Air suspension question (again) (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Does anyone think/know if there is anything to be gained by fitting air suspension on a tag axle MH, other than the ability to raise or lower it ?
Tag axles are fairly stable to start with, but do they ride and drive better with air suspension ?
I know most new trucks have it because it is supposed to impact less on the road surface than steel springs, reducing wear and tear on the roads. It also gives the trucks a smoother ride.
Is it possible to retro fit air suspension on the front end as well, or is that a non-starter ?

No very technical answers please, just simple to understand ones for a simple person. (y) :)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I presume you are talking about an Alko chassis?
Nothingmuch to be gained but plenty to lose, about £2500 -£3000.
Why are you considering it, is there a problem?

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I presume you are talking about an Alko chassis?
Nothingmuch to be gained but plenty to lose, about £2500 -£3000.
Why are you considering it, is there a problem?

Yes it's an AlKo chassis.
I knew it would be expensive but wondered if it was worth the expense.
There is no problem, but it would be nice to be a little smoother riding and be able to level up a bit easier.
Also, if we ever do manage to get abroad with the MH, it would make me feel better knowing I could avoid catching ferry ramps.
I have done that with HGVs, most recently with a low loader going to and coming back from a steam rally in Holland.

Just asking the question really to see what the feedback is. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just thought that I would see if anyone could add anything to the original question and see if anyone has actually done it.
As there was not a lot of response originally when I asked the question, I have begun to think that it may not be a common(ish) occurrence. :)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We are looking at fitting a system from Car Support nl . Looks a good system and much cheaper

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Hi spitfire.
I saw your thread and it looks a good system.
The problems I can see with it are that it raises the travelling height of the MH, front and back if both ends are done.
This means that the overall height of the MH is raised, so does this affect stability ?
Also, I find that the cab is high enough to enter and exit with out any increase in height. I am 5'7".
The system is also none adjustable once fitted and I would like to be able to adjust the height to suit the occasion. Such as ramps and steep inclines. I would like to be able to alter the height end to end for levelling when parking. Our MH sits nose down slightly normally, so to be able to lower the rear would be a bonus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back