Air suspension recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
hi guys & girls

I'm thinking of getting air suspension

For my swift bolero

Would like to buy the kit and do it myself, where's the best/cheapest place to get one?

Tia

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The best is not the cheapest. I recommend the Dunlop system sold by Marcle eisure. The cheap system sold on ebay works but the quality of the airbags is poor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
AS air suspension based in Warrington did ours and it is the best thing we have fitted. Quality is top drawer but don't expect it to be cheap. They have a website.
Cheers
Bernie

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Have fitted air assist suspension to my Ford Transit.got the kit of eBay!Made a great difference.Made it in my opinion safer as less body roll when overtaking Lorries on motorways and I can pump it up when I tow my race car.cost me about £300 if I remember rightly.That and a remap were my best two upgrades to an already good vehicle.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
A big difference between air suspension and air assisted suspension - I presume you mean the latter, i.e. airbags fitted replacing the bumpstops above the rear leaf springs?

I've got the Dunlop kit sold by Marcle Leisure. Very pleased with it, fitted it myself with a gauge and air fill valve in the driver's footwell, an easy enough job. Good quality kit, makes my van handle a *lot* better, especially when cornering or being overtaken by / overtaking trucks on the motorway.

My van is both heavy and tall, it's an essential mod in my opinion for a van like mine. Also enabled an uprating to 4000kg - rather than 3850kg without - in my case.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You need to check what your chassis is before you buy, it could be ALKO which is different to the standard Fiat/Peugeot one.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm sure Dave newell does Diy kits, I bought replacement bags from him a few years back for the mobilvetta I had at the time

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm sure Dave newell does Diy kits, I bought replacement bags from him a few years back for the mobilvetta I had at the time

Sorry but no we don't do diy kits, we can supply and fit the Dunlop system for a standard Fiat chassis but Marcle (our supplier) no longer support the Dunlop kit for AlKo chassis and therefore we no longer offer air assist for AlKo chassis vehicles. Not certain but fairly sure the Bolero uses an AlKo chassis. Try AS at Warrington.

D.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I bel
Sorry but no we don't do diy kits, we can supply and fit the Dunlop system for a standard Fiat chassis but Marcle (our supplier) no longer support the Dunlop kit for AlKo chassis and therefore we no longer offer air assist for AlKo chassis vehicles. Not certain but fairly sure the Bolero uses an AlKo chassis. Try AS at Warrington.

D.

You are indeed correct the Bolero is based on the ALKO chassis.(y)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I could not find a supplier for self fit for the alko rear axle air assist.
We recently had glide-rite fit rear air assist. Have done few miles but was impressed with their approach and ability to let me discuss with engineer on day of fitting. Am pleased with their installation.
System has plated brackets for the firestone air bags, a compressor mounted under van in our case, guages and switches mounted on dash.
Cost now is, I believe £1450 Inc vat but check with CarlLeake 07764 271445. Their office number is 01428 751675 and they can fit at their premises in liphook Hampshire or Liverpool.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Wow - I'm sure that's a quality system but I think mine was about £350, fitted by myself though. No compressor but for the amount of times I need to change the pressure it's no problem - I just carry a cheap 12v plug-in compressor, the air inlet is on the gauge in the driver's step, so easy to plug it into the cigarette lighter socket and connect it up. If you can find anyone who will let you buy just the kit then fitting on mine at least was an easy job.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Wow - I'm sure that's a quality system but I think mine was about £350, fitted by myself though. No compressor but for the amount of times I need to change the pressure it's no problem - I just carry a cheap 12v plug-in compressor, the air inlet is on the gauge in the driver's step, so easy to plug it into the cigarette lighter socket and connect it up. If you can find anyone who will let you buy just the kit then fitting on mine at least was an easy job.

But was it for an Alko chassis? They are very different from the leaf spring standard fiat type.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
No, not for Alko, hence the "If you can find anyone who will let you buy just the kit" comment. I appreciate it'll be different from the standard Fiat chassis.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I recently had VB full air suspension fitted by SAP in Doncaster and am very impressed with the fitting and the ride improvement. They do rear only but not sure of the cost.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is an Al-Ko chassis you can't get di
For the Al-Ko chassis you can not get a DIY kit. Only Glide-Rite, VP, Goldsmitt & Al-Ko do systems for Al-Ko and Glide-Rite are the cheapest.
Also it's not an easy job you have to replace the suspenion arms.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
@Lenny HB
On my van the hubs were removed to fit longer bolts to enable the air bag bracket to be mounted on the swinging arm.
Goldshmitt go furthur, remove the swing arms and replace the torsion bars with weaker ones, meaning if an airbag loses pressure you need lowloader to recover you.
This of course makes Goldsmitt somewhat dearer.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Another vote for AS in Warrington. As said, not cheap, but excellent service ands after all, why skimp on cost and putting yourself at risk.
Do a proper job !!
:)

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
So I'm just going to check my chassis and if it's the Alko as stated earlier then by all accounts I can get AS of Warrington or glide rite or VP to supply and fit air assist system?

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Sounds like it - there's usually a label somewhere - my Bailey has a label with Al-Ko AMC on it.
Give AS a ring - they've seen most types so will no doubt give you the definitive answer.
They're very friendly people too !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back