Air Suspension (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I saw the VB stand but only had time to grab a brochure at the NEC and am interested in air suspension.

We have an 8m van and wonder if any Funsters have this system and their thoughts.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got VB full air suspension fitted on a 7.6m a-class van.
Whilst the van had a steady ride before fitting (little body roll) this has improved considerably, especially when overtaking and being overtaken
Biggest difference though was the way the bumps in the road are smoothed out, which adds dramatically to driver comfort as well as virtually eliminating interior rattles.
One of my favourite MH upgrades

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Does it help with levelling when on a site?

And if you don't mind what was the order of cost?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have E&P levelling jacks too, so don't use the air suspension for levelling. But I understand that you can pay extra for a levelling function, though I doubt it has much adjustment, nor will it offer the stability of hydraulic levellers.
Think of it as an added bonus, rather than the reason to buy

Edit: sorry didn't see the bit about cost
It's between £5k - £6k depending on spec

Last edited by a moderator:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I saw the VB stand but only had time to grab a brochure at the NEC and am interested in air suspension.

We have an 8m van and wonder if any Funsters have this system and their thoughts.
We had a Dunlop system fitted tt our 7.5m van two years. It's been the making of it. (y)

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
You can't use air suspension to level the van, at least not on our's. It helps with handling though especially on roundabouts.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry, forgot to mention.
Bring automatic, it constantly adjusts the ride hight to suit whatever load you're carrying.
Also the front of our A-Class is now higher than it was - not by mutch, but they tend to be low down at the front due to the weight

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You can't use air suspension to level the van, at least not on our's. It helps with handling though especially on roundabouts.
The Auto Level button (top left) is the one for levelling

IMG_5610.JPG

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Bought off eBay a air suspension kit for my transit based coach built.fitted it myself!well worth the £300 I spent! Vehicle handles so much better,reduces body roll when overtaking on motorway etc.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert

How much movement does it have for levelling? If not too much, I guess having hydraulics levelling legs fitted could be worthwhile.

We live near Oxford and wonder who would be recommended for fitting?
Both VB and E&P have a UK network of approved installers, many of which offer both systems, which incidentally can be linked together so that the air suspension lowers before the hydraulic levellers extend.
One thing to remember though is to notify your insurers after fitting as this does class as a modification to the spec. of the vehicle.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We visited the same stand and looked at the VB full air option. There is a leveling option but the adjustment margin we witnessed was small in comparison to the hydraulics. After much discussion we are thinking that we shall replace our front coil springs with some better ones and add hydraulics.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Both VB and E&P have a UK network of approved installers, many of which offer both systems, which incidentally can be linked together so that the air suspension lowers before the hydraulic levellers extend.
One thing to remember though is to notify your insurers after fitting as this does class as a modification to the spec. of the vehicle.
Good information - many thanks

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have the full VB air on our tag axle motorhome and it's fantastic. Expect to pay ~ £1500 per wheel, but in my opinion well worth it for the travel comfort it provides.

We too have the E&P for the level option as that provides the stability too. The air will provide a degree of level but doesn't offer the stability and range that the E&P provides.

The software that links the two systems together (VB & EP) dictates that the van is dropped to its lowest point on the air, which then gives a greater stroke range on the E&P hydraulic jacks for levelling.

If I had to budget for one only, it would be for the E&P level system and then search down the back of the sofa to upgrade the front springs to VB coil.

Cheers

Andy

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
VB full air will give the best ride, but at a price (£6k for two axles). It can provide a small amount of levelling for a further £500 but, if you want levelling, then hydraulic rams are the way to go. Hydraulic rams provide much greater adjustment and a stable van because the chassis is held rigidly, whereas air allows the vehicle to rock as you move around in it. E&P is one of the best but there are others, such as HPC and Goldschmitt. I’d steer clear of Gliderite, though, especially if you want automatic levelling.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have VB air suspension on our present MH. The dealers have priced Alko Air x 4 on their quote for a new MH. There is little difference in price, is the Alko any different or better, we have been very happy with the VB.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have VB air suspension on our present MH. The dealers have priced Alko Air x 4 on their quote for a new MH. There is little difference in price, is the Alko any different or better, we have been very happy with the VB.

That sounds like a good reason to stick with VB to me.

Martin

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have a quote for VB Full Air, remote control unit and E&P levelling. Including VAT, comes to £11,000.

Am saving up my pocket money.. :)

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Have Goldsmitt Air Suspension on 8.5m motorhome does what says on the tin have used for levelling when parked up but vehicle is not as steady as when on Hydraulic Jacks.
Case in point when someone exits or enters motorhome vehicle will roll to that side i didn't take up the Hydraulic Jack option and and admit to this being the only mistake i have ever made LoL!!!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have Goldsmitt Air Suspension on 8.5m motorhome does what says on the tin have used for levelling when parked up but vehicle is not as steady as when on Hydraulic Jacks.
Case in point when someone exits or enters motorhome vehicle will roll to that side i didn't take up the Hydraulic Jack option and and admit to this being the only mistake i have ever made LoL!!!!
Retrofit?

Martin

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
So after listening to all the advice on this site, we plumped for E&P system from SAP at Doncaster. We also had our front springs replaced.

Really impressed with the service and quality of install from Mick and his team.

Will save up my pocket money for the VB Air Suspension....

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
So after listening to all the advice on this site, we plumped for E&P system from SAP at Doncaster. We also had our front springs replaced.

Really impressed with the service and quality of install from Mick and his team.

Will save up my pocket money for the VB Air Suspension....

Is it expensive (or even possible) to move it to your next motorhome? I've been trying to talk myself out of getting the levelers for a while now :)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Is it expensive (or even possible) to move it to your next motorhome? I've been trying to talk myself out of getting the levelers for a while now :)
Yes, a lot cheaper than a new system. Mine are being moved over

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Honestly don't know..... just trying to enjoy it on our current van...

Reactions: awg
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Just Had VB Air assist with comfort pack installed on the rear leaf suspension of our PVC. While on the ramps at SAP we also upgraded the front coil springs using VB again

Excellent job done by SAP and the ride is much smoother..No regrets

Ralph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back