Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi i have a swift voyager on a maxi chassis

With the air suspension fitted does it improve the ride.

When parked up will it improve the van stability, thought about fiama jacks
under towbar.

What types/makes are best value and is it best to use two gauges

Thanks

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Is it on a std Fiat chassis or is it on the AlKo chassis? Auxilliary air suspension can certainly help with on road stability but its not likely to make much difference to rocking and rolling on site. We fit the Dunlop system and the most popular option for the filling point is a single gauge which both side's air lines connect to via a simple tap in each line. The top of the range option is a built in 12V heavy duty compressor with control panel on the dashboard but it is a painfully expensive option.

D.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 2012 Autotrail Tracker FB on a Ducato chassis.

The vehicle was lively in cross winds and did not drive at all well. The tow bar impacted the ground occassionally.

Dave Newell fitted air assisted suspension to the rear only (around £700) with on board air compresser and two independent air pressure gauges and it has totally transformed the way the vehicle drives.

The rear is stiffer so does make it more stable on site but even on the original chassis we have never felt the need for Fiamma jacking.

Cross winds and especially with lorries overtaking are no longer the white knuckle ride they were and the chassis has been transformed.

It was without doubt the best money we have ever spent on the motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Is it on a std Fiat chassis or is it on the AlKo chassis? Auxilliary air suspension can certainly help with on road stability but its not likely to make much difference to rocking and rolling on site. We fit the Dunlop system and the most popular option for the filling point is a single gauge which both side's air lines connect to via a simple tap in each line. The top of the range option is a built in 12V heavy duty compressor with control panel on the dashboard but it is a painfully expensive option.

D.

With respect Dave I thought the on board compressor option with control panel was good value from yourselves. The free trip out and recommendation to a great site nearby were just icing on the cake.

ps: the Funster discount you give took the pain out of the "option". (y):D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had it on 2 previous MHs (coachbuilts) and it certainly made a difference both in handling when cornering, on the straight or a winding road, less body roll when being passed by trucks and in windy conditions. When stationary it also supported the rear better so it didn't move around when we walked about. We now have a PVC so don't need it but if we went back to a coachbuilt again it would be one of the first things we'd add.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
@ dave newell lvs I have just emailed you reference fitting of the Dunlop air assist system after reading this post, thanks folk's.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Dave Newell fitted air suspension on our Hobby and I must say it made a vast difference when going round islands and on the motorway when being overtaken by coaches. Another bonus is it makes it slightly easier to level up on site.(y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
With respect Dave I thought the on board compressor option with control panel was good value from yourselves. The free trip out and recommendation to a great site nearby were just icing on the cake.

ps: the Funster discount you give took the pain out of the "option". (y):D

I didn't say it wasn't good value, just expensive, as in high cost. Very pleased that you are happy with your system(y);):D.

D.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We have a PVC with air. On our one you can adjust each side individualy so it helps with levelling. The ride quality is excellent and so much better than a van without it.
We intend to either tow a trailer with a motor cycle on it or a car on an Aframe so the air should assist this as well.

But it's the ride quality that is the biggest gain !

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If I may jump in on this one. Will Air make the same differences to a brand new vehicle or are the benefits mainly on older vehicle that have well used suspensions?
The benefits sound really good, but would it be worth waiting or getting done sooner rather than later. Vehicle is only a month old.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Will Air make the same differences to a brand new vehicle or are the benefits mainly on older vehicle

I had mine fitted to a three month old Frankia Platin Plus and really pleased with. I did not have the onboard compressor just the twin 8inch bellows to the rear axle. I use a standard cigar lighter compressor to raise the pressure.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If I may jump in on this one. Will Air make the same differences to a brand new vehicle or are the benefits mainly on older vehicle that have well used suspensions?
The benefits sound really good, but would it be worth waiting or getting done sooner rather than later. Vehicle is only a month old.
The benefit to a new vehicle is huge. Do to one where the suspension components are used the benefit must surely be even bigger.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
YES it will make a difference, you've got a longish MH (Sunlight A72) so you will certainly notice the better handling, ride etc - if you wait, once you DO get it you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Mine was a new M/H (7.2 meters) and made a big difference to the ride and stability, well worth the money when you consider that a new awning on the side of you van cost just as much if not more

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I had mine fitted to a three month old Frankia Platin Plus and really pleased with. I did not have the onboard compressor just the twin 8inch bellows to the rear axle. I use a standard cigar lighter compressor to raise the pressure.

Popeye, may I ask where you had yours fitted and which type please?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
My last motorhome was a brand new Auto Roller on a Ford Transit chassis and from new it was very low at the rear and looked overloaded when empty. I fitted the Dunlop system myself and was very pleased with it as it raised the rear by 100mm (4") it was also a superb ride with great handling. Our latest new van an Auto Sleeper Broadway I had the dealer fit rear air suspension before we picked the van up and again superb ride and handling.
Worth every penny, I also raise mine through the cig lighter socket with a 12volt compressor.

John.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The 12v compressors used; are they special or whould the tyre inflator that came with the MH work?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't need much to adjust pressure I used a cycle hand pump as it doesn't need a lot of pressure.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
From memory, the airbags on HGV's are only at about 1 Bar (15 PSI ish) so its easy to do with a bike pump, as Speve said..

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Thanks for the info and again apologies for the high jack, but I hope it helped out as well.

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
We have air on the rear of our Burstner, 7.5m, its fitted with a pump and control box so can be pumped up or lowered by the flick of a switch, I generally run it around 3 Bar, 6 being the maximum on the scale, the difference between 1bar and 4 bar is 30mm measuring on the towbar.
It was fitted when we bought the MH so don't know any different, but it does drive nice and feels planted, it has the Wider chassis.
A good addition I would say.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
From what I have heard on this thread and on pm's I'm convinced and I will be having a system fitted before April. Thanks to all but particularly Popeye and Neckender! (y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back