Airbag light on - MOT fail. (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Sod’s law...on way to MOT centre this morning and the airbag light came on which of course resulted in a fail. I had been giving my 2016 Ducato MH a drive every 2-3 weeks or occasional EHU hook up for 5/6 hrs since it went into storage in October. The airbag EHU seems to be the fault according to preliminary diagnosis but getting a further diagnosis this week as the EHU wouldn’t communicate properly with diagnostic equipment. Leads and wires all checked nothing found although doesn’t seem to be a seperate fuse for airbag ? I had read this is not uncommon when MHs are laid up but thought I was being careful enough with sufficient runs out or EHU. Is this a common issue? Crashdata will fix EHU for £70 or do I get a new one for about £350 fitted ? Bit disgusted as thought I was being careful!!

Solution
I'm convinced it was the wrong size battery fitted to my Peugeot based 2015 Elddis..Mine was 680 A/h not 950 and so didnt store the voltage good enough over the winter PLUS on starting strained the battery too much.
Paid to have the seat belt /airbag sensor repaired .New battery at correct power has done the trick.
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Any idea how you do a reset. Battery cable was disconnected then reconnected, no 🥲

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Apparently this is a common fault, my airbag light is on and I’ve tried everything to turn it off, going to my local garage to have it cleared then will see if it comes back on.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It always seems to happen when you start the van when the battery is low. I'm told that if you wait 30 seconds for the ECU to settle before trying to start the engine it tends to be ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
yes this is the second time it has happened to me. currently awaiting the return from Crash Data. i am tempted to disconnect it next winter

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Apparently this is a common fault, my airbag light is on and I’ve tried everything to turn it off, going to my local garage to have it cleared then will see if it comes back on.
When ours came on, funnily enough when I was taking it out of storage to it's MOT last year, I asked the garage to forget the MOT and try and reset the fault. He tried three different machines and still couldn't get it to reset. He reckoned it needed the firmware reinstalled and not just a reset.
Sent it to Crashdata and they fixed it.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Are we sure it's always a fail? I thought mine would fail on this but it passed. Perhaps my mechanic just didn't have his spectacles on?

Upvote 0

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
some might suggest to to pull the bulb for the test, then its not on ... but maybe they look for it to be on then extinguish?

Have an occasional airbag waring light fail on my Sorento .. once lit it just stays lit until reset. Needs more that the basic OBDII device though to get into that part of the memory. Had it reset 3 times in 15 years ownership...and will buy the special reader next time. Was advised that a slight connection issue on start up (single occasion) triggers the fault and it doesn't check again till reset

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Crash data is the only place to go. Apart from their abilities to fix plus pricing I have always found them to be very honest. Used them commercialy in the past.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am sending my airbag ECU module to Crashdata tomorrow. Hopefully they can fix it.

I repeat that we should club together, and try to get VOSA to force FIAT to make replacing these ECU modules the subject of an official safety recall. FIAT is getting away with too many of these over-sensitive ECUs failing, sometimes more than once - I would call that a latent defect.

Upvote 0

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Sod’s law...on way to MOT centre this morning and the airbag light came on which of course resulted in a fail. I had been giving my 2016 Ducato MH a drive every 2-3 weeks or occasional EHU hook up for 5/6 hrs since it went into storage in October. The airbag EHU seems to be the fault according to preliminary diagnosis but getting a further diagnosis this week as the EHU wouldn’t communicate properly with diagnostic equipment. Leads and wires all checked nothing found although doesn’t seem to be a seperate fuse for airbag ? I had read this is not uncommon when MHs are laid up but thought I was being careful enough with sufficient runs out or EHU. Is this a common issue? Crashdata will fix EHU for £70 or do I get a new one for about £350 fitted ? Bit disgusted as thought I was being careful!!
As you say sods law,i had same happen to our motorhome last week,a mate of mine read on his scanner a fault with the AIR BAG ICU,today i have sent it off to ECU DOCTOR, UNIT30 HERON BUSINESS PARK WIDNES WAS 0SW,spoke to them first on phone £30 to reset if he cant fix it no charge,apparently a very common fault

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As you say sods law,i had same happen to our motorhome last week,a mate of mine read on his scanner a fault with the AIR BAG ICU,today i have sent it off to ECU DOCTOR, UNIT30 HERON BUSINESS PARK WIDNES WAS 0SW,spoke to them first on phone £30 to reset if he cant fix it no charge,apparently a very common fault
This is their weblink

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Last year airbag light came on on the way to MOT. Went off when I stopped and restarted engine prior to MOT. Stayed off from March to August when it came back on and stayed on. Removed and sent to Crash Data. Just got it back ready to re-fit prior to MOT. I noticed the part had a date 18 months AFTER original vehicle registration. 2012. I contacted the previous owner who told me the original module failed just after warranty expired.
So, common fault and will fail frequently.
Crash data reset within 90 minutes of receipt by Royal mail. Good old fashioned service. 👍.

