kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Morning ! we were browsing the stalls at the NEC on Fri & came across some chaps selling 12 volt portable air conditioning units.Just wondered if anyone has any views /opinions on them ?I believe their made in Australia.Our dometic 1500 is just a glorified fan so we were thinking of renewing it at a cost of £1300.but these were retailing at just under £300.We like to use aires & wild camp on occasions so thought one of these might be ideal.What dy'a think ?.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any chance of saying exactly what the product is?

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi minx girl ,I'm afraid I didn't take note of the product ,carried on walking past as there was a bit of a crowd & we were going back to the van.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That' s the one, thank you for the link.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
That item I believe just blows air over water to cool the air ..not really an air conditioner..i had a larger one some time ago in the house and to be honest wasn't impressed..but dyor . Roy

Reactions: kip
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Not air conditioner, it's an evaporative cooler. It works best in high temperatures with very low humidity. Probably OK for OZ outback but not much use in Europe. As part of the process it requires a good air flow through the space so all windows open.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Evaporative cooler means moisture........... that has to ring alarm bells.

Apr 22, 2014
Sigglesthorne East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Bought one at the last NEC show. Not had chance to use it in the motor home as not experianced any warm weather since!
It is used frequently in our bedroom at home. We add a few drops of Albas oil, then leave running for about an hour on the lowest setting, prior to bedding down. (Apparently the Aussies put citronella in theirs to keep the mosquitos away?)
The room is fresh and crisp when ready to go to bed.
Hearing it at the show I didn't realise how loud it is, especially when on full power. I imagine and hope that in warmer climates, left running in the van, will certainly reduce the temperature.
Overall I am happy with the unit.
If it's air con you are comparing it too, I think the size and cost of the unit should tell you their is little comparison.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only way you can cool a space is to pump heat out of it. This is what a conventional air conditioner does.

Evaporative coolers give the impression of blowing cool air at you but it is laden with moisture - and if the moisture condenses on you the moisture gives up the heat it absorbed when it evaporated.

As said, there may be places they work but for Europe I would just buy a fan - then as your perspiration evaporates it will cool you with the same mechanism but without the heat coming back to you.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was going to rabbit on about needing to dry the air etc. But then I saw that COOL R-V in picture 2. I want one!, first one for me and herself, second for the kids and 3rd for the animals. How cool is that!.

pete

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013