Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
This may be a daft question, but can you have air conditioning inside a camper that does not require the engine to run, and if so, is it mains electric only?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Effectively mains only so hookup required. There are 12v ones available;

1.Evaporative coolers, use little electricity but are not very effective.
2. Compressor types, use a lot of electricity and very expensive.

Unless you are always staying on a site with ehu I wouldn't bother. A good fan vent will do a pretty good job of keeping you cool at night, which is the most important if like me you cannot sleep if too hot. Air con is usually too noisy to run at night.
I have this fitted over the permanent bed
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-R...-motorhomes/Fiamma-Turbo-Vent-with-Thermostat

Johns Cross do sell this though its difficult to find on their site for some reason.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have Dometic aircon which is original equipment running through a 500w inverter or hook-up.
As said - too noisy to use when sleeping but used it once to cool van down - once in 12 months.
Would I pay to have aircon fitted? - no - not unless I planned to spend Summer in Spain
A quiet fan and open vents will do for me.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I thought about this when building our van, there was no way I was going to pay near on ÂŁ1500 for something roof mounted like the dometics, I built a cupboard just inside our entrance door and bought a portable domestic air con from curry's, this fits in the cupboard and is vented through the sidewall, does the job at a fraction of the cost of the ones made for motorhomes/caravans. Technically they can't be that much differant certainly not enough to warrent the cost, It does only run on mains but we are almost always on cl / cs sites, in the winter we can remove it all together just unplug and wheel out and we have an extra storage cupboard . You can also get one for caravans wher one part is in the caravan but the condenser hangs outside with flat pipework draped through a slightly open window.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Effectively mains only so hookup required. There are 12v ones available;

1.Evaporative coolers, use little electricity but are not very effective.
2. Compressor types, use a lot of electricity and very expensive.

Unless you are always staying on a site with ehu I wouldn't bother. A good fan vent will do a pretty good job of keeping you cool at night, which is the most important if like me you cannot sleep if too hot. Air con is usually too noisy to run at night.
I have this fitted over the permanent bed
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-R...-motorhomes/Fiamma-Turbo-Vent-with-Thermostat

Johns Cross do sell this though its difficult to find on their site for some reason.

We have the same fan fitted above the bed and love it as you can control the fan speed and the noise. We also have the Dometic aircon, but find that is too loud for sleeping.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back