Ahoy! (1 Viewer)

Caramammal

Free Member
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - yet.
Exp
Hey everyone, i'm a newbie. Hubby and I have just laid out our 3 year plan, and getting a MH is the ultimate part of that plan. 3 years seems a long way away, but we plan to do all our research now, choose the make/model that we want and in 3 years buy a 2nd hand version of the model we want (at that point around 5 - 7 years old, although we're totally flexible).

Of the MH and layouts i've seen so far, i'm really liking the Autotrail Scout or Apache 700, with rear lounge. We'd be looking for a 6 berth as we'd be taking family and friends away with us too. Hubby prefers the swift Kontiki with a fixed rear bed, so i guess we're going to have a fair few ..ahem..discussisons about final layout.

Looking forward to trawling the forums to get up to speed on all we need to know about MH life and touring.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Caramammal, once you start looking I doubt you'll want to wait 3 years. :) You have it right though, look for your new van by choosing the right (for you) layout first, the wrong layout is the number one reason why people change a van soon after they buy it. Meanwhile welcome to the fun (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome to Fun. You will get lots of advice on the forum.
Don't forget you'll need seat belts to match the amount of passengers. Unless it's an older vehicle , then as far as I'm aware, if you actually wanted passengers to be unbelted. It's legal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Jims spot on there...one thing that you will quickly realise where planning and motor homes are concerned...the plan always changes:D...3yrs...once bitten that will be down to...now and maybe even now with a foot stomp for good measure(y)

we dipped out toe in and rapidly moved through to van number 4 in a couple of years - we have had that one now for 3 years so not to bad, works for us etc.

One down side we have (think its a similar challenge to yours) is we work full time so dont get away nearly as much as we want to, or for as long...just wait till the annual migration south starts and you see posts of folk havin a great time down in the sun somewhere for months on end...whilst its dark and cold back here...

OP
OP
Caramammal

Caramammal

Free Member
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - yet.
Exp
thanks guys! ralph n bev, thats interesting about the seatbelts. I will definitielty look into that. I've always been a bit aghast that rear seatbelts in cars are mandatory and yet get 30 kids on a school bus and there isnt a seatbelt to be seen!

Jim and Bungy, i have been stomping my foot for a long time :) not sure HOW im going to wait 3 years - I would seriously get a MH right now but am waiting to hear about my job (there is an organisation re-shuffle), and am also being financially sensible by paying off existing cars before embarking on another 'mahoosive' expense.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:smiley:The good thing is you are giving yourself plenty of time to research lay outs size and what you think will work for you.

You are right it is a big expense and needs to be used, don't think of buying a new one to much depreciation straight off, but with the right van there is so much fun and freedom to be had, places to visit you would never have thought of. Keep researching and if you decide it is for you your life and leisure time will be a lot more fun.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome.

We have an Autotrail Scout. Prior to that we had a fixed bed van

A fixed bed is great at bedtime but ( in my view) a waste of space for the rest of the time, which in turn severely interferes with decent lounging space especially in the Winter or if the weather is bad.

Have fun choosing.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Apart from layout and the number of seat belts you also want to make sure there is enough payload.

If a 6 berth van is only rated at 3.5 tonnes the payload will almost certainly not be enough. Some vans can be up-plated cheaply and easily, some need expensive modifications and some can't be up-plated.

When we were looking one dealer told us the plating was "just a guide" but it isn't. If you overload the vehicle may be a danger and you are breaking the law. If a dealer won't discuss payload then walk away.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Hi & welcome
It took us 7 months to find our van & fixed bed was a must but we soon realized we didn't like any fixed layout & the beds were naff.
We found the right compromise & in hot weather like this leave the bed made up so there is our fixed bed

Best tip is to actually pretend to use the van, make a meal, lay the table, make the bed, sleep in the bed, show guests to the toilet with table up etc etc . It done wonders for us & we soon started crossing off different layout s

OP
OP
Caramammal

Caramammal

Free Member
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - yet.
Exp
thanks everyone, i feel welcome ;) I have a lot to learn about the techy side (i'm not one to leave all that to hubby), so things like payload mean little to me at the moment, thank goodness my default button of 'impulsive buyer' has been re-set to 'seriously cautious until properly informed'

;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I may be wrong, but my suspicion would be any 6 berth, which isn't a bus sized RV is going to be a bit cramped if it has 6 adults on board, assuming it even has seats for 6 people to travel in it. Might be OK if you are all really good friends!:LOL:

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Caramammal,
We also had a 3 year plan leading up to my retirement in 2016.
It involved research on which motorhome to buy, downsize on the house front,and planning which trips to take.
So far we have purchased the motorhome , sold the house , moved by the seaside and been over to france 3 times.
Still got 2 years of the 3 year plan to go.
Hope your 3 year plan goes as smoothly as ours. Lol

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I may be wrong, but my suspicion would be any 6 berth, which isn't a bus sized RV is going to be a bit cramped if it has 6 adults on board, assuming it even has seats for 6 people to travel in it. Might be OK if you are all really good friends!:LOL:

I agree.

We do have 6 belted seats and we are 8m but 4 is perfect for it.

Reactions: DBK

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This is a copy of a earlier post
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 which suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying

Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi and welcome

Don't forget storage inside and outside, and how will you get around when you have parked up, will you have bikes, do you need a garage for the bikes or would you be happy with them on the back where would BBQ go etc etc. Some people say a fixed rear bed is a waste of space others like me think that this is dual use space as the garage is underneath and is important to us. Everybody has different needs and priorities so keep looking and talking to people.

It's good to go to one of the outdoor shows and walk around and talk to as many people as possible and they will tell you what works for them and why.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back