Air Con (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
IT only uses 350 w which means that even if it's super efficient with a 3 fold efficiency factor then it will remove 1000 a watts of heat per hour.
Which is not going to make any inroads into heat inside your MH.
It will produce a cool draught to sit in front of, but that's about it.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Has anyone bought or tried one of these?
http://www.coolmycamper.com/
Yes I have seen a cool my camper unit in a 7 meter caravan in 35c temperatures and it kept it at 23c although the unit was running all day from 9 in the morning before it got really hot

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think our air con unit is 9,000 BTU and it was running flat out to maintain 20 degrees in our van (7 metres) yesterday. I would sincerely doubt that this would perform anywhere near as well!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have one of these built into the roof. It takes the place of a standard 400x400ml roof light. Quite efficient, and run on 12 volts.

trav1.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The problem with Dometic air con is that it's most suited to being used on EHU. It will work off an inverter, but will quickly drain batteries.
A good fan is more useful if wild camping or using Aires.
We had a roof vent fan removed so we could fit Air Con - I regret this now

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Fleshed out review please .
OK, fleshed out a little.
We originally had air con fitted by the dealer who sold us the van. We had terrific trouble with water pouring in through it whenever it rained. That unit was used a lot when we were on holiday, but it was very noisy, and couldn't really cope in hot weather. I can't remember what model it was, I asked @eddievanbitz to chuck it in the bin when he replaced it with the new one! :D
Anyway, the new one, so much quieter when running, the led lighting works from 12v and it seems to push out much colder air. My daughter and I slept in the van the other night with it running with no issues.
One feature I do like is the 'I Feel', push this, and put the remote in the area where you are. The transponder in the remote transmits the temperature every 10 minutes. I know lots have this, but it didn't work on our old one!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The problem with Dometic air con is that it's most suited to being used on EHU. It will work off an inverter, but will quickly drain batteries.

Spot on (y)
Luckily we have all options covered.
Aircon for when on ehu
A nice big 14" fan which runs all night off the inverter and just had a 12v roof vent fitted in the bedroom as part of the refurbishment work we're having done.
Pick the van up tomorrow hope its a good job :eek:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We have one of these built into the roof. It takes the place of a standard 400x400ml roof light. Quite efficient, and run on 12 volts.[/ATTACH]
Fancy you mentioning this again after the brickbats you got last time - how is your legionella :whistle: ?

:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yup very true, off the inverter the aircon draws 50amps, so would kill the batteries in about 2 hours. For the times we are off grid we use gin & tonic! :D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Fancy you mentioning this again after the brickbats you got last time - how is your legionella :whistle: ?

:D
Cured! And I didn't think anyone would remember............:( Apart from THAT, it still works great, and does the job. Could do with some spares though, but struggling........

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
OK, fleshed out a little.
We originally had air con fitted by the dealer who sold us the van. We had terrific trouble with water pouring in through it whenever it rained. That unit was used a lot when we were on holiday, but it was very noisy, and couldn't really cope in hot weather. I can't remember what model it was, I asked @eddievanbitz to chuck it in the bin when he replaced it with the new one! :D
Anyway, the new one, so much quieter when running, the led lighting works from 12v and it seems to push out much colder air. My daughter and I slept in the van the other night with it running with no issues.
One feature I do like is the 'I Feel', push this, and put the remote in the area where you are. The transponder in the remote transmits the temperature every 10 minutes. I know lots have this, but it didn't work on our old one!
To add to your list;
It also has a 'soft start' feature which means it draws less power on start up, therefore reducing the likelihood of tripping EHU

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
To add to your list;
It also has a 'soft start' feature which means it draws less power on start up, therefore reducing the likelihood of tripping EHU
I did not know that!
Another one, it has an auto mode, so it will cool or heat depending on the internal temperature!

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We are off to Portugal in Aug / Sept so I'm hoping that that sweltering experience will sway my wife to let me open the wallet !

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We are off to Portugal in Aug / Sept so I'm hoping that that sweltering experience will sway my wife to let me open the wallet !
That's what swayed my wife. After years of renting with no aircon, I just said "shall we fit air con" and she said YES! In fact I think she said it before I finished the sentence!

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
That's what swayed my wife. After years of renting with no aircon, I just said "shall we fit air con" and she said YES! In fact I think she said it before I finished the sentence!

I've been after the air con for ages , she's got to succumb soon !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Anyone know if these Dometic units can be regassed.?
Didn't think mine was as efficient last month as it previously was.
Had my cab ac regassed last year tremendous difference but they don't do roof ac.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Got air con already fitted to my oldish van , thought will never use that ect . Been a life saver these last couple of days though .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Besides the air con that comes on with the engine running I have two other units. The 1600 watt roof mounted Dometic with the same features @DanielFord mentioned over and the much larger underfloor unit that I only use if on EHU.

I noticed under the 38 degree inside the van days we've had the last couple of days that the roof mount manages well as long as it is fired up early in the day.

I switched it off on two occasions to allow the batteries to recoup some power and it kept the temp down to a pleasant 23 degrees C, I'm fairly impressed, standing in front of it is very good for my wife who still suffers from hot Flushes.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tried to get my Dometic / Electrolux air con re gassed (2003 model) and couldn't find anyone who supplied the gas required. Can't remember the type of gas it uses now but it's been discontinued in the interests of saving the planet I think.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
This is a carry on from the RMB thread underfloor layout. I'm looking at aircon options for RH. Was intending going for the Freshjet unit in place of the Fantastic vent in the kitchen area (moving that to the vent in the bedroom) BUT Vanbitz had a look and said wasn't viable as the kickup in the roof would stop it fitting properly (the Freshjet). So other possibility without going into the double floor which I can't see into (though @Popeye has given me an idea) was under the side seat except only unit that would fit there is noisy 55dB not the nice quiet slim underfloor unit Dometic are now flogging based on same tech as the Freshjet.... Dont want to put it on bedroom skylight as it will raise the van height even more.

So, clutching at straws I wondered if anyone had any long term experience with the Cool My Camper portable units? I'm not looking at trying to cool RH in Southern Spain in summer but to bring down ambients of around 30C for the cat and dog. Wondered if one of these units would be up to the job in a very well insulated , van with proper blinds and suchlike? I'd seal the window gap of course.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s

Get it now!! You will need it,it's close to 40 coming days in the Alentejo,
Been mid to high 30's since we got here on Monday,work from 6-10 in the morning and that's it.We bought our mobile home as a winter place but had a specific need to be here for six weeks,I honestly don't know how I will last.
l.:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back