Air Con Regas (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Wending our weary way back from Woodside Field Rally to Scotland via all points north has been quite hard work in the hot weather and the cab has struggled to get below 26 Celsius, and was between 28 and 31 degrees for most of yesterday. Then I had a thought; the aircon was pushing out cool air, but not air con cold standard. Brunhilde is a tad over 5 years old, and I cannot see any record of the aircon being regassed [and she was sitting on the Dealer's forecourt for 6 months from October 2020...]. Has anyone else bothered with the regas exercise?

Booked her in for regas tomorrow morning before we swan off out of Fife again for the remaining 4 weeks of the lunacy that is the local Funfair directly opposite our flat ... [infection rates risen over 300% since early July as riders scream and drop globules of spit and who knows what else onto the riders below and the spectators on the ground ... Brunhilde looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards, but we might have take her out in her present dishevelled state to escape the crowds with more money than sense ...

Fingers crossed for the AirCon Regas!

Steve

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We've got an 08 plate MH owned by us for 7 years. Last service I had the AirCon regassed.
Like yours, it had stopped working and was blowing air at ambient temperature.
Regassing sorted the problem

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When they're getting low sometimes 1 or 2 vents are cool and the others are just circulating ambient air. That would indicate a tiny leak though, usually there's that little gas in the system if there's a leak it all goes.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
They will drain the system first before testing it, then refilling it. Doing this will show if you have problems and how low on gas you were.
Go to a proper regassing place with the big machine as this adds lubricants as well as gas. Also this will check for leaks . When I tried to get my car done Halfords would only fire in some gas from a cylinder. Local autoshop had the big machine and not much more expensive. I had a leak so they put in leak detection fluid, found and fixed it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I added a curtain pole behind the cab seats at the bulkhead junction. I put a shower curtain on that which can be slid across to reduce the size of area trying to be cooled. It seemed to work fine on the way back from South Wales on Mon in 30deg heat, as a bonus, it also reduces the ambient sound levels to a low drone of clangs and squeaks.
Mike

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
They will drain the system first before testing it, then refilling it. Doing this will show if you have problems and how low on gas you were.
When we had our air con matrix replaced on the Hymer, a full drain down and complete refill using a pucker machine with guages and controls was carried out.
The results were excellent, with a much more noticeable drop in temperature from the vents. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Aircon regas completed this morning at a cost of £79.95 and now nice and cold! Of course, the outside temperature has fallen from that of yesterday! Fingers crossed that the A/C is restored to permanent health and that there are no leaks or condenser problems et seq. Also refilled the new refillable gas system. Provided the cabaret for the other motorists at Morrisons, with loudspeaker commentary by the Cashier ...

'The customer using the LPG, please put the hose back and start again. It's timed out ...' And they all know who I am, 'cos you have to go into the kiosk to pay for LPG purchases ... It's the Walk of Shame ... Well, it would be were I not shameless ... I just tell them that they need me as a benchmark! :LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
How well should we expect the aircon to work in our motorhomes? I'd have thought that the systems were designed to cool the relatively volume just a van cab? Surely it's going to struggle with several times the internal volume of a motorhome? And especially for a-classes with the massive greenhouse on the front.

Tip: when it gets really warm, try turning on re-circ. It gives the aircon much less work to do on each pass. Slightly stale but cold air is a hell of a lot nicer than stuff freshly scooped off the melting tarmac that's only had a couple of degrees knocked off it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
How well should we expect the aircon to work in our motorhomes? I'd have thought that the systems were designed to cool the relatively volume just a van cab? Surely it's going to struggle with several times the internal volume of a motorhome? And especially for a-classes with the massive greenhouse on the front.

Tip: when it gets really warm, try turning on re-circ. It gives the aircon much less work to do on each pass. Slightly stale but cold air is a hell of a lot nicer than stuff freshly scooped off the melting tarmac that's only had a couple of degrees knocked off it.
Fair point re the volume of air, but we travel with the blinds closed to reduce the heat build up, and we had slept with the 3 vents open for overnight coolness. The main area of strain was the absence of a regas during the previous owner's ownership. I was invited to 'put your hand over the vent' in the final few seconds of the regas and could feel very chilled air ['pure dead Baltic' in Scotland!], rather than the previous day's valiant effort to produce some cool air.

Good tip for the recirc setting; thanks!

Steve

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Simpletons view……..
No aircon, blower bashing out warm air
Regas then,
Trip to Ipswich (about an hour) then….
Glorious cold air there and back

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I've had a few re-gasses by proper kit and none of them have found small leaks. They can only measure to a certain vacuum and pressure margin and small leaks don't get detected. The system usually loses enough of it's gas after about 4-5 days. They're pretty basic systems but unfortunately they tend to be some of the first bits fitted during manufacture so changing bits is usually a royal PITA

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back