Air heater ducting insulation (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Anyone ever looked at this?
There seems to a lot of heat losses before the vent outlets around our van. Around the heater there‘s a lot of heat that just soaks into the surroundings at the back of the van under the storage area. And it also radiates into the adjacent bathroom which ends up like a sauna.
Very similar ducting to previous caravans we’ve had that have no insulation on them. Seems a real waste. Must be a more energy efficient way to minimise loses?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
There is a more expensive blown air ducting that is better insulated as used when pipes pass outside under the floor of a Motorhome, often black. I guess you could lag them too?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have been looking into this as well, even some acoustic ducting and I can’t find anything in 3”. Most is 4” up.
I would be interested what others may come up with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
how about this i know its 100mm but does that really ma, maybe run the existing ducting inside it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I covered all our blown air heating ducts in "Armaflex" pipe lagging, made a big difference as the hab space was now getting heated rather the the cupboards and lockers.
This lagging is split so you can cover the ducting in situ rather than having to remove the ducting to cover it.

1607199547166.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds good, I wouldn't mind getting a bit of extra heat to the back of the van but if I insulate the pipes under the floor to achieve it I would end up with a cold floor.
Could be worth doing the smaller 30mm pipes that run up to the outlets that run along the sides of the beds.
Will have to have a look.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I thought that routing some of the air ducting through lockers/cupboards was to purposefully heat them to prevent cold spots and ultimately condensation/damp?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
In my case I don’t mind te heat loss as it’s inside the van. I’m more after to dampen the fan noise as I have short runs on 75mm and it can be a nuisance. Somebody on youtube have installed an acoustic ducting that can withstand the heat, with amazing results but can’t find it. I have tried with the intake lengths to balance the flow, a small improvement but not quiet like the acoustic duct. I will give armaflex a go.

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Agree that some ducting acts as a heat emitter, but around the heater itself there is definitely scope to reduce some of the heat being radiated.
When I took the TV out of the storage compartment it was very warm. That serves no purpose.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Alde actually recommend ducting the gas flu in Armaflex to reduce noise. It worked a treat on mine.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Perhaps the tv not suitable, but, any solid object it helps with storing heat as thermal mass. The heavier the van the better heat storage. This works both ways, winter and summer.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The problem is that the more you insulate the ducts the more likely it is that the water pipes in the lockers etc will freeze in very cold weather especially if they are close to the external skin. Uninsulated ducts (and pipes with Alde) are all part of the designed winterising of motorhomes. That is why the ducts and heating pipes are usually close to the water pipes.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The problem is that the more you insulate the ducts the more likely it is that the water pipes in the lockers etc will freeze in very cold weather especially if they are close to the external skin. Uninsulated ducts (and pipes with Alde) are all part of the designed winterising of motorhomes. That is why the ducts and heating pipes are usually close to the water pipes.

Ours is a British made motorhome Peter, so none of the above applies. :ROFLMAO:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ours is a British made motorhome Peter, so none of the above applies. :ROFLMAO:
Well it does still apply a little bit Paul. It means you will no longer be able to use it when it is "a bit nippy", which is, as I understand it, the British standard definition of winterising :ROFLMAO:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I found this out when lagged all of mine and used the van, we went out 1 nght and stayed at the pub/hotel we visited as we had trouble getting a taxi back to the van. When we went out we left the heating on low and the forecast was to freeze.
As we hadnt got back till the morning the pipes had froze, not rock solid but enough to not draw.

The lagging I had added had made the garage cupboard where the pipes run too cold, along with the low temp we left the van on. I thnk if we were in the van and having 22 degrees it may have been ok . I have now stripped a section of the lagging from the ducts and also lagged the water pipes.

Deleted User
I found this out when lagged all of mine and used the van, we went out 1 nght and stayed at the pub/hotel we visited as we had trouble getting a taxi back to the van. When we went out we left the heating on low and the forecast was to freeze.
As we hadnt got back till the morning the pipes had froze, not rock solid but enough to not draw.

The lagging I had added had made the garage cupboard where the pipes run too cold, along with the low temp we left the van on. I thnk if we were in the van and having 22 degrees it may have been ok . I have now stripped a section of the lagging from the ducts and also lagged the water pipes.
Depending on how old the motorhome is , whether it is winterised , double floor / single floor etc .
Any pipes that you may have that are "external to the motorhome" ie running under chassis lag as much as possible, the other pipes are normally run in a way to help keep water pipes and possibly your main water tank from freezing , keep damp etc at bay, as well as keeping us warm.

If i lag pipes i would do this in small sections at a time, watch and feel for the effect of your changes.

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Depending on how old the motorhome is , whether it is winterised , double floor / single floor etc .
Any pipes that you may have that are "external to the motorhome" ie running under chassis lag as much as possible, the other pipes are normally run in a way to help keep water pipes and possibly your main water tank from freezing , keep damp etc at bay, as well as keeping us warm.

If i lag pipes i would do this in small sections at a time, watch and feel for the effect of your changes.
I agree with all the suggestion that people have made but because our pipes run under the floor and can be seen when i lay underneath would it be a disaster waiting to happen,we keep our vehicle in storage so would it be a cost home for mice

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I agree with all the suggestion that people have made but because our pipes run under the floor and can be seen when i lay underneath would it be a disaster waiting to happen,we keep our vehicle in storage so would it be a cost home for mice
Double floor vans presumably, like mine, have all the heating pipes between the two floors thus ensuring that in a freeze with the heating on the two water tanks and associated pipes do not freeze also. Lagging them would therefore defeat the object of the design.

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I lagged mine as others have done in my previous van, made a huge difference to the heating, but after about 8-10 months i had problems with damp, i ended up removing most of the lagging and the damp disappeared
i think it must have been designed with heat loss in mind to keep things dry and ice free.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What’s the general view of lagging water pipes that are under the chassis exposed to the elements ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back