AiLi Battery Monitor as an affordable alternative to Victron BMV (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I know. You're all sooo good but I feel bad asking so much!
Never feel you can't ask, the replies are a bonus to all that use the forum. Not only that all these old farts like imparting their knowledge on us young'un's, it's what they get up in the morning for :giggle:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have to agree with Lenny HB. The Victron monitors when properly set up, give you the confidence to accurately rely on your battery capacity when off grid. If you are on EHU and have a built-in battery charger, I'm not sure why you'd need one. But if you're intending to be off-grid, a "monitor" without the facility to set tail current, charge detection time, CEF, Peukert exponent and time-to-go averaging period is going to be so inaccurate within a very short time as to not be worth the bother.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I know. You're all sooo good but I feel bad asking so much!
Never feel llike that CamperJack this is one of the most helpful forums. And always remember you contriibute to others too.
We cant all be as expert as some of the members, but we can all contribute in our own ways that help pthers that follow. EG your campervan conversion tips/tricks will be here for years for others to stumble on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
All us Nerds. :rofl:

Having been in a situation where I needed accurate battery information I find it essential, I'll agree it not important if you use EHU, we don't.
Agree, I have a bmv and relied on Victrons auto settings, (we do EHU and also I wild on my own quite a bit)
since I changed my batteries to these blutooth lithiums https://www.qualitysource.co.uk/products/novel-series-12v-200ah
that has its own bluetooth app, the Victron was out compared to the batteries own monitor and to test the difference i used to reset the Victron SOC and synchronise the odd time but within a short time the 2 monitors were out again.

Worth setting up like a "nerd" if you ask me :roflmto: but Ive not yet !?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks, Lenny HB . I get the point you're making. It's valid. However half the trouble I would have is setting the correct details into the Victron. It's still all a bit beyond me. I'd need someone to help me do it I think, and without that there is no point.

Im not even sure what voltage I should be looking at for my batteries!

They are 2X 120ah Hankook xv110mf.
In your first post you made the point you wanted a percentage readout, you are never going to achieve any accuracy with the Aili.
The Victron even on the default setting will be more accurate and it will probably be quite accurate down to 50 - 60% it just needs tweaking if you want it accurate over the whole range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
In your first post you made the point you wanted a percentage readout, you are never going to achieve any accuracy with the Aili.
The Victron even on the default setting will be more accurate and it will probably be quite accurate down to 50 - 60% it just need tweaking if you want it accurate over the whole range.

I'm under the impression that they shouldn't go down below 50% anyway.

Not sure what the batteries even are. I think it's just a standard lead acid sealed leisure battery. But I do know they are calcium, which I think means they have a higher voltage.

It does say on them that they are 50% at 12.1V.

Don't know if they are AGM or even what that means.

Any advice on how to do the tweeking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
CamperJack I'm just about to put my Victron BMV700 and bluetooth dongle on the classified if your interested, £115 including delivery.

The only reason I'm parting with it is that I have swapped it out for the Victron BMV712 which has built in bluetooth as I needed the port the bluetooth dongle connected to for another use.

1618241163093.png

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
CamperJack I'm just about to put my Victron BMV700 and bluetooth dongle on the classified if your interested, £115 including delivery.

The only reason I'm parting with it is that I have swapped it out for the Victron BMV712 which has built in bluetooth as I needed the port the bluetooth dongle connected to for another use.

View attachment 484160

I'll message you. 👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back