Airbag warning light - help please (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
So, heading off to Spain, leave home Wednesday. Just moving van this morning, airbag warning light not going out and message "Check Airbag" flashing. Manual no help, nearest Fiat Pro outfit stacked up with work.
If it means that airbags might not deploy, then I'm not too worried. After all, most of us have spent years driving without airbags.
But if it means the airbags might deploy unexpectedly, well that's a different matter.
Any ideas?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So, heading off to Spain, leave home Wednesday. Just moving van this morning, airbag warning light not going out and message "Check Airbag" flashing. Manual no help, nearest Fiat Pro outfit stacked up with work.
If it means that airbags might not deploy, then I'm not too worried. After all, most of us have spent years driving without airbags.
But if it means the airbags might deploy unexpectedly, well that's a different matter.
Any ideas?
Try undoing and doing up again the connecter under the seats, sometimes they get disturbed if moving seats or swivelling them, nearly always the cause of the light(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are a few regular faults

1 the wiring under a swivel seat damaged

2 the clock spring in the steering column snapped

3 the airbag ecu has failed

normally it is 1 or 2, but have heard of quite a few ecu fails

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I might be talking a load of cobblers here but I think it is best to disconnect your battery before messing with airbag wiring.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
They’re a pain in the neck those lights and an MOT failure, it can be the wiring under the seats, true. If not take it to an auto electrician, they can normally sort it as it’s so common on all vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I might be talking a load of cobblers here but I think it is best to disconnect your battery before messing with airbag wiring.
always a wise move in case of any parasitic current causing the airbag to go off

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think you need to go that far but make sure the ignition is off.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Had that problem with ours, it was a faulty ECU, we were lucky Fiat paid for the replacement.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Same problem and it was the airbag ecu. We were told it meant that the airbag might deploy when you didn't want it to. Seems unlikely as that would be very dangerous and should make the van unsafe to drive in which case I shouldn't have been allowed to drive it 2 hours to Southampton to get it done under warranty. Seems more logical that with the fault it might NOT deploy. Having said all that I'm afraid it's all supposition from me who knows nothing about mechanics but just using logical thinking haha. Good luck but what a pain for you.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@NickNic Is spot on they have to passive fail , and it doesn't mean that all the system will fail if the fault is just one item circuit unless single critical . When doing the underseat wiring check , it will need the ign off to be able to do the re check when you switch back on anyway . Don't just check the plugs are together , as they usually are, because double locked, its more likely the locating tang on the pin has been bent and allowed the cable to be partly pulled out of contact . So physically check the wire for movement . Airbags are harder to accidentally deploy than they used to be.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Airbag ECU sounds like the likeliest culprit, you will need a diagnostics check to be sure.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
what m/h is it £440 if ecu
It's a Rapido V55 PVC, on a Fiat Ducato, first regd Jan 2017 so should be still under warranty (2 years?).
The problem isn't getting it fixed, it's getting it fixed (or not) tomorrow.

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
We had our airbag ECU fail at 1100 miles, and replaced under warranty. Unfortunately we had to wait 10 days for the new part to come from Italy! As already said the airbags will NOT deploy if there is a fault, the system is shut down until fixed.

Colin

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Connector under seat was the issue with both my Smart and the Punto. I now have a programme to reset the MIL and Airbag lights after I fix it. Saves a 40quid visit to the Garage each time!. Multiecuscan software runs under Windows for Fiats. The "free" version will not reset lights. But the 50quid upgrade will and was worth having (for me anyway). plus USB OBDII "dongle" off e-bay.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
there are a few regular faults

1 the wiring under a swivel seat damaged

2 the clock spring in the steering column snapped

3 the airbag ecu has failed

normally it is 1 or 2, but have heard of quite a few ecu fails

Mine was ECU failure.. just over two years old....

Ten min job for them to replace.. and just over £200 If I recall...

I had to wait for part.. but as a F/t’r carried on regardless until fitted..

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Update, decided best to have it checked properly and delay travelling for, hopefully, a couple of days. Nearest Fiat Pro has slotted us in tomorrow evening (incredibly, the workshop runs from 7am until midnight), se we'll know what the problem is on Thursday and then decide what to do.
Thanks to all for your input.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Airbags make a big bang and a big mess so DO make sure you take OFF the battery lead first before delving in there.:eek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Airbags make a big bang and a big mess so DO make sure you take OFF the battery lead first before delving in there.:eek:
and wait at least 5 minutes after disconnecting before touching the wiring for the airbag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back