LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sorry john i didnt mean as, as in the company but the air suspension and you answered that anyway lol thax

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
AS is something I've been pondering for a while.

A bit concerned about grounding the rear of the motorhome, especially for things like ferries...I 've got an Autotrail Dakota with a tow bar and I don't seem to have a lot of clearance between it and road.

So;
if I fit a system how much could I expect to be able to raise back end for the times I may need to?
Indeed can the back end be raised at all with these systems or are they purely comfort orientated?
So far all the photo's I've seen show the bags fitted to m'homes with leaf springs...I've got a torsion spring Alko axle. Are kits available for these on DIY fit basis?

Thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Getting mine fitted at Dave Newall on the 11th of this month Dunlop Kit fitted to a Fiat Maxi chassis on a Dethleffs globetrotter. I am looking for a big improvement in the ride and handling.

Dave fitted mine and did a great job. The difference will be immediately noticeable especially on the motorway.

Best money I have ever spent on my motorhome (y):)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

A bit concerned about grounding the rear of the motorhome, especially for things like ferries...I 've got an Autotrail Dakota with a tow bar and I don't seem to have a lot of clearance between it and road.

So;
if I fit a system how much could I expect to be able to raise back end for the times I may need to?
Indeed can the back end be raised at all with these systems or are they purely comfort orientated?
So far all the photo's I've seen show the bags fitted to m'homes with leaf springs...I've got a torsion spring Alko axle. Are kits available for these on DIY fit basis?

Thanks!

We fitted ours because the back end of our Autotrail kept hitting the floor. Not sure how much lift they have but enough to get back to original ride height in our case and a bit more to level van on site if needed.
Don't know about alko we have a Fiat chassis

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
I was worried that my insurance would consider this a modification, so phoned them beforehand. They said that provided it was fitted by a recognised trades-person, there would be no excess. I asked if Watling Engineering would qualify and they said Ok!
I was recently weighed and told that because I had air suspension the 30kg overweight on my rear axle would not be a problem if I fitted tyres with a wider profile.

NOTE: Air Springs do not increase the load carrying capacity of your vehicle, they only improve driving and handling characteristics when carrying a load or towing. Never exceed your vehicle’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

Terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
NOTE: Air Springs do not increase the load carrying capacity of your vehicle, they only improve driving and handling characteristics when carrying a load or towing. Never exceed your vehicle’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).
Terry
Not so, depends on the chassis, my Al-Ko chassis has a rear axle limit of 2000Kg, both Hymer and SV Tech have confirmed that it can be increased to 2240kg by fitting air assist springs.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Getting mine fitted at Dave Newall on the 11th of this month Dunlop Kit fitted to a Fiat Maxi chassis on a Dethleffs globetrotter. I am looking for a big improvement in the ride and handling.
I will be interested in your out come and look forward to a report regarding ride quality after having them fitted.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Not so, depends on the chassis, my Al-Ko chassis has a rear axle limit of 2000Kg, both Hymer and SV Tech have confirmed that it can be increased to 2240kg by fitting air assist springs.

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

Not talking about individual axles but the GVWR.

Terry

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Fitted Dunlops system(via Marcel Leisure) over Easter to to my Burstner Tag axle. Having looked and studied the instructions over the previous few weeks- thought it would take me about an hour to fit each set of brackets and air bag -WRONG!
I discovered that I had to drill the chassis to mount the 'fixed' brackets, as only one of the four holes need to mount the bracket are actually there, there is a cross member in the way, the mounting bolts of which are in the way of the mounting holes for the new bracket, the brake line tee piece bolt had to be drilled & tapped into the new brackets otherwise it might foul the air bag.
Fitting the 'moving' bracket & air bag took about 30 mins, connect up the air pipes I had previously fitted, job done
Very pleased with end result, but not a quick job to do

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if you are in a rtc and the plods find it was down to a diy air suspension you will not be covered by your insurance and the money you saved my cost dear hope this help get it fitted by a trades person ray
AS Jaws has said that isn't correct.

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

Terry
& you won't be prosecuted if the axles aren't over & the GVM is.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

Terry

This is quite wrong! SV Tech have increased my GVWR by the fitting of Dunlop air suspension. It also increased the weight rating of the rear axle and the weight rating of the front axle remained unchanged. I suspect that it is all down to each individual make/model of motorhome and the chassis that it is on as to what can be achieved. But to state that the overall gross weight cannot be improved by fitting air suspension is quite wrong for most vans I suspect!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had AS fitted air suspension assistance systems fitted to the rear axle of 2 of our previous MHs and certainly if we had a coach-built again we'd be making a b-line for them to fit it! It makes a heck of a difference not only to the comfort but especially the handling, it turns a wallowing whale into a sleek shark by comparison!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is quite wrong! SV Tech have increased my GVWR by the fitting of Dunlop air suspension. It also increased the weight rating of the rear axle and the weight rating of the front axle remained unchanged. I suspect that it is all down to each individual make/model of motorhome and the chassis that it is on as to what can be achieved. But to state that the overall gross weight cannot be improved by fitting air suspension is quite wrong for most vans I suspect!
Quite right. I went to SvTech to uprate my van to 3700kg and was told that if I wanted to up the payload more ( up to 4250kg) I would need new tyres and rear air suspension.
So, it can be done, as long as the chassis is suitable
Allan

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp

I don't understand how can someone come along and alter the chassis Manufacturers maximum operating weight just by fitting an aftermarket item ?

Terry

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The manufacturers use the same chassis for different vehicles so they are not always plated at their maximum

E.g. Some down plate to keep within the 3500kgs limit for some drivers licences.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Any feed back yet on your new air bags?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

So;

Thanks!

Not a direct comparison, but on a leaf-sprung Ducato X244 with the Maxi chassis, my air suspension raises the back end by about 2 and a half inches when fully inflated. Definitely helps, and the extra clearance provided a bit of reassurance when going on and off some Scottish ferries a few weeks ago! I run mine at 60psi (100psi is the maximum) and it keeps the back end about 2" higher than without.

The biggest improvement though is the handling - still no sports car, but it doesn't roll nearly as much when cornering, and straight line stability is vastly improved - very noticeable when passing trucks on the motorway, my van isn't pulled off line by the air passing around the truck nearly as much as was happening pre-air suspension.

Last edited:

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Any feed back yet on your new air bags?

Hi had the Dunlop air suspension fitted yesterday and can say already that the motorhome feels a lot more taut if that is the correct word to use. At three metres high it wallowed around roundabouts and now feels like its on rails. The motorhome has risen one and a half inches at the rear wheel arch pumped up to thirty pounds pressure, there is scope for more adjustment so I will have to have a play. If any one is considering getting it fitted I would say you will not be disappointed.(y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted a Dunlop system from Marcle and really easy job. Had the one with single pump up valve with gauge and two switches. Open both n/s and o/s switch, pump up on level ground then knock both switches off, both air bags same pressure both sides.
Opposing air bags (as in n/s & o/s) should NEVER be pneumatically joined. Not only can it seriously effect on the roll (side to side), it can cause SERIOUS body weave once it gets going.
:eek:
Brian, get it separated - please.(y)

Hope it helps.

Trikeman.;)

That could be a picture of the install I did on my van, it's identical! The Dunlop kit from Marcle Leisure I found was very easy to fit myself, the quality of the gauge assembly is good, and I carry a cheap 12v compressor if I want to change the air pressure when out & about. Red for Right and errr, bLue for Left.......

Trikeman, I think you need some air in yours and the valves closing to get the full effect..... ;):whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back