Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Hi all,

Just signed up and have a question.I.m interested in airsuspension on my Hymer exis-I. Having looked on several WEB sites, decided not to go for the DIY ones.
It seems that the majority have airsuspension on the rear axle only, but there are also ones on rear and front axle.
My question: Any experience with them and what is the benifit of having both axles done, as there is a huge price difference.
Thanks

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As I had problems previously with adding things to my van, I contacted my insurance company before fitting air suspension. They came back from their underwriters to say there would be no change to my insurance premium providing I had it fitted by a recognised fitter. Watling Engineers near St Albans were acceptable and did a good job. The question about extra payload is not straight-forward. At Newark I had my van weighed, they said the rear was 30kg overweight but allowing for the air suspension, if I fitted slightly wider tyres, I would be well under weight. The printed weight is 3850kg. I remain confused.

Cheers

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Thanks Alan,
I phoned my insurance also and they don't have any problems with air suspension nor Hydraulic leveling systems.
Regarding the payload, I will weight the motorhome before and after the system has been added and will look for the Max axle weights (front & rear) and the total weight. As long as all three remain in the limits it will be alright in my opinion
I don't completely understand why wider tires will reduce any axle weight.?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny,
Max payload on my Hymer is 620Kg on the 3500 frame.
According to Hymer it is 570kg and that is before you add any extras.
Have a look at your certificate of Conformity the figure you need to look at is Technical Mass in Running Order then add any extras you or dealer has fitted.

I can't run at 3500, I don't even carry a EHU lead, don't have an awning and combined weight of two of us only 120kg. I'm in the process of upgrading to 3850.

Have you weighed your van fully loaded for a trip? You might get a shock.:)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't want to patronise or teach anyone to suck eggs but this thread appears to confuse air assistance and air suspension.

Air assistance is fairly inexpensive (c £400) and comprises an air spring that replaces the rear suspension bump stop. There is a bump stop on each side that on 'our' chassis is actually used as part of the normal suspension function. Replacing it with an adjustable air spring gives the driver control over suspension firmness and it can be used to prevent / compensate for spring sag. It is not normally available for the front axle.

Air suspension entirely replaces the existing suspension medium (steel or composite springs) and requires considerable alteration to / replacement of suspension components (hence the price). It can be fitted to both front and rear.

Varying the pressure in either system offers a limited levelling facility with more adjustment being available from the second system especially if fitted at all four wheels.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't want to patronise or teach anyone to suck eggs but this thread appears to confuse air assistance and air suspension.

Air assistance is fairly inexpensive (c £400) and comprises an air spring that replaces the rear suspension bump stop. There is a bump stop on each side that on 'our' chassis is actually used as part of the normal suspension function. Replacing it with an adjustable air spring gives the driver control over suspension firmness and it can be used to prevent / compensate for spring sag. It is not normally available for the front axle.

Air suspension entirely replaces the existing suspension medium (steel or composite springs) and requires considerable alteration to / replacement of suspension components (hence the price). It can be fitted to both front and rear.

Varying the pressure in either system offers a limited levelling facility with more adjustment being available from the second system especially if fitted at all four wheels.

yes to most of what you say, except if you have a Mercedes chassis there is no option for full air suspension upgrades, rear only, that is what I was told anyway (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
This is getting interesting.

First, I agree that Airsuspension and Air assistance are two different systems.
I'm not interested in Air assisitance, thought made that clear in my first post.

Second ,regarding payload.
My info for Hymer exsis-i 698 shows:
Mass in running order:2880Kg
Max payload: 620Kg
Max load on front axle:1800Kg
Max load on rear axle:2000Kg
Max.permitted Mass:3500Kg.

My Verdict:
As long as one not exceed the Axle load and/or Max permitted Mass, one is within the law as far I see it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Some more additional info from the Hymer manual:
Mass in ready to drive condition:
This is made up as follows:
Unladen weight ( mass of empty vehicle with factory installed standard equipment.
Driver's weight of 75 Kg
Basic equipment weight.
Unlade weight includes lubricants such as oil and coolants which have been filled.
The on board toolset fuel tank filled up for 90%.

Basic equipment includes all equipment and fluids required for safe and proper use. (total 186Kg)
This includes:
Water systems filled up to 90% (100KG)
Gas bottles filled up to 90% (50Kg)
fuel heating system (12Kg)
Power cable for 240 power supply (4Kg)
Full toilet flushing
The installation kit for an auxillary battery (20 Kg)
Empty wate water and sewage tank.

The payload is made up as follows
Coventional load
Additional equipment
Personal equipment.

conventional load is the weight specified by the manufacturer for the passengers. i.e 75 Kg for every seat specified with the drivers seat already included.
Additional equipment includes all accessories and special equipment.
Example:
Max.permissable Load: 3500Kg
MPGW 2880Kg
Permissible load:620Kg
Conventional load: 2 Persons: 150Kg
Additonal equipment; 50Kg
Personal equipment: 100Kg
Weight left over: 320Kg.

Hope this all does not add to the confusion, and one can play with the additonal equipment and personal equipment, to find the figur of the available load.
Amen.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Some of weights don't tie up with the Hymer figures, Hymer quote the MIRO including the following.
Driver 75kg
Fuel 90%
Water 20 Lt
Gas 1 x 11 kg Aluminium Bottle

Also additional battery is 25-28kg not 20kg more if it is factory fitted with additional charger.

As I said in a earlier post look at your certificate of conformity and look at the TECHNICAL mass in running order this will be the MIRO that your van left the factory at.
Before you add the air suspension do weigh your van fully loaded for a trip, don't rely on manufacturers figures. The tolerance on the MIRO is +/- 5% that is 150kg, although from experience Hymer are much better than other manufacturers.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back