D00B98D9-1726-482E-BA9B-FAB16A2DFD78.jpeg

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When you turn the ignition on, the modules communicate in a safety start-up test. Hence the light on the dash for a few seconds, that then goes out. Too many people either ignore the lights or have no idea what they mean

If the start-up test fails on low volts, then the light is set on the dash with fault code B010 held in the ECU memory. Sometimes rebooting the ECU will clear the fault AFTER the battery is charged. Or if the fault is persistent due to corrupted firmware (or actual fault), the code and light won't clear

The ECU used is a bad design if it is not voltage stabilised properly. All crashdata and others do is clean the terminals and re-flash the firmware usually. Then test and return to customer. If it fails the test, it will depend on the internal condition of the board. If even slightly corroded, it gets condemned, otherwise its checked and repaired if possible. New ECU's are not really much better than the original. The internal corrosion is caused by condensation running down behind the dashboard, where it runs over the ECU, which is placed at floor level at the bottom of the firewall. A silly design

Upvote 0

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
When you turn the ignition on, the modules communicate in a safety start-up test. Hence the light on the dash for a few seconds, that then goes out. Too many people either ignore the lights or have no idea what they mean

If the start-up test fails on low volts, then the light is set on the dash with fault code B010 held in the ECU memory. Sometimes rebooting the ECU will clear the fault AFTER the battery is charged. Or if the fault is persistent due to corrupted firmware (or actual fault), the code and light won't clear

The ECU used is a bad design if it is not voltage stabilised properly. All crashdata and others do is clean the terminals and re-flash the firmware usually. Then test and return to customer. If it fails the test, it will depend on the internal condition of the board. If even slightly corroded, it gets condemned, otherwise its checked and repaired if possible. New ECU's are not really much better than the original. The internal corrosion is caused by condensation running down behind the dashboard, where it runs over the ECU, which is placed at floor level at the bottom of the firewall. A silly design

Ok,so is there more in your opinion that could be done to protect the ECU from condensation,it seems crazy to me that the ECU is made out of metal that attracts condensation.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes, a strip of sticky neoprene rubber just uphill of the ECU diverting condensate away from the fragile electronics

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Ours caused MOT failure, was sent away to be reset but unfortunately that’s not possible, replacement is on back order, garage showed me a link showing 86 units are on back order and that they are due into country on Friday 5th March. Good job we are in lockdown so cannot use the MH

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Last year airbag light came on on the way to MOT. Went off when I stopped and restarted engine prior to MOT. Stayed off from March to August when it came back on and stayed on. Removed and sent to Crash Data. Just got it back ready to re-fit prior to MOT. I noticed the part had a date 18 months AFTER original vehicle registration. 2012. I contacted the previous owner who told me the original module failed just after warranty expired.
So, common fault and will fail frequently.
Crash data reset within 90 minutes of receipt by Royal mail. Good old fashioned service. 👍.

View attachment 470262

Mine has a different part number as well as a later date 26/11/16 that corresponds with the likely build date of the base vehicle. If FIAT kept changing the part number over the years, (there is a long list of the module part numbers on one of the CrashData web pages) how come FIAT hasn't solved this voltage sensitivity problem by now? Is it because it mainly affects only motorhomes not delivery vans? Given that the number of MHs affected is in the thousands I'm not surprised that replacement airbag ECU modules are in short supply.

DSCF0170.JPG

DSCF0167.JPG

The other niggle that I ran into is that there is a plastic trim piece at the bottom of the centre console covering the 2 rear nuts you have to undo. It was not easy to remove because you can't see that the 2 retaining screws need a special star shaped screwdriver bit and also the piece of plastic is badly made and jammed into place.

On the subject of corrosion there was no sign of any previous damp or condensation anywhere near the ECU module or its 2 connectors. If there is any condensation it must take place inside the steel ECU casing itself, which again is bad design.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back