DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I day dream that one day I will have habitation air con put on the Pilote P740GJ. The question is where? Has anyone had an air con installed? Was it roof or under bench?? How is it now?

Whats the day dream - Southern Europe of course.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
This cheap split system is an option..

I like the idea of one of those on the south facing bedroom in the house. Much better idea than the 'portable' air con we have at present.

But, back to the original question, we had a Dometic roof air con installed (in place of the rear roof vent) when the van was new. My only regret is that we did not insist on the 'Soft Start' option. (The dealer was much more interested in his profits than what the customer wanted. They don't sell new Hymers anymore:giggle:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I like the idea of one of those on the south facing bedroom in the house. Much better idea than the 'portable' air con we have at present.

But, back to the original question, we had a Dometic air con installed when the van was new. My only regret is that we did not insist on the 'Soft Start' option. (The dealer was much more interested in his profits than what the customer wanted. They don't sell new Hymers anymore:giggle:)
You can buy a real one for much less.

<Broken link removed>

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

But, back to the original question, we had a Dometic roof air con installed (in place of the rear roof vent) when the van was new. My only regret is that we did not insist on the 'Soft Start' option. (The dealer was much more interested in his profits than what the customer wanted. They don't sell new Hymers anymore:giggle:)
You can pick a 2.5kw house wallmount up for about £300 (I remember samsung having an offer on of £289+vat)
All you need is some pipe and a pipe flaring tool 👌

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I day dream that one day I will have habitation air con put on the Pilote P740GJ. The question is where? Has anyone had an air con installed? Was it roof or under bench?? How is it now?

I would go for the roof mount, more efficient than the bench type units, mainly due to the fact hot air rises and cool air falls. In my last van there was ducting for a portable aircon unit, that was quite good but the portable aircon is quite noisy but balance that with it being around £300 rather than over £2,000.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Panasonic own Daikin (or did) so that will be good.
I think Panasonic and Daikin had a joint venture. As far as I know, Panasonic don’t own the Daikin brand.

I have a Daikin multi split at home in the UK. I installed it 23 years ago, R22 system. Only problem I have had is a noisy condenser fan, replaced under warranty.

So, I went to the expensive of Daikin multi splits at our house in Spain. A mix of Emura & Stylish. Very good kit and worth the extra cost if you are going to use it a lot.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I would go for the roof mount, more efficient than the bench type units, mainly due to the fact hot air rises and cool air falls. In my last van there was ducting for a portable aircon unit, that was quite good but the portable aircon is quite noisy but balance that with it being around £300 rather than over £2,000.
Just locate the duct outlets high up. The good thing with ducted is. You can direct to where needed. For example, bedroom, lounge & kitchen. With roof mounted, Its located in one area. So if you have a bedroom with a door like we had on our Frankia, no cool air reaches that room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

Had Truma Aventa compact on Pilote P650 fitted in place of the 400 x 400 skylight .
Just removed it recently prior to it being traded in
553DAE75-E8B5-458E-85CB-0B3FAAB624B6.png
553DAE75-E8B5-458E-85CB-0B3FAAB624B6.png

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Just locate the duct outlets high up. The good thing with ducted is. You can direct to where needed. For example, bedroom, lounge & kitchen. With roof mounted, Its located in one area. So if you have a bedroom with a door like we had on our Frankia, no cool air reaches that room.

Our experiences are different, our aircon diffuses the cool air nicely along the moho. I looked at ducting but had no idea how I would get it to all the various spots and some of the runs would be very inneficient.
If you have the space then I can imagine they are a solution worth looking in to, for us any space at floor level is very precious!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back