JJ Jeffrey
Dec 13, 2017
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79 4T
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks everyone for your input on this problem will check the simple things you have suggested first then it will be help of professionals not mechanical minded so will have to pay 😒,,

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've just had our ECU replaced at a cost of £446 at a Fiat service centre. The receptionist said it was a fairly common occurrence. As others have said it is thought to relate to low voltage while the van is stood.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We've just had our ECU replaced at a cost of £446 at a Fiat service centre. The receptionist said it was a fairly common occurrence. As others have said it is thought to relate to low voltage while the van is stood.
What year is yours?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It is 2013. Contacted (or at least I thought I had) Fiat customer care via their web-page but have had no reply.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Why contact Fiat when it’s obviously a Peugeot, As far as I recollect Bailey only built on them.
Until Bailey built on a Ford they could never offer an auto box.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why contact Fiat when it’s obviously a Peugeot, As far as I recollect Bailey only built on them.
Until Bailey built on a Ford they could never offer an auto box.
Obvious to you maybe! But not to others when the OP has not said it's a Peugeot

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Oooo, I’m sorry for being presumptuous, I thought most people on here were pretty well switched on regarding knowledge of Motorhome’s, obviously not.
The only saving grace as far as I can see is the Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat are an EU product and can’t be derided as “ what do you expect, it’s British built.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
We use Crash Data in our workshops, the return is pretty good as on popular items they operate an exchange service.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Got’ya, if that’s the case give a Citroen dealer a call for a price as if the Peugeot uses a Fiat ecu then most probably then so will Citroen, their prices are usually keener. Worth a try.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Thanks everyone for your input on this problem will check the simple things you have suggested first then it will be help of professionals not mechanical minded so will have to pay 😒,,
It’s very simple job to remove and replace it, and the most it can cost you is about £300 for a new one if you send it to Crashdata, less if it only needs repair.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It’s very simple job to remove and replace it, and the most it can cost you is about £300 for a new one if you send it to Crashdata, less if it only needs repair.
just to be clear.

if you replace the airbag ecu you will need it proxy aligned to the existing system and that is not a simple task unless you have some knowledge and the software to do it.

if its repaired by crash data and not a replacement its as you say remove, repair refit, but you may need to clear the fault code, it does not always reset itself.

crash data is the cheapest and simplest if the OP is able to take off the unit and replace it taking some basic care with the vehicle electrics.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My light came on for a while,then went out then 6 months later came on and stayed on. Fiât 2012, previous owner had original replaced just over a year from new . Posted to Crash data YESTERDAY. They rang for payment and advised of despatch TODAY. Fixed. Now that is service!!
Will ensure battery fully charged before starting as low voltage often the cause of the problem.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
just to be clear.

if you replace the airbag ecu you will need it proxy aligned to the existing system and that is not a simple task unless you have some knowledge and the software to do it.

if its repaired by crash data and not a replacement its as you say remove, repair refit, but you may need to clear the fault code, it does not always reset itself.

crash data is the cheapest and simplest if the OP is able to take off the unit and replace it taking some basic care with the vehicle electrics
Ours wouldn’t reset, tried all the suggestions, checked with my reader, I removed it carefully, sent it to crash data, it couldn’t be repaired, condensation inside/corroded, new one, they programmed it, I just carefully replaced it. Job done!

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Just remember that any fault lights on your display will mean an MOT fail

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Call out your breakdown provider, they should be able to scan it and give you a fault code. That will point you in the right direction. It could be anything to do with air bags even a damaged wire that could have been chewed by a rodent whilst the van has been laid up. Check the fault codes before thinking about anything else

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We were scared of changing the ECU ourselves but it was easy once we had some lovely funsters to talk us through it. Pictures and details in one of the threads linked above. Crashdata brilliant £75. Our trigger was a high voltage spike. No idea why that happened and it wasn’t very high. Thankfully has not recurred.

Jul 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V line
Exp
I've done a few miles!!
Hi, Jean from Crash Data here. Please take a look at our dedicated motorhome page for advice regarding your airbag module. https://www.crashdata.co.uk/Articles.asp?ID=262
Or feel free to give us a call regarding your module, I’m sure we will be able to help you.

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
Hello All,

I too have the airbag warning light problem on our Bailey Approach. I have located the airbag sensor unit as per instructions from Crashdata. What tool do I need to unscrew the three bolts that hold it? Ring spanner? Offset ring spanner? It is SO awkward to get at it.

Thanks to all

Stephen

Attachments

• 20210312_115150.jpg
    20210312_115150.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 26

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’ll ask husband when he comes out of shower. However, once bolts undone we also found we needed help with the attachment, look back in this thread

to post #55 where there is a very helpful photo.

Jul 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V line
Exp
I've done a few miles!!
Hello All,

I too have the airbag warning light problem on our Bailey Approach. I have located the airbag sensor unit as per instructions from Crashdata. What tool do I need to unscrew the three bolts that hold it? Ring spanner? Offset ring spanner? It is SO awkward to get at it.

Thanks to all

Stephen
Hi Stephen,
You will need a 10mm short socket to remove the bolts.
Regards,
Jean

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back