Air Suspension. Rubena Or Dunlop? (1 Viewer)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I am planning on putting some airbags on the back of my Ducato PVC as the rear springs are getting a little tired and I intend to use bike racks.

The inflation equipment I shall be designing and making myself as I can do this for easily less than £100 with twin gauges and independent inflation/deflation with the compressor.

I'm trying to keep costs down and it has to be said that the Rubena is about £100 cheaper for the pair. Has anyone had bad experiences with the Rubena bags? The van is a PVC and so can't really see that the bag is going to be running at anywhere near maximum pressure and so I would have thought the Rubena would suffice but I would value the opinions of others on this forum.

Thanks all,

David.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I think this is a classic case of 'u pays u'r money and takes u'r choice'. There are obviously very many out there and I am sure we would have heard on here if one was inferior to the other.
I was happy to go with the cheaper option on a PVC because as you say they are not going to be unusually stressed. Only time will tell.
The bottom fitting on mine was a clamp arrangement either side and partly under the spring rather than a plate held under the u bolts which is what the Dunlop kit looks like so mine was easier to fit but cant imagine there is much difference in time
Running at under 2 bar but not used van too much since fitting - may need to up the pressure- we will see

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Berni,

Which setup did you go for in the end? I'm looking at one on eBay
Broken Link Removed

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can get the price down a bit without gauge.

I'm glad to see you're only running at around the 2 bar mark as the pressure gauges I've ordered only go up to 4 bar. It's a silly thing but it has always offended me to see a pressure gauge operating barely into its range.:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I have just fitted the Dunlop ones and they seem to do the job okay. I'm using them to level up the van as well as helping with the suspension so on one side I have just above the minimum allowed at 10lbs and the other side has 40lbs in. Even this low pressure has lifted the back of the van at least 2inches.

Mike

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Look at tl tech they fitted mine and they work ok down in the alps now

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Berni,

Which setup did you go for in the end? I'm looking at one on eBay
Broken Link Removed

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can get the price down a bit without gauge.

I'm glad to see you're only running at around the 2 bar mark as the pressure gauges I've ordered only go up to 4 bar. It's a silly thing but it has always offended me to see a pressure gauge operating barely into its range.:LOL:

Fitted that kit 3000 miles ago. BUT acting on advice here I bought a second gauge off them so they are not cross linked. Seems to work. She charged me about £25 for the second guage and piping.

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks all. I went for the Ebay one I linked to in the end.Got the set for £240 without the gauge box as I am making up the control panel myself.

17polarbear

Free Member
Oct 19, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Newbie!
3 years on, How’re you guys who bought the eBay kit getting on with the Rubena bellows?

Sep 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard300
Exp
Since June 2020
Can only say that air assist made such a huge difference to the ride, noise levels and overall stability that I wouldn't hesitate to fit it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back