Jeffers_S13

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
2004 Apache 700SE
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have very recently bought my first MoHo, a 2004 Apache 700.

The back end is 'saggy' looking the twin leaf springs are practically flat and the bump stops are almost touching them, maybe 1" gap.

Do I need to fit some bags? what are the benefits? why do others fit them?

Thankyou

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Bags probably cheaper than replacing the suspension

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
strained springs dont get better with air bags. there are uprated springs available at reasonable cost

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Have decided on double springs on the advice of the Spring manufacturer, ( Jones Springs, Walsall) who manufacture and supply at a very good price.Will report on ride and handling when fitting is complete. Pair of Rear Springs £24o ex works can't be bad!
as above

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would go for air rides or similar. Cheap enough and easy to fit and you have some control over your ride height and if you think about your installation can have some control over your levels as well.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I’d fit air bags because it appears the springs are not quite up to the job and adding the air bags will give assistance to them. This will give you adjustment, setting the air pressure to whatever suits your needs.
If you go for new springs, what you get is what you have with no provision for adjustment, other than adding air bags later and making the rear end higher/harder.
Having said that, I’d have to be sure the existing springs are not damaged and give them some maintenance, cleaning them up and checking the mounts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes..
One of my past Van's was a 2005 Apache 700.
At that time they were built on the commercial van chassis which is narrower to today's wider purpose made chassis for motorhomes. It will give a better ride and handling in bends/corners. The 700 has a large overhang so will lift the back end and stop any grounding.

Big one makes a good point that the rear springs are no doubt worn and replacement is a further option but if I had to choose the air suspension will be my choice. Kits available on Ebay and pretty easy to DIY fit.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You don’t need to fit airbags, but it will help with raising the rear, so look better, and protect the rear overhang. It will also stop the wobble when you overtake lorries. I found it smoothed out the drive, making it less crashy as the bump stops come into contact.

I fitted an air system with onboard compressor and I find it great kit. I’m often altering the pressure dependent on what I’m doing. Also has modern looking gauges and controls, unlike most other that look like they should be in old gin palace boat.

My controls
89B7245E-C539-414F-B68E-43CBEA62211D.jpeg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back