Airbag light on - MOT fail. (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Sod’s law...on way to MOT centre this morning and the airbag light came on which of course resulted in a fail. I had been giving my 2016 Ducato MH a drive every 2-3 weeks or occasional EHU hook up for 5/6 hrs since it went into storage in October. The airbag EHU seems to be the fault according to preliminary diagnosis but getting a further diagnosis this week as the EHU wouldn’t communicate properly with diagnostic equipment. Leads and wires all checked nothing found although doesn’t seem to be a seperate fuse for airbag ? I had read this is not uncommon when MHs are laid up but thought I was being careful enough with sufficient runs out or EHU. Is this a common issue? Crashdata will fix EHU for £70 or do I get a new one for about £350 fitted ? Bit disgusted as thought I was being careful!!

Solution
I'm convinced it was the wrong size battery fitted to my Peugeot based 2015 Elddis..Mine was 680 A/h not 950 and so didnt store the voltage good enough over the winter PLUS on starting strained the battery too much.
Paid to have the seat belt /airbag sensor repaired .New battery at correct power has done the trick.
Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Make sure you are sending to Crashdata. When I was discussing mine I was made aware another company are using a similar name and offering reset service. Crashdata had had customers complaining to them when they had not serviced their unit. Look on previous thread on this for details

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Update - got the EHU module back from CrashData. It was a B0100 code problem, voltage either too high or too low. Good prompt service from them. Cost £78 including VAT and p&p.

Suspicions about the condition of the cab battery delayed reinstalling the airbag ECU module. The original battery must be well over 4 years old. After charging it via EHU, over the course of a week I measured the voltage every morning to see how long it would stay at 12.7v. 6 days later it measured 12.6v. Charged it up again on Sunday. Next, let the voltage drop to 12.9v before disconnecting the battery, wait 30 minutes, and reinstall the airbag EHU module. Reconnect the battery.

Yesterday (Monday) drove the PVC to Sainsbugs to do the weekly food shop.
Airbag warning light stayed off - HOORAY :dance2:Let's hope it stays that way.

It's a 15 mile round trip. Spent at least 10 minutes stuck in a long stop start crawl through the single lane roadworks section. Comfortmatic took the stress out of that.

Reckon soon I must get a new cab battery. Meanwhile I will charge it fully the day before I want to drive the MH. Just to protect the airbag ECU. This seems a bit ridiculous but a necessary precaution nevertheless.

The 2 hab batteries are fooked, quickly dropping to 12.5v without any significant draw on them. I'm not impressed by Banner. :swear2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Crashdata couldn't fix ..said this applies in about three in ten cases. Dealers don't have any in stock. There is a worldwide supply problem with hundreds of backorders and no dates of when it may be resolved. I despair with Fiat.

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
6FB93D74-E130-4C34-8718-B0F9ACDD0930.jpeg
we had ours replaced here. Pricey but 3 yr guaranteed .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
thanks my dealer quote is over £400 which I will happily (?) pay but doesn't make a difference none left !

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve been waiting for one for our Burstner since 18th Feb, Crash Data say delivery is imminent 🤞let’s see, our first trip out is supposed to be 16th April.
I have tried other places who say they have them in stock but they actually don’t

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Andy can you let me know if you get a chance when it finally arrives so at least I know there is movement. crashdata told me yesterday that there are some coming through but it is no were near meeting demand. thanks.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This is such a common safety defect in the X250 and X290 vans and some MH owners have had it more than once.

There is an article by Nick Fisher about it in the April issue of MMM technical section, although he deals with it by troubleshooting wiring issues, and if that doesn't fix the problem, advises getting it sorted by a FIAT dealer. Although I haven't actually seen it, I understand there was another article about this Airbag light problem in the technical section of the January 2021 issue of MMM which I think may have mentioned DIY removal and sending it to Crashdata to be reset. Can any Funster confirm this?

Why is FIAT allowed by VOSA to get away with this common defect?

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
I'm convinced it was the wrong size battery fitted to my Peugeot based 2015 Elddis..Mine was 680 A/h not 950 and so didnt store the voltage good enough over the winter PLUS on starting strained the battery too much.
Paid to have the seat belt /airbag sensor repaired .New battery at correct power has done the trick.

Upvote 0
Solution
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Andy can you let me know if you get a chance when it finally arrives so at least I know there is movement. crashdata told me yesterday that there are some coming through but it is no were near meeting demand. thanks.
Will do, when I phoned Crash Data last week they said I was 2nd on the list

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm convinced it was the wrong size battery fitted to my Peugeot based 2015 Elddis..Mine was 680 A/h not 950
680 and 950 are the cold Cranking Amps (CCA). The max amps the battery can deliver.
680a will start the engine, 950a will crank it for longer.
Sounds like yours is suphated and isn't accepting full capacity, the capacity is shown in ah... IE: 12v 90ah
A 12v 950ah battery would be the size of a chest of drawers.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Just been given a link to Crash Data - see below, looks like something may happen on Friday, will let you know if I hear anything

"24/03/21
Fiat have once again released a very small quantity of this order and we have now got these units out to the next batch on the list 2 weeks earlier than we were given!!! .... We are still outstanding huge quantities from our orders with Fiat and again have placed further orders with them to ensure we are at some point going to have our normal on the shelf stock levels.
We havent been given a date for the next at this point the next delivery but we are hoping the 09/04 date still stands .. we will update this when we manage to force a date out of them."

