Air suspension is there much difference in the ride , and any one fit then in Scotland

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Trout bum, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Charlie Farley

Charlie Farley Funster

Ratings:
    +50
    I went the route of goldschmit front springs(travelword telford)and glide rite rear air (Liphook Hampshire) excellent service on both occasions, it’s transformed the ride and I’ve uplated to 4750kg the looser was the dentist

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +946
    We have Goldschmitt on the front, night and day difference from the standard Fiat springs and never even considered doing anything with the front when we had rear air assist fitted.

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +23,857
    We have Goldschmidt on the front, crashes and bangs over every pot hole. Can't compare with standard springs as Goldschmidt has been standard fit on every Hymer we have had. Previous vans were fine but this one the ride is awful but this is the first van we have had with the heavy chassis. It's fine on good roads handling is great just rough roads and potholes it's a bone shaker.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  4. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +946
    I think you’re heading towards full air all round.

5. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,229
    I went down the route of Goldschmitt front springs some years ago on my 2007 B544SL, definite improvement as I think my original springs were getting tired, front raised about 60mm from memory and more compliant on potholes etc. Last year, having read good reports of VB full air I took the plunge and had it fitted by SAP in Doncaster. Wish I had done it years ago!

Recently returned from our usual drive to Spain and found it much more relaxing to drive, much smoother, no deviation when passing HGV’s, side winds less of an issue and no crashing over potholes. No lowering of the rear when loading wine in Calais.(y)

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +3,007
    We have full air and the difference is very noticeable.
    I left a number of things out at the side of the sink including a tall pump soap bottle (by mistake). We drove home from Peterborough and they were all still stood there when we got home. We were amazed.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Trout bum

Trout bum Funster

Ratings:
    +222
    Sorry folks but your going way off tangent with original request I'm not interested in full air suspension just rear air assist nothing more I was only enquiringly if anyone has had it fitted and what they thought of it that's all

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

Ratings:
    +2,187
    Like I said earlier, VB comfort fitted on the rear of my Burstner. Twin gauges and a little compressor fitted under the drivers seat to adjust it. Turriff Caravans.

9. Trout bum

Trout bum Funster

Ratings:
    +222
    Cheers Dan & Jan I will have a look at there site sounds exactly same as what I'm looking for

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +23,857
    What a Motorhome Fun thread going off topic no never.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All part of the fun and games on here.:)
    Probably wouldn't have gone so far off if you had said what chassis you had at the start.

11. Trout bum

Trout bum Funster

Ratings:
    +222
    Fiat camper chassis was mentioned 4-5 messages from original all over the top full suspension ideas were after that

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,647
    Errrrr ... he did ... :D

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Roger20

Roger20 Funster

Ratings:
    +34
    I have the Alko AMC35L light chassis with a 2000 kg rear axle limit (Hymer Exsis t 588 - plated at 3500kg allegedly but that's another story) @Hettie's Crew did rear air assist give you an upgraded axle rating as a result, what to and which system did you go for? I am only just realising, like @Lenny HB that an Exsis 588 and presumably other similar layouts with twin beds and big garage puts all it's weight on the rear axle. Worse still with a towbar and unlike our previous front lounge Autotrail Tracker you can't shift any heavy stuff forward. So now we are running closer to the 2000 kg rear axle limit than I ever anticipated and that's before I try the motorbike trailer with some noseweight. I thought we hadn't gone overboard with options but in hindsight we could have probably done without a GRP roof and large rooflight in the bedroom!

We like the narrow width of the Exsis, especially with medium arm mirrors and want to keep below 3500 kgs if possible but it looks like rear air assist might have to be the way forward. Otherwise stressing about being overloaded takes the fun out of motorhoming, especially if you can't run with a reasonable amount of water.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +946
    We chose the AS Suspension system from Warrington, great people to deal with.
    We also included the pump and have used it on a couple of occasions to prevent the rear end grounding on ramps etc. Think it was £1750 but about to go up in price at the time. We chose AS because it is lighter and cheaper than the VB equivalent.
    We also fitted 225/70 15 tyres with 112 index rating. Together this gave us an upgrade to 2240kg on the rear axle. We were 1970kg, rear, at the weigh bridge before the upgrade, not been weighed since.
    We used SV Tech and upgraded to 3850kg total, with 2240 rear, and 1950 front (we have Goldshmitt front springs)
    We also have the AMC35L chassis on our 2014 B544.
    The combination of the tyres and air assistance makes the rear more comfortable and more controlled. Our rear axle was always on its limit and felt like it was, though the rear end has risen a little due to the air bags taking the strain off the torsion bars.
    It used to sit flat but is now very slightly nose end down.
    The rear suspension now feels like it is working as it should do.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Ratings:
    +1,382
    VB, AS, Glide right/lite......you’re all made of money you lot.

We use two of these.
    Don’t feel a bloody thing.
    I’ve fastened one onto a commode for the little one in the back. Saves us time on pi££ stops.

070F9BB1-EBC4-408B-BAA8-9F759FE405FB.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +23,857
    Problem with the Exsis due to the single floor the is the water tank is behind the read axle we also found with the small 100 Lt tank we always ended up carrying 2 x 20 Lt containers of water in the garage.
    The DL we have now has the water tank central but not so important as we have 1300kg of payload with 500kg spare when fully loaded with full tanks and there is 400kg spare on the rear axle.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. MartinH

MartinH Funster

Ratings:
    +29
    Interesting thing is just had this done by GlideRite in Liphook and it is now £1100 including the vat for the bags, front gauge with independent inflation buttons and compressor fully fitted - have to say that is a bit more than some are quoting here!, BUT the sway has gone and so much easier to drive on an 05 Ducato X244 coachbullt

18. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Ratings:
    +1,062
    Sorry, but how can something so simple as a replacement for the bumpstops stop the air displacement from a 40 ton lorry affect the ride of a big lump of motorhome?

19. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +946
    It doesn’t, it reduces the side to side swaying that results from the initial impact.
    We feel ours getting effected when the lorry/coach goes past then after it becomes steady much quicker than it used to.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. MartinH

MartinH Funster

Ratings:
    +29
    And you don't smack down onto the bump stops when you cant avoid the pot holes

• Thanks Thanks x 1