Free Member
May 3, 2015
Herts, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a Daystate Huntsman, Daystate Mk4, BSA Ultra and a Brocock as well as a couple of pistols. Sadly our shooting ground closed about 18 months ago and we haven't been able to find anywhere close since then, but still looking (and hoping). Nice to know there are other Funsters that enjoy shooting. Might even get around to trying shotguns this year.
Ali

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had air rifles since I were a lad, bought my first ( ASI Sniper from my Mam's catalogue) back in the 70's. Still got an HW 35 Export (long barrel, walnut stock) and a BSA Hornet which is a nice gun for the money, but the 10 shot mag sometimes skips a couple of shots and I need to strip it down as I'm having trouble getting air into it. Got a seal kit off eBay for it but it's on the to do list once I work out how to safely drain the reservoir.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
it's on the to do list once I work out how to safely drain the reservoir.

With a PCP, easiest way is to just keep dry firing it until the pressure drops down to below around 70psi. After that the seal will give way and dump the remaining air.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Had air rifles since I were a lad, bought my first ( ASI Sniper from my Mam's catalogue) back in the 70's. Still got an HW 35 Export (long barrel, walnut stock) and a BSA Hornet which is a nice gun for the money, but the 10 shot mag sometimes skips a couple of shots and I need to strip it down as I'm having trouble getting air into it. Got a seal kit off eBay for it but it's on the to do list once I work out how to safely drain the reservoir.
fire it of till depleted the only way I know as above
bill

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
All the competition guys do it this way, especially if returning home by air travel. Doesn't seem to take long.

Brian

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
So cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

I will speak to other Club committee members tonight will a view to a guest day.
There are a couple of likely rally venues locally, a Shoot It Meet might be a real possibility if all the paperwork can be squared away.

Watch this space.......

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Air arms S510 side leaver 177 ,Ripley XL9 22, Webley springer 22 and 177 barrels ,made night vision from sony night cam
using Night Hunter 300watt IR,use for Target and vermin.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK, in principle, a Funster guest day at my club is possible.

I will check on nearby rally venues.....

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got 3 shot guns but haven't been out with them for a while

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
My club shoots small bore, gallery rifle and fullbore.
However any guest day would have to take place at our clubhouse with its 25m indoor range.
It would be a visit shooting .22 rimfire and .38/.357/.44 pistol calibre carbines.
The club is Kings Lynn St Michaels Rifle and Pistol Club.
If you Google us, you will find our website.

http://www.kingslynnstmichaels.org

I will post a meet if I can find a nearby rally venue. There is one I have in mind which would also have fishing access to the River Nar.
The nearest pub is a 2 mile walk so it would definitely be bring a bottle!

My next action will be to contact them and see what they can offer.

This meet, if I could make it happen, will require attendees to have to submit names and addresses to the Club in advance for police approval. Anyone with skeletons in their cupboard would not be able to attend the Club.

I will try and make this happen, but there are plenty of hoops to jump through.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It's ok to go shooting with John as he uses a very quiet gun on the estate so as not to wake up the lady in the big house when he shoots the pheasants. Haha.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
very graphic image on this post do not enlarge if easily upset
bill

Attachments

• 11146233_433785540127601_1770914778259217998_n[1].jpg
    11146233_433785540127601_1770914778259217998_n[1].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My club shoots small bore, gallery rifle and fullbore.
However any guest day would have to take place at our clubhouse with its 25m indoor range.
It would be a visit shooting .22 rimfire and .38/.357/.44 pistol calibre carbines.
The club is Kings Lynn St Michaels Rifle and Pistol Club.
If you Google us, you will find our website.

http://www.kingslynnstmichaels.org

I will post a meet if I can find a nearby rally venue. There is one I have in mind which would also have fishing access to the River Nar.
The nearest pub is a 2 mile walk so it would definitely be bring a bottle!

My next action will be to contact them and see what they can offer.

This meet, if I could make it happen, will require attendees to have to submit names and addresses to the Club in advance for police approval. Anyone with skeletons in their cupboard would not be able to attend the Club.

I will try and make this happen, but there are plenty of hoops to jump through.
a choppy of my enhanced CRB will be attached to I think john
bill

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Whoohoo! just won first place tonight at the Idleback range shooting my Brocock Atomic pistol against some very nice Steyrs and Air arms Alpha Competion variants:) must admit to fancying the AA Alpha:( but need to sell off some pistols not used recently.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Shot HFT for a number of years. Just have my Daystate Mk4 IS now but had a decent collection of guns which are now sold.
I havent shot the Mk4 for ages other than just to check it over and charge the battery...

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Fine collection you had. I still have a Daystate Airwolf, far more accurate than I am with an air rifle.

Brian

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Fine collection you had. I still have a Daystate Airwolf, far more accurate than I am with an air rifle.

Brian

My first gun was an Airwolf. But it was a bit heavy for target shooting what with that big under slung air tank..
I started out into shooting as we had dozens of rabbits on the land behind the house that ate the garden. So I go out and buy an Airwolf. Soon as I have a rabbit in the crosshairs I just couldnt shoot it !
So I went into target shooting where .177 was the king and sold the Airwolf...

Love Daystates !

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Yes, I did the rough shooting thing, first with air rifles then shotguns. Then I discovered I don't really like game meat, including all the mess that goes with it.

Changed to smallbore target shooting some years ago, in fact off to Germany on Monday for a competition. Five nights camping on the range for free - motorhomes and target shooting, a match made in heaven :D

Brian

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I successfully completed the school of infantry small arms instructors course in the 70's and after leaving the armed forces have never fired a weapon again. However, these modern pellet riffles look brilliant and extremely advanced. Would I be right in thinking the muzzle velocity and range are restricted to a defined maximum ! I'm guessing that this is one aspect of the weapon that has not changed because of gun laws
Incidentally, if shooting rabbits how far away could you shoot from tom obtain a clean kill.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I successfully completed the school of infantry small arms instructors course in the 70's and after leaving the armed forces have never fired a weapon again. However, these modern pellet riffles look brilliant and extremely advanced. Would I be right in thinking the muzzle velocity and range are restricted to a defined maximum ! I'm guessing that this is one aspect of the weapon that has not changed because of gun laws
Incidentally, if shooting rabbits how far away could you shoot from tom obtain a clean kill.

I'll let Charlie answer your question about air rifles, he's probably got more experience than me in that department.

Now you are out of the forces, the description has changed to firearm, people get a little touchy calling them weapons when in civvy hands :LOL:

Brian

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'll let Charlie answer your question about air rifles, he's probably got more experience than me in that department.

Now you are out of the forces, the description has changed to firearm, people get a little touchy calling them weapons when in civvy hands :LOL:

Brian
Thanks Brian. To me, one and the same! anyway asked the question on Google and got this.
From a legal definition (in 46 of 50 US states) All firearms are guns but not all guns are firearms. The distinction is that in most US states, firearms are defined in the law as a device which which utilizes an explosive charge (gunpowder) to fire a projectile. But there are also air rifles and pistols, which are commonly called BB guns or pellet guns, but which are not commonly called "firearms," since they use compressed air or CO2, not gunpowder to propel the projectile. There are also toy guns, such as airsoft or paintball, so gun is a more general or broad term that could be applied even to toys, which look like firearms, but are not.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
No problem.

The law in the UK, for an air rifle, is the power must not exceed 12ft/lbs (and I think 6ft/lbs for an air pistol).

You need to be careful with an air rifle, as it's easy to exceed that merely by using a different weight pellet.

Brian

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
In England, to be a non licenced air rifle it must have a muzzle energy less than 12ft/lb. If above this then a Firearms Licence is required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back