LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all...my air pump has ceased up. this is to pump air through the intake and through the exhaust. has anyone else had this problem
dave:cry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi all...my air pump has ceased up. this is to pump air through the intake and through the exhaust. has anyone else had this problem
dave:cry:

Is this a petrol or diesel Dave?

Sounds more like a supercharger. You mentioned a Belt drive in the other thread.

Good Luck with the MOT.:thumb:

Last edited:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Hi Dave, Steve

Dave if you have a chevrolet etrol engine :

sounds like the fored air into exhaust emmision system.. pump is the top most belt driven device on chevy engine..

forgotten it's acronym..

Supposed to help burn emmisions out of manifolds by adding oxygen, in reality just dilutes the emmisions. Thinking of removing mine , the problem is, it is the point of belt adjustment for that belt.. Would suggest you do the same Dave but we need to be able to keep that belt tight, it either does waterpump or alternator, not sure

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Ah Right I got you now.

Some form of emission control:thumb:

Does this restrict inlet or exhaust flow if it is not turning?

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Steve.. no not as such..

what it does though is restrict airflow in the exhaust ports all the time :)

the manifold nozzels should be ground away and holes plugged, to get a nice airflow back out of exhaust and a healthy power increase AFAIK ... been reading a good tuning book mainly based on chevy engines..

also, the pump has to sap some power..

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
nah ;)
maybe later

I cant get my manifolds off , silly bolts with shallow heads and a lot of rust.. think i will concentrate on carb rebuild, first, then when shes running, empty the ever filling black tank::bigsmile:

whats news on yout MoT

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
nah ;)
maybe later

I cant get my manifolds off , silly bolts with shallow heads and a lot of rust.. think i will concentrate on carb rebuild, first, then when shes running, empty the ever filling black tank::bigsmile:

whats news on yout MoT

Ouch Don't mention The Black Tank.:Doh:

Yep It passed.Just needs a new exhaust Box some time as it's getting a bit ropey.

How's the carb coming along?

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
just payed a guy in florida.. carb should begin an interesting journey to be at this farm in about 2 weeks, dont ask :Smile:

In the meantime, new rad to be fitted, cooling pipes altered, may drain the autobox, some damp in the overhead, a damn good clean of exterior, plus a million other jobs. got dad coming down over easter from Newcastle, so will put him to use for a day..

well done for mot, i got mine in Jan..

Last edited:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I was quite lucky with the rad.. they are only about £135 new delivered, but banbury motor spares had a virtually new one for 65£ delivered, got it last week, looks perfect, may only have been on previous vehicle for a few mothns.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all...
update the bongo passed the mot.

motorhome is still in dock.

been on to west midlands American motors and they say take it of as not needed in uk.mine is a ford but some cheveys have to one each side.so the fan belt will be different.the garage is trying to free it but if not going to bypass it
dave

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi all...
update the bongo passed the mot.

motorhome is still in dock.

been on to west midlands American motors and they say take it of as not needed in uk.mine is a ford but some cheveys have to one each side.so the fan belt will be different.the garage is trying to free it but if not going to bypass it
dave

Excellent News Dave.:thumb:

Hope you can sort the RV.

Is it a standard "v" belt?

I had to re-instate my belt arrangement after someone had messed it all up.

Just measured each individual belt run (allowing for the ability to adjust the tension) and went down to the local Motor factors.

Bought 2 of each.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i had a belt from linda witch seemed to small but if not running the air pump might just be ok maybe the standard belt is for none air pump models

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
just beesn on phone to dave evans my mechanic he has taken it of and unseized the pump put it back on and while backing out of gararge it siezed up again he is not a happy chappy:cry:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:) just found out on my engine, the air pump and alternator share a belt BUT it's the alternator that adjusts,, so, I can remove the airpump from the loop, and get a smaller (70cm) belt that just does alternator.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back