Aug 26, 2018
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi all,
I’m looking to spend more time in Spain, I’m a complete newby at motorhoming so my question is how important is it to have A/C either in the cab for driving or other A/C forvwhen hooked up.
Your experiences and comments will be very welcome
Cheers
Barrie

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It depends when you're going. It would be very uncomfortable driving without it mid summer.

OP
OP
Belbaz
Aug 26, 2018
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
That’s my concern, driving in the south in summer is very “warm” in a car so with a large screen like a Hymer I thought it might be a tad sauna like

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cab A/C more or less essential in my view but the habitation area A/C's need mains electric and are noisy. You can get used to it, we did when living in Kuwait but it took a while.
My suggestion would be cab A/C and avoid the hottest parts of the year. :)

And a big 12 volt fan, the Endless Breeze is very good but there are cheaper alternatives.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We have been at the marina aire at Almerimar for the last few days, force 6-7 winds with gusts in excess of 35kts. 31 degrees clear sky's. So to have the windows and hatches open was like being in a wind tunnel and a test fro the roof hatches, after a day we shut them all and put the AC on. Peace!

Reactions: DBK
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No air con in my van but sometimes you have to make do, had this 12volt Roadpro fan in the garage for 5 years.
5DC4C4FC-2497-406A-AAEB-2B8A85E8192C.jpeg

Reactions: DBK
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Cab air con is a must. Hab air con is a matter of choice. We have hab air con but it is very noisy and not to powerful. More powerful units take a lot of electricity and more than a lot of sites have. If I were choosing now I would have a fan instead of the air con

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We've had two types of air/con: 12V evaporative (surprisingly effective) and 240V.
Now have a (12V) 'Fantastic' vent, used on extract and is moderately effective.
12V can be used anywhere but less effective than mains. Did not use air/con much (noisey) but often use the extractor now. Not sure how good it would be in really hot conditions, though.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
One late August evening in mid Spain we had 38c at midnight.

July and August for me, air con is a "must have" accessory.

We visit Spring and Autumn usually and the cab air con is almost always on.

This Spring excepted - it snowed or rained almost all of the time :(

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We just keep the inside as dark as possible during the day, and use a couple of mini USB / 12v fans powered on the USB sockets each side of the bed at night. We bought ours in AKI and they're like these: Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• Instrucciones_de_montaje_utilizacion_y_mantenimiento_ref_7955350.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I've just been to Croatia ..the Dutch caravan next to us had a roof mounted Dometic aircon unit that was running so loud it was disturbing....to make things worse they had the windows wide open and sat outside with it running on a south facing pitch ...they even went out and left it like that. So am I a fan of it ? (pun not intended)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I've just been to Croatia ..the Dutch caravan next to us had a roof mounted Dometic aircon unit that was running so loud it was disturbing....to make things worse they had the windows wide open and sat outside with it running on a south facing pitch ...they even went out and left it like that. So am I a fan of it ? (pun not intended)
Bl##¥^y typical, most habitation aircon users seem to want to air condition the whole site.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
This summer we used usb rechargeable fans. Fix one onto the bottom bunk where the dogs are and the other in the dinette area for us. Charge whilst driving is no problems and the charge lasts all night on low to Med setting. Big advantage is that they are clip mounted and you can turn them at different angles so all areas can be covered. Disadvantage is that they can run out during the night whilst on high setting. Cab aircon as others have said is a must, although these fans can be and were used in the cab.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

I am surprised no one unplugged it for him. Especially the site management. (y)

OP
OP
Belbaz
Aug 26, 2018
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Oh dear, looks like I’m going to have to start my looking again

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Ask of those who go to Spain in Summer:
Do you have A/C &, if so, do you use it?
If you don’t have A/C, do you wish you did or not?​

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We've put a thermal curtain up behind the cab seats to keep the cab a/c in the cab, works brilliantly. a/c in the hab when on 230v.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We have done the summer this year in Portugal, many days over 40 deg. Not a problem in daytime as outside but at night was too much. We don’t have aircon, but had 3 fans running 24/7. If I’d had aircon boy would I have used it, even sat in the cab area with the engine running the cab using the cab aircon some nights for a a bit ( in an A class) but overall those nights are a few, and mostly you can cope as long as you’re sensible and park away from direct sun, so for the price of a grand.............well worth it for a few nights, but overall, I’d leave it.
............a bar and a pool however are essential !

OP
OP
Belbaz
Aug 26, 2018
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
The Hymer I was thinking of doesn’t have any AC not in the cab of the hab. Given the amount of glass in a class A it seems that cab AC is an essential as a minimum.
I live part time in the south of Spain and know how hot it can get in a normal car, I just had no idea on Motorhomes

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have done the summer this year in Portugal, many days over 40 deg. Not a problem in daytime as outside but at night was too much. We don’t have aircon, but had 3 fans running 24/7. If I’d had aircon boy would I have used it, even sat in the cab area with the engine running the cab using the cab aircon some nights for a a bit ( in an A class) but overall those nights are a few, and mostly you can cope as long as you’re sensible and park away from direct sun, so for the price of a grand.............well worth it for a few nights, but overall, I’d leave it.
............a bar and a pool however are essential !

We paid around £2500 for the air con on our Autotrail and as we usually only travelled Spring and Autumn hardly used it.

In Germany one Autumn it was 38c and the damn thing could not cope.

I bet it worked out about £100 a day for the number of times we used it.

But Spain in the summer I don't think I could live without it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
IMHO, it would depend on what part of Spain you are going to be in and when. I know that it can get hot everywhere for many months but also, it can be cool for many months of the year and the North hasn't been scorchio on our 3 summer visits. In our experiences, a large PVC is cooler than a car anyway and A/C is nice but not essential in the cab. We have it but would probably survive for 8 months a year with out it. Habitation A/C would be nice in July & August - especially in the South when it also gets very humid but you might find that time of year too hot to do much anyway so moving North would be a nice change.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

We had the same with a French motorhome at Cambrills, all windows and door open, air con cutting in and out and sat outside. :rolleyes:
Janie went round and explained how air con works, although the wife was very interested he refused to understand English and turned it Off. .............brilliant .(y) :LOL: Bob.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Some of earlier Euro aircons worked on evap principle , so you need windows open . But would be surprised if many or any about now .
Cab aircon is very nice to have , allows driving to be a lot more pleasant . The hab aircon fitted to most wont cope with daytime very hot days , the real benefit comes at night when it can be difference between a good nights sleep and not . My RV has two hab units , I changed the bedroom unit to large Euro one , as the OE one was too much elec load for most Euro EHU . If I want both units on then the genny has to go on , which is not always good neighbourly , although very quiet .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We had the same with a French motorhome at Cambrills, all windows and door open, air con cutting in and out and sat outside. :rolleyes:
Janie went round and explained how air con works, although the wife was very interested he refused to understand English and turned it Off. .............brilliant .(y) :LOL: Bob.

I used to have customers like that. :mad: Just couldn't understand the principle of how it worked.
Here I would say my car air con would only be unused for less than 1 month.
It isn't the temperature that is the problem but the rise in humidity.
I find that having it running is enough to make it far more pleasant without having to lower the temperature much.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back