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a call from the garage, the replacement part is in, take the van in tomorrow to have fitted. I am surprised as Crash Data site still says August.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
lucky you Andy. I phoned Fiat Italy they gave me an estimate of late June

Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I have just purchased an airbag ecu for 2013 van from shop4parts.
Ordered at weekend, being delivered tomorrow, wednesday.
£256 inc vat, ouch

Dont know if they have yours in stock.
Thanks to Phill D for suggesting them in an old post.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
With all the more modern Fiats, it is a good idea to. Wait a few seconds after turning the ignition before starting the engine, give the system time to self test .

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Last year airbag light came on on the way to MOT. Went off when I stopped and restarted engine prior to MOT. Stayed off from March to August when it came back on and stayed on. Removed and sent to Crash Data. Just got it back ready to re-fit prior to MOT. I noticed the part had a date 18 months AFTER original vehicle registration. 2012. I contacted the previous owner who told me the original module failed just after warranty expired.
So, common fault and will fail frequently.
Crash data reset within 90 minutes of receipt by Royal mail. Good old fashioned service. 👍.

View attachment 470262

And so the misery continues. Went to use Motorhome and airbag light back on. My son who has a garage questioned Crashdata on my behalf. They pointed out they had reset and we had confirmed light went out and it passed the MOT. The fact it needed resetting later was not their fault but high or low voltage on battery.. My vehicle battery on each occasion was fully charged. I can only guess solar kicks in and goes too high to start with? But surely airbag ECU is not receiving power when stationary and ignition off?
Do I disconnect vehicle battery or even ECU when vehicle not in use?
It is no consolation that I am not the only one. Surely an ECU should not be so voltage sensitive?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think I would be inclined to open the loom by the airbag ECU. Identify the positive feed and retrofit a voltage stabiliser in the feed wire

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Allegedly, later replacement units are more robust but ...................?:unsure:

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I think I would be inclined to open the loom by the airbag ECU. Identify the positive feed and retrofit a voltage stabiliser in the feed wire
Excellent idea Big 1.... But can you explain in detail please for us non tecy's. or a nice trip up the M5 if you fancy it, i'll provide the beer :rofl:

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Excellent idea Big 1.... But can you explain in detail please for us non tecy's. or a nice trip up the M5 if you fancy it, i'll provide the beer :rofl:
There'll be a stabiliser already inside the ECU. I'd be more inclined to check the ECU earthing arrangements.

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
There'll be a stabiliser already inside the ECU. I'd be more inclined to check the ECU earthing arrangements.
Come on Tony, you cannot make a statement like that without explaining for the benefit of us tecy numpties

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Come on Tony, you cannot make a statement like that without explaining for the benefit of us tecy numpties
Most electronics operate at 5v or less so every electronic unit, or ECU, incorporates regulator circuitry to reduce the supply voltage to an appropriate level. I have no idea what causes the Fiat airbag or SRS ECU to fail as often as it appears to but earthing (or more correctly the 0v connection) can be an issue where high current devices (the highest on a vehicle is the starter) mix with sensitive electronics. Whether that is a problem in this case is hard to determine without knowing the source of the airbag ECU 0v.

• Thanks
Reactions: TCG
Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
From reading I have done there seems to be an eeprom that holds info when van is switched off.
If the ecu senses a crash this data is altered.
Sometimes this data gets corrupted. This is the fault motorhomers sometimes get.
In this case the repair is to get the eeprom rewritten with "clean" data specific to your ecu part number.
So what we need to know is how to stop the eeprom being corrupted.

Sometimes this is not the case and then we are told unable to repair.

Note, I have only gleaned the above during research to fix my airbag ecu. I may be wrong!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Three and a half months and I finally managed to get a replacement airbag ecu through fiat camperassist based in Milan. Local Fiat dealer has 6 on back order one since February. Pretty disgraceful. There were only 2 units in all of Europe!! Apparently problem is delivery of one component that goes into the unit. Now, how to manage the new unit to minimise it happening again?!!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Three and a half months and I finally managed to get a replacement airbag ecu through fiat camperassist based in Milan. Local Fiat dealer has 6 on back order one since February. Pretty disgraceful. There were only 2 units in all of Europe!! Apparently problem is delivery of one component that goes into the unit. Now, how to manage the new unit to minimise it happening again?!!
Happy to hear you finally got a replacement airbag ECU. (y)

As a precaution, first I fitted a new cab battery because the old one was at least 4 or possibly nearly 5 years old.

I also put the PVC on mains hookup for about 4 hours on the day before I want to drive it. It's a faff but the airbag light causes a much greater faff so I don't want to risk it happening again.

I also adopted another Funster's advice to wait until the dash warning lights go out before starting the engine.

You can't be too careful to not have a repeat of this common ECU failure :banghead:